Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Have you been to the US? I wasn't clear...
It's got horrible bits and nice bits.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tom12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Have you been to the US? I wasn't clear...
It's got horrible bits and nice bits.
I have a very long time ago when I was a child.

I understand how naive I must come across but my desire has been long burning and heavily researched. I'd say I have about the same chance as being struck by lightning as moving there though...

Do you have any regrets about your move?

Did you have a similar desire to move there?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't want to come in the first place. Loved my life back home.
Came here with Adobe Systems 15 years ago and just sort of settled in, got married etc, started a business. I have traveled a lot and enjoyed the characteristics of many US States but you don't need to live here to do that.
Just being here doesn't feel much different from being back home once you're used to it. Life is not that much different day to day. But I miss easy access to Europe.

I'd move back tomorrow if I was able but a few years yet.

(I'm not so jaded though. It's still cool to be driving down the Los Angeles coast, amongst the palm trees as the sun sets. And of course if I felt like it I could jump in the car and cruise around Hollywood on a Friday night, (instead of watching Walking Dead or Doctor Who on the telly)....but hey, some Americans are envious of those who can hang out in London..)

Looking at it from a different angle.
In what way do you feel your life here would be better, different, worse?

Additionally. Few here would be hesitant in saying go for it if you had a solid job offer with very good salary prospects. But as alluded to, it's a very tough place to be without stable financial resources.

And that's not talking about luxury, it's a very harsh place to be poor and depend on charity just to survive in many cases.

It's also a very tough job market unless you are highly qualified/experienced.
Many of us came here via the professional route which, with some exceptions, tends to come with good salaries.
Others through marriage..

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 26th 2014 at 10:54 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tom12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't want to come in the first place. Loved my life back home.
Came here with Adobe Systems 15 years ago and just sort of settled in, got married etc, started a business. I have traveled a lot and enjoyed the characteristics of many US States but you don't need to live here to do that.
Just being here doesn't feel much different from being back home once you're used to it. Life is not that much different day to day. But I miss easy access to Europe.

I'd move back tomorrow if I was able but a few years yet.

(I'm not so jaded though. It's still cool to be driving down the Los Angeles coast, amongst the palm trees as the sun sets. And of course if I felt like it I could jump in the car and cruise around Hollywood on a Friday night, (instead of watching Walking Dead or Doctor Who on the telly)....but hey, some Americans are envious of those who can hang out in London..)

Looking at it from a different angle.
In what way do you feel your life here would be better, different, worse?

Additionally. Few here would be hesitant in saying go for it if you had a solid job offer with very good salary prospects. But as alluded to, it's a very tough place to be without stable financial resources.

And that's not talking about luxury, it's a very harsh place to be poor and depend on charity just to survive in many cases.

It's also a very tough job market unless you are highly qualified/experienced.
Many of us came here via the professional route which, with some exceptions, tends to come with good salaries.
Others through marriage..
I'm sure you're right about some Americans being jealous of those in London but that seems very odd to me. They have the option of being able to fly/drive to any of the major north eastern cities, each so distinct with their own unique skyline and food culture amongst other things. If they want year round sunshine and beaches there Florida or Southern California. I know that the UK is a different culture and that plays a big part but it can't compare in my book, maybe its my British pessimism speaking though.

I love the wide open space, vastness and variation that the country offers. Also the attitude of Americans I have met is so often a polar opposite to attitude of Brits. I love the infectious enthusiasm and their 'directness'. It seems there is a set route of many graduates my age which is find a job in London,become a commuter who is unable to smile/make eye contact and complain at every possible opportunity. I live in London currently I known for a long time it's not the city for me. Also, Seasonal Affective Disorder (it is so a real condition!)
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

MrsDarcy is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't have much choice about moving here. Got transfered with husband's job.

There will always be some regrets. You miss out on a lot being far from the ones you love and who love you but over all it's been and still is an experience that I'm glad I've had despite the many highs and lows.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'Unable to smile/make eye contact'. I think that's just on public transport, to avoid nutters. I found London a sociable place to live, and I like it back in Birmingham. People are nice, and chatty. Simply don't understand that criticism of Brits.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"If they want year round sunshine and beaches there Florida or Southern California"

I live an hour or so from Malibu in Southern California.
And when I first moved to SoCal it rained constantly for about three or four weeks.
Also June gloom...some times no beach sun for a month...
Also rising skin cancer..
Attached Thumbnails Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)-snow.jpg  

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 26th 2014 at 11:36 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"They have the option of being able to fly/drive to any of the major north eastern cities"

Very few do...no vacation time or can't afford it...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

"If they want year round sunshine and beaches there Florida or Southern California"

Yeah but you have the option of being able to fly/drive to any of the major north eastern cities.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"They have the option of being able to fly/drive to any of the major north eastern cities"

Very few do...no vacation time or can't afford it...
Ha ha snap.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah but you have the option of being able to fly/drive to any of the major north eastern cities.
Or the train...no, wait...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And when I first moved to SoCal it rained constantly for about three or four weeks.
Also June gloom...some times no beach sun for a month...
Also rising skin cancer..
that much rain is certainly not the norm for So. California though. Yes June gloom is the pits, but So. California is generally best warmth wise July to end of September. June isn't the ideal time to visit.

*Experience living in San Diego for 23 1/2 years.*

Not sure why anyone would want to go to Florida though, been there twice and I hope to never have to step foot in that place again, along with Texas.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeah but you know what I mean...it's not a paradise

Doesn't rain enough for that...

(Or land of milk and honey)
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but you know what I mean...it's not a paradise

Doesn't rain enough for that...

(Or land of milk and honey)
Yes, I agree....

I personally would never move from a universal or semi-universal system for healthcare to the US where you can find yourself up the creek. When young you don't think of this, but once your older and start to need medical care, well I thank my lucky stars I ended up in Canada as I'd be so screwed if I was in California still.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry to hear...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.