Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Christmas present ideas for family in UK

American Christmas present ideas for family in UK

Old Nov 18th 2019, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

britmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American Christmas present ideas for family in UK

We are flying home to the UK for Christmas for the first time in ages to visit family (grandparents, siblings, cousins, etc.). When people visit us here they often bring typical British food items for us, which is always much appreciated. I'm scratching my head as to whether there are typical American things, food or otherwise, that we could take over as unusual presents for our British family. Can't be too heavy, bulky, or fragile, due to having to take them in our suitcases. The one thing I was thinking of is maple syrup, especially since we live in a syruping area, but since that is not terribly original any other suggestions would be very welcome!
Old Nov 18th 2019, 1:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Christmas present ideas for family in UK

Originally Posted by britmama
We are flying home to the UK for Christmas for the first time in ages to visit family (grandparents, siblings, cousins, etc.). When people visit us here they often bring typical British food items for us, which is always much appreciated. I'm scratching my head as to whether there are typical American things, food or otherwise, that we could take over as unusual presents for our British family. Can't be too heavy, bulky, or fragile, due to having to take them in our suitcases. The one thing I was thinking of is maple syrup, especially since we live in a syruping area, but since that is not terribly original any other suggestions would be very welcome!
As well as maple syrup, maybe locally made jam or honey. Candy or chocolate that isn't commonly available in the UK, ditto savoury snacks. Local dried fruits and natural or candied macadamia nuts. American cheese, dressings (eg ranch).
Old Nov 18th 2019, 1:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for items for young people (and some not so young!), I find they love US sports team t-shirts, whether they've heard of the actual teams or not! And they pack easily . . .
Old Nov 18th 2019, 4:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

American wine. Not California or Washington, which of course is available in the UK - but New York or some other slightly obscure region. Hopefully the wine will be drinkable, or at the very least, a novelty.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If you are looking for items for young people (and some not so young!), I find they love US sports team t-shirts, whether they've heard of the actual teams or not! And they pack easily . . .
Not just the kids

Clothing is generally much cheaper in the USA. Perhaps a decent pair of Levi's or something may go down well.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 6:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Twinkies - small, light and indestructible.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 7:37 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone likes cooking you could try a cookbook of local cuisine, though you'd probably have to have a flick through to make sure it wasn't full of things you can't get the ingredients for in the UK. You could always go to a big and tall shop and buy someone a massive pair of undies, I know my mom enjoyed pointing out that people are fatter here when she visited.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Not just the kids

Clothing is generally much cheaper in the USA. Perhaps a decent pair of Levi's or something may go down well.
Yeah, jeans are SO much cheaper here
Old Nov 19th 2019, 1:27 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

My go to is stacks of these... mainly for stuff like secret Santa... find a random object and bundle these and wrap with paper, easy to hit the $20 spot on... best one ever was with a cucumber.... the guesses were intriguing...

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 2:38 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As well as maple syrup, maybe locally made jam or honey. Candy or chocolate that isn't commonly available in the UK, ditto savoury snacks. Local dried fruits and natural or candied macadamia nuts. American cheese, dressings (eg ranch).
^^ This, it depends on their age & gender but in a recent 'care package' I sent to a friend in the UK included Hershey chocolate she cant get locally (and M&M's peanut butter), life savers/twizlers, and teeth whitening strips (I've had a bunch of UK friends stock up on this when they've visited), Female wise there are items in stores like Ulta/Sephora that are cheaper or simply unavailable n the UK. For Male friends/family I've gone to random places like Spencers, Sharper image to find gadgets and items. I've also sent back 'Americana' that I've found in touristy stores from various States over the years, something unique.etc (one I also sent over recently was a NY State shaped cheese board).

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by tom169
Yeah, jeans are SO much cheaper here
Yes! Walmart of all places does Levi's for like $20, and for other clothes - Ross, TJ Maxx & Century 21 (the day I found out about C21 was a good day!).
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
American wine. Not California or Washington, which of course is available in the UK - but New York or some other slightly obscure region. Hopefully the wine will be drinkable, or at the very least, a novelty.
Yes, if you can get your hands on wines from the Finger Lake region of NYS that would a great choice. Some fairly decent ones from Long Island, NY.

If you have a Cracker Barrel in your area, stop in there and have a look at all their products. Some really unique gifts, old-fashion hard to get candy, peanut or pecan brittle, etc.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 23rd 2019 at 2:50 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

There are tons of m&m flavors that you get here that you can’t get in the UK and they also go awesome m&m dispensers, we got a cool one of miss Liberty that l am sure young or old would enjoy but they bulky!
l tend to buy lots of clothes or sportswear. Also baseball gloves are one of my fav go to for kids.