Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American citizen, wants to move to UK to work. Father British citizen, need advice.

American citizen, wants to move to UK to work. Father British citizen, need advice.

Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

owenmc60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American citizen, wants to move to UK to work. Father British citizen, need advice.

Hi there everyone. I'm new to this forum, but came across it whilst trying to find a answer to my friends issue, hope someone can help

My friend is an American citizen, he was born and raised there. He is planning to relocate to the UK to work. His father was a British citizen (now deceased) and was married to his mother (American citizen). His grandparents were also British citizens.

He has all the copies of the original birth certificates for his father and grandparents.

What are the stipulations for him to gain a British citizenship through descent, or even just permanent residency?

What is the process for him to apply and attain either of those statuses? And what supporting documentation would he need to supply?

I greatly look forward to your advice on this, from me and my friend, thank you!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:57 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American citizen, wants to move to UK to work. Father British citizen, need advic

Hi

I'm not as versed on the steps necessary but as the US wakes up in the next few hours you'll get some better replies.

You might also want to look at the counterpart of this site:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com

That's for Americans living in the UK and talks about the various things they need to deal with.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:10 am
Just Joined

owenmc60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American citizen, wants to move to UK to work. Father British citizen, need advic

Thanks so much for your advice! They have answered my query
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

He might already be a UK citizen.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

If he is, he just needs to apply for a UK passport.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, he's probably already a Brit, but it depends on when and where everyone was born as to whether citizenship was passed on or not.