Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American airlines.

American airlines.

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:41 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: American airlines.

Hubby flew with AA every time save one (which was on United) and he was fine with them - though he prefers being on a 777 if possible. I have always flown AA to London (Nashville-Chicago-Heathrow) and had no complaints.

As has been mentioned, probably not the 'frills' you might expect with BA but we could never justify the extra $$ that BA wanted. I guess it's all what you make of it.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:57 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies folks
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Over 2 million miles with AA, so I have some experience with AA (88 transatlantic trips in 22 years, 15+ transpacific and uncountable inter-US jaunts!). However economy is economy on any airline. Small seats, crap food and indifferent service are the low standard they will probably fail to achieve. I'd advise eating before you get onboard and dropping a sleeping pill. Avoid the 767's (several ORD-LHR and DFW-LHR routes) and do not even contemplate the 757 (MAN-JFK), that is no fun at all! Go with a 777, they have individual TV screens and will keep you occupied for a lot of the flight, assuming you don't sleep. Noise cancelling headphones and liberal use of alcohol should make things slightly easier. Prepare for 2 days of back and butt pain once the ordeal is over!

Good luck

- Tim
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

One tip... since AA planes have a habit of having the poorer entertainment systems, if you can, check which plane you're on and use this website to make sure you request a seat with a power port. Then bring a laptop or portable DVD player along with sound cancelling headphones. Makes life considerably more tolerable.

http://www.seatguru.com/
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

AA are bobbins to be sure. I used to fly them a lot a few years back when they used to sell themselves on a 34" seat pitch in economy. A couple of years and they were back to 31" and then had nothing going for them. Crap in-flight entertainment on many aircraft, older, dirtier aircraft and particularly miserable sods for FAs. If they're half the price - or are the only ones flying direct to where I want to go - I'll use them. As a rule of thumb, I find all American carriers worse than EU or Asian ones.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:14 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Speaking as an Ex Tart with a Cart, I can tell you not all economies are the same, unfortunately with my many encounters with different American airlines I really have to say they all give pretty much the same service, which is no where near the standard of British airlines.

However if you are nice to the Flight Attendants they will be nice back, listen to what they ask and you should be good to go, oh and if you smile at them, you may even get a smile back.

Oh yeah and safe journey mate, remember all the rules on liquids and stuff, they are pretty strict in the UK, good luck
Old Jun 4th 2010, 6:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: American airlines.

Originally Posted by Dudette
Speaking as an Ex Tart with a Cart, I can tell you not all economies are the same, unfortunately with my many encounters with different American airlines I really have to say they all give pretty much the same service, which is no where near the standard of British airlines.

However if you are nice to the Flight Attendants they will be nice back, listen to what they ask and you should be good to go, oh and if you smile at them, you may even get a smile back.

Oh yeah and safe journey mate, remember all the rules on liquids and stuff, they are pretty strict in the UK, good luck
Absolutely agree with your comments.....I really avoid flying long haul with Continental Airlines where possible (although it's the major airline from my nearest airport, Newark) due to their miserable, ageing, sour/bitter flight attendants whom due to their seniority get all the plum ie. international routes. (He he - an acquaintance is flying with them right now from Newark to Tokyo in economy....hope she doesn't get the same crew that I did...unfortunately in both directions!

Anway - here is a great anecdote about a "Madam Fright Attendant" from an American carrier travelling on a BA flight. The writer 'Pucci Galore' is a Cabin Service Director for BA....she writes some hilarous stuff on Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...time-tftg.html (I nearly spat my tea out over my laptop when I was reading this!)

(It was a link on a current thread with the title 'Classic Pax Ignorance'):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ignorance.html
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:44 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Absolutely agree with your comments.....I really avoid flying long haul with Continental Airlines where possible (although it's the major airline from my nearest airport, Newark) due to their miserable, ageing, sour/bitter flight attendants whom due to their seniority get all the plum ie. international routes. (He he - an acquaintance is flying with them right now from Newark to Tokyo in economy....hope she doesn't get the same crew that I did...unfortunately in both directions!

Anway - here is a great anecdote about a "Madam Fright Attendant" from an American carrier travelling on a BA flight. The writer 'Pucci Galore' is a Cabin Service Director for BA....she writes some hilarous stuff on Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...time-tftg.html (I nearly spat my tea out over my laptop when I was reading this!)

(It was a link on a current thread with the title 'Classic Pax Ignorance'):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ignorance.html
That Pucci chick is awesome, I tell you what I have found, is that Flight Attendants make the worst passengers, they can be incredibly rude, thankfully most of the time they're pretty good.

I had a few run in's with crew, but mainly flight crew from a rather well known airline back home in the UK, most of the time though, it was the older US Flight Crews that were obnoxious. Got to say I would have loved to have flown with Pucci, sounds like a pretty cool person to fly with
Ah how I miss my flying days
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: American airlines.

Originally Posted by Dudette
That Pucci chick is awesome, I tell you what I have found, is that Flight Attendants make the worst passengers, they can be incredibly rude, thankfully most of the time they're pretty good.

I had a few run in's with crew, but mainly flight crew from a rather well known airline back home in the UK, most of the time though, it was the older US Flight Crews that were obnoxious. Got to say I would have loved to have flown with Pucci, sounds like a pretty cool person to fly with
Ah how I miss my flying days
Well, just for you - here is another delicious anecdote from Pucci Galore...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rst-class.html
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:53 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, just for you - here is another delicious anecdote from Pucci Galore...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rst-class.html
Pucci is the bomb yo Seriously thought Pucci has the right idea, we used to do that alot, upgrade the passenger that was being tormented by the plat card holders, I have to say it was always fun to do that, just to see the look on the complainants face
Old Jun 5th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Anyone who is old enough to remember Dan Air will smile when I say somehow they remind me of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh this brings back memories I worked at Gatwick Airport for a few years and we were the handling agents for Dan Air, never knew so many planes going wrong. Good Luck to the OP have flown them and to be honest it was okay, I try to get BA or Lufthansa if I can but what ever is cheapest.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I would still rather fly on an AA 767 then a BA 747 between O'Hare and Heathrow.

However, BA's 747s are being phased out (according to friend of mine who is a BA 777 Captain).

I agree with the statement that if you are nice to the FAs, and indeed check-in agents, then they are generally quite pleasant in return.

I use AA exlcusively for my travels back to the Homeland, and, have never had a bad experience. I prefer to fly on 777s to Heathrow, as opposed to the 757s to Manchester, which would be easier for me. I once did Manchester - Montego Bay on a 757.......I'm never stepping foot onboard one again!

AA is due to upgrade their fleet, soon, according to a couple of Pilots I know, who fly for them.

Jim.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

nolimits is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to work for American Airlines quite a few years ago. Did my training in Dallas - loved it. Can't say what it is like now as have not flown with them for years, sadly can't afford their fares!!!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I flew them last year.

got me from A to B.

that's about it.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:39 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
I do indeed and she lives on Madison ave so i'll be roughing it
It depends where on Madison Avenue. Some parts are lovely and some parts not so nice. If your friend lives in Carnegie Hill it's lovely . If she's midtown, not so great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.