Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

America the Beautiful

America the Beautiful

Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: America the Beautiful

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Are you pushing my leg, Lucy?

If not - how cheap is cheap?? How many figures?
Under $10K its at trinchera creek

Last edited by Ray; Aug 12th 2005 at 7:56 am.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:21 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I have a South London accent, they think I'm Australian....mate!
yeah I've often been asked if I'm Austrailian...I sound nothing like those Aussies! when I first landed here people thought I talked dead posh and being from Wales they thought I was from the same place as Lady Diana

actually what I like about the place is the fact that I see the sunshine 12 months out of the year....and we live in a detached house..on our income? ...we'd be stuck in a crummy terrace in the U.K, where we'd not even be able to swing a cat...now what the heck would the kids have left to do on a rainy day?

oh yeah and I think American's are very friendly, always ready to say hi and start a conversation with you , and again..here the accent helps

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Aug 12th 2005 at 8:23 am.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:24 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Under $10K its at trinchera creek

Thanks, Ray! I checked Trinchera Creek on the map, and it's quite a long way from the area we liked, which was around Alamosa/Mosca/Crestone.
But you've got me thinkin' !!! I googled around a bit and notice that there are some similar and smaller plots to be had in our area for under 10k - very surprising! I expect what it would cost to get water and leccy to the site might be extortionate, but it bears looking into. Prices can only go up in that part of the world I reckon.

Thanks again Ray.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:25 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by robousy
Well,

I come from somewhere in the UK that has been nominated a high 'chavtown'.

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.p...=article&sid=3

Thus, it has and will never take much for me to be insanely impressed and happy at living somewhere new!

That said, I'll mention a few things I love about living in Texas.

1) The freakin SUNSHINE!
2) Every apartment complex (flat) having a swimming pool!
3) Being able to use my outdoor pool in December!

4) The girls, the girls the girls. Texas has more than its fair share of blonde and beautiful babes.
5) The fact that girls find British accents sexy.
6) As has already been mentioned, the accent being associated with intelligence.
7) Sonic, Quizno's, Chilli's and the plethora of food chains.
8) Paying less than 3 pounds to see a film at the cinema.
9) Having a better standard of living earning a grad student salary (virtually poverty level - $12k) than working for the MOD and earning national average. 23k pounds.
10) Friendly waiters and waitresses.
11) Cheap everything...DVD player walmart $29.99.
12) The prospects to make some REAL money with an academic PhD.
13) The blatant American respect and admiration of everything British.
14) Lastly but most importantly - my fiance. aaaaaah.

Things I miss

Pickled onion monster munches.
indian food.
Salt and vinegar chipsticks.
cornish pasties.
Being able to insult a police officer and have him tell me 'well thats your opinion and you are entitled to it'. (seriously).

things I don't miss

larger'ed up lads who want to start a fight with you for no reason
rain
cold
not seeing the sun for months at a time
my credit card debt getting deeper by the nano-second
CYNICISM
PESSIMISM
Out country never winning any major sporting event

If you are in Houston, then I can recommend an Indian restaurant we tried for the first time last week. Yummy

But the service was crap...

PD1

Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:32 am
ImHere

<SNIP>
Being able to insult a police officer and have him tell me 'well thats your opinion and you are entitled to it'. (seriously).
Are you sure that wasnt me I seem to recall something now...

<SNIP>
Out country never winning any major sporting event
So we've got an underperforming footy team, but....

A huge haul of medals in the last olympics.
Rugby world cup. World champions.
Currently thrashing the Aussies in the 2nd Test match.

Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:39 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I came here in 1966 from London on a nine month contract. The thing I liked most was the absence of the British class system. The concept that someone should be a superior being because he can show that an acester was one of William the Conqueror's brigands is outside my understanding. I don't know if it is in effect there now or not.

I like the fact that doors will open here if you have the will and the ability. I like the fact that almost everyone here has heard of deoderant. There is much that I miss, but I know that I would miss the States more if I moved back.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:08 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ImHere]Are you sure that wasnt me I seem to recall something now...

That reminds me of a passage from one of my read again and again books-Cheaper By the Dozen. A neighbor complained because the lead character's son called him an SOB. The lead character's reply was Really? What are the facts of the matter?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
If you are in Houston, then I can recommend an Indian restaurant we tried for the first time last week. Yummy

But the service was crap...

PD1
I've tried a couple actually. One is called something like taste of India - its prob. not the same one you went to as the service has always been great.

I know another one too - can't remember the name off the top of my head but it serves 'British' Indian. Things like Chicken Biriani are different in brit restaurants than traditional Indian joints. I prefer the Brit version.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ImHere
Are you sure that wasnt me I seem to recall something now...

So we've got an underperforming footy team, but....

A huge haul of medals in the last olympics.
Rugby world cup. World champions.
Currently thrashing the Aussies in the 2nd Test match.
Hmmm - I always remember being disappointed at something or other. Usually tennis and footy. I'm not a big rugby follower so can't comment there.

Oh - I don't think I would have offended you - some of my mates have done in the past and its always amazed me what you can get away with.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:00 am
ImHere

Hmmm - I always remember being disappointed at something or other. Usually tennis and footy. I'm not a big rugby follower so can't comment there.

Oh - I don't think I would have offended you - some of my mates have done in the past and its always amazed me what you can get away with.
British police are among the most tolerant and friendly in the world. It never ceases to amaze tourists (particularly American ones) when we smile and say hello to them. And it never ceases to amaze onlookers when we just stand and smile at some drunken tit mouthing off at us. Of course they dont realise that we are in fact just very patient and willing to wait for the right moment.

Its all due to the fact British Police police by consent rather than superior firepower.

Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:04 am
Banned

SecretBeing is on a distinguished road

Ok peeps. Here it is. Your chance to say all the nice things about living in America. Since we seem to have a number of members who cant cope with the moans and groans. So come on lets be having you all.
THE USA IS RUBBISH THATS A FACT. GEORGE WANKER BUSH
Americans never care about anyelse in this world, They are mad about themselves. Thats all they care about. THE FLAMIN YANKS
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:09 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Alright mate, you've been publicly warned on two separate occasions........you are out of here! Go and troll somewhere else.

Originally Posted by SecretBeing
THE USA IS RUBBISH THATS A FACT. GEORGE WANKER BUSH
Americans never care about anyelse in this world, They are mad about themselves. Thats all they care about. THE FLAMIN YANKS
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:11 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

British police are among the most tolerant and friendly in the world. It never ceases to amaze tourists (particularly American ones) when we smile and say hello to them. And it never ceases to amaze onlookers when we just stand and smile at some drunken tit mouthing off at us. Of course they dont realise that we are in fact just very patient and willing to wait for the right moment.

Its all due to the fact British Police police by consent rather than superior firepower.
You're nicked Sonny......
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Yea, they are a nice bunch actually.
I was doing 70 in a 30 zone and the guy let me off! I wasnt being a tit - it was late and I'd zoned out a bit, noone around and I'm thinking of getting home and b4 i know it I'm pulled over.
He was really good about it and didnt throw the book.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:09 am
ImHere

Yea, they are a nice bunch actually.
I was doing 70 in a 30 zone and the guy let me off! I wasnt being a tit - it was late and I'd zoned out a bit, noone around and I'm thinking of getting home and b4 i know it I'm pulled over.
He was really good about it and didnt throw the book.

Its the "non-existent" A-test. The outcome of any (non-serious) interaction with a policeman will more often than not be determined in the first 30 seconds of the encounter, and most of that is down to the persons attitude towards the policeman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.