Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American culinary terms

Wikiposts

American culinary terms

Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:41 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American culinary terms

harping on the sifting the flour bit.

The act of sifting the flour introduces air into the flour. Typically needed in baking as you want the bread or biscuit or pastry to be light and airy. You will often find that once the flour is sifted - you 'fold' it into the wet mixture in order to try and keep as much of the air in ( as opposed to beating or stirring it in which loses a lot of the air youve just sifted in- same principle with adding meringue - you fold it into the rest of whatever your making to keep the air in the beaten egg whites).

so i would never sift the flour into the measuring cup - i would sift the flour after measuring and patting it down/levelling, as i then want to add it to the recipe to get the most air in and keep it in. And if the mixture just wants you to beat / mix it in - its probable that you dont need to sift it anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

I may have to look into this sifting flour business, may explain why my attempts at Yorkies resemble pancakes
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:02 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of 'culinary' tradition is there for a reason - we just dont understand why so often dismiss it a rubbish. For instance - making tea. They always say use freshly boiled water. Scientifically each time the water is boiled it loses some of its oxygen content. That helps create movement in the water that moves the tea leaves around and makes a better brew. If its lost some of the oxygen already by being previously boiled the leaves dont move so much and the brew is weaker. Same thing for warming the pot (or adding milk to the tea before its brewed) - the movement drops as the temperature decreases so the tea doesnt brew as well.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:46 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
harping on the sifting the flour bit.

The act of sifting the flour introduces air into the flour. Typically needed in baking as you want the bread or biscuit or pastry to be light and airy. You will often find that once the flour is sifted - you 'fold' it into the wet mixture in order to try and keep as much of the air in ( as opposed to beating or stirring it in which loses a lot of the air youve just sifted in- same principle with adding meringue - you fold it into the rest of whatever your making to keep the air in the beaten egg whites).

so i would never sift the flour into the measuring cup - i would sift the flour after measuring and patting it down/levelling, as i then want to add it to the recipe to get the most air in and keep it in. And if the mixture just wants you to beat / mix it in - its probable that you dont need to sift it anyway.

I don't think anybody was saying that you shouldn't sift flour but rather that a decent recipe will (1) tell you how much flour you need and then will (2) tell you whether or not you need to sift it.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I don't think anybody was saying that you shouldn't sift flour but rather that a decent recipe will (1) tell you how much flour you need and then will (2) tell you whether or not you need to sift it.
The last person I saw using a flour sifter was my grandma, and that was about 40 years ago
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The last person I saw using a flour sifter was my grandma, and that was about 40 years ago
I do
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I do as well
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I use the term "sieve" which my kid will finish with 'ter".

Tried explaining the diffence between a sieve & a sifter..& it;s not a 'sieveter" etc got nowhere.

Now call it "the bowl shaped mesh thingie"... goes with the "metal shovellly thing with holes" that I use to lift eggs from the fryng pan...
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have you all know that I never sift flour and am locally renowned for my baking
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:51 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about recipes today, but one time you had to watch out, some recipes called for a cup of flour, sifted; while others called for a cup of sifted flour. This is where the advantage goes to measuring by weight.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:32 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

When I used to bake with my Mum as a kid my favourite part was sifting the flour
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:59 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

With modern milling techniques, you could make a cake side by side with sifted and un-sifted, and probably see no difference these days. I guess it depends who the mill is as well and the protein content of the flour along with the hydration of the formula.

I had an amazing three milk cake yesterday!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy

I had an amazing three milk cake yesterday!
Por favor, "Tres Leches".
(aka 'to die for')
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

hamlrt will become famous soon enoughhamlrt will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
It's not one of the five mother sauces, but it is a sauce you can make more dishes from, right?

We could add Tomato, which really should be a mother sauce, to the list. This will send shock waves through the culinary world.

Its funny you mention it because I was reading The Saucier's Apprentice on Amazon just this week.
Hello there
You are right its not one of THE actual mother sauces , but it is kind of ...
as its a base for many other dishes (mainly dessert type ones)........

Have you read Kitchen Confidential by Alan Bourdain...he is a famous american chef i believe ....its also a bloody good read
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:52 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hamlrt
Hello there
You are right its not one of THE actual mother sauces , but it is kind of ...
as its a base for many other dishes (mainly dessert type ones)........

Have you read Kitchen Confidential by Alan Bourdain...he is a famous american chef i believe ....its also a bloody good read
Anthony Bourdain I think you mean, if so I've not read any of his books, I have watched a few of his shows though. A friend of a friend worked with him for a bit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.