Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American accent

American accent

Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all
Default Re: American accent

Unfortunately yes.... everyone back home tells me I have a strong twang/accent now.

Im from lincolnshire so didnt really have a strong accent anyway, but after spending 4 years in the US and being around only southerners I must of sub consciously picked it up.

No offense to Americans, but I wish i could have kept my british accent better, its kinda like one of the things I wanted to hold onto.

In my mind I still sound british, but everyone else tells me i dont
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:38 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Ah - but is it said like marry, merry, or Mary?
Its spelled Mary, but pronounced Dave.
They're all silent.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Its spelled Mary, but pronounced Dave.
They're all silent.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig1987
3. Use an "assumed" name...
This. Especially for the dumb things like giving your name for a coffee order. A friend of mine is Iranian and has an easy, but foreign , name. He got sick of the blank stares, so now just tells them his name is Dwayne
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:50 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

people interpret my name as Ahhne when I say it, have also been called Annie or Anna instead of Anne I just answer to all three makes life easier
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Graham becomes Gram
but Birmigham becomes Birming-Ham
I'll never understand these things.
I remember having a bit of an argument about Graham. I had Graham crackers and Mums cousin is Graham, I say it UK way.
I didn't know what the heck I was being asked for, Gram crackers? I didn't know how much they weighted "do you want one?" It was like a bloody comedy I'm wondering what they are on about and they thought I was completely nuts.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I remember having a bit of an argument about Graham. I had Graham crackers and Mums cousin is Graham, I say it UK way.
I didn't know what the heck I was being asked for, Gram crackers? I didn't know how much they weighted "do you want one?" It was like a bloody comedy I'm wondering what they are on about and they thought I was completely nuts.
I wonder too. I've lived in America (and/or with an American) since the early 1970s and I never heard it pronounced "gram cracker" until recently. My wife, family, in-laws etc are from the north-east and I'm pretty sure they all say "graham" just like a British person would. Well.. not "grey-um" like I say it, but definitely two syllables..
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concluding that ya'll's ears are not sensitive enough to appreciate the finer details of the varied American accents.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm concluding that ya'll's ears are not sensitive enough to appreciate the finer details of the varied American accents.
LOL! in general, I think this is true. However, I was *on vacation* recently, though still in my own state, ( get me!) to a big ski resort. I could pick out loads of different American accents. I noticed too that all the badly behaved skiers and snowboarders (and sadly, there were too many of them) I saw getting pulled by the ski patrol did not seem to have a Colorado accent. Same was true of all the badly behaved kids I encountered in eateries and the like. Sadly, too many of them as well.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

My home city is Edinburgh, Scotland. I am used to hearing Americans singing the praises and admiring the loveliness of Edinburrow and how much of a nice time they are having here in Scatland.

We have huge numbers of visitors to this city, coming from all over the world, but to my knowledge it's only the Americans who pronounce my city's and country's names they way they do. The Canadians don't pronounce them the American way either which may be a wee bit surprising but maybe not - parts of Eastern Canada resemble Scotland in many ways anyway - and have Scottish sounding place names, eg Nova Scotia.

There is a possibility, but not very likely, that in the near future Scotland will be situated in a different time zone to that of England and Wales (one hour behind) if current proposals to keep UK time one hour ahead of current timings - ie two hours ahead of GMT. That would not be a good thing for Scotland, where dawn would not break until after 10am in mid winter here in Edinburgh and even later further north. I do not fancy that at all.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
My home city is Edinburgh, Scotland. I am used to hearing Americans singing the praises and admiring the loveliness of Edinburrow
I especially don't understand that one, it's not even spelt 'borough'.

The 'o' sound is pronounced 'a', but then the 'a' is pronounced 'o'. So it's 'Las Angeles' but "Los Vegas'.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig1987

Is this too pretentious, or acceptable? I've always hated the name Craig (and yet, I even used it as my username.:curse
A cousins husband does that...I never even realised till I think last year when someone was asking for M, which turned out to be his real name
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I wonder too. I've lived in America (and/or with an American) since the early 1970s and I never heard it pronounced "gram cracker" until recently. My wife, family, in-laws etc are from the north-east and I'm pretty sure they all say "graham" just like a British person would. Well.. not "grey-um" like I say it, but definitely two syllables..
Around here and with friends/family up in Maine, I've only heard it as "Gram".

It's a little weird how some names just feel mangled. Colin becoming Cooowlin is another odd one.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Ah - but is it said like marry, merry, or Mary?
I pronounce all three the same.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I accidentally tuned into an American TV program on one of the Freeview channels the other day - once called "The Real Housewives of Orange County" - a weirdly self seeking, self obsessed, false, fake, over glammed up lot with the same God awful accent which would be enough to make most Brits pledge never, ever to assume any kind of American accent.
Agree 100% that it's self seeking, self obsessed, false, fake and over glammed up.

But did you notice that one of the housewives is British? To be fair, she's probably my favorite, but ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.