Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Downton Abbey...
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambition...to call the USA home (split from Tom12's thread in the US Imm. Forum)

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Movies give people the impression it's glamorous in the US - for some reason. I suppose even things like 8 Mile have an American Dream element.
I think there is a genuine cultural difference there that the movies reflect.

Americans do (generally) have a tendency to concentrate on the positives in a situation and suppress the negatives, whereas Brits (generally) tend to dwell on the downsides and downplay the positive. Its easy to see how that comes across as making the US seem more glamorous.

Example this week I was chatting with an American colleague before a conference call and he was telling me how much weight he had lost since taking up cycling. The day before chatting round the coffee machine I had a British colleague complaining about how stiff he was feeling after doing a sponsored bike ride at the weekend.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
I think there is a genuine cultural difference there that the movies reflect.

Americans do (generally) have a tendency to concentrate on the positives in a situation and suppress the negatives, whereas Brits (generally) tend to dwell on the downsides and downplay the positive. Its easy to see how that comes across as making the US seem more glamorous.

Example this week I was chatting with an American colleague before a conference call and he was telling me how much weight he had lost since taking up cycling. The day before chatting round the coffee machine I had a British colleague complaining about how stiff he was feeling after doing a sponsored bike ride at the weekend.
Certainly an element of truth in that.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Movies give people the impression it's glamorous in the US - for some reason. I suppose even things like 8 Mile have an American Dream element.
Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?
Well instead you could always lose yourself in the music I suppose...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what movies you watch I guess. Growing up I think the only movies I saw that made the States look really appealing were 'Groundhog Day' and 'It's a Wonderful Life' (nice small town America). Most of the rest seemed to be set in LA and New York which don't appeal to me at all. Precious few were set in New England - there was 'Good Will Hunting' (which was mostly filmed in Toronto), 'The Shawshank Redemption' (supposed to be Maine, but shot in Ohio), and The Perfect Storm. Since then of course there's been a deluge because of tax credits; 'The Departed', 'The Town', 'Black Mass', 'Sea of Trees' etc etc..

There are of course movies that show life in the US in a good light but for every one of those there's one that takes a more dystopian view - recent example was 'The Fighter' which did a good job showing the gritty neighborhoods of Lowell and the city's issues with crack. Similarly with British movies - for every Full Monty or Billy Elliot there's a movie like 'The Holiday' which gives a rosy depiction of life in the UK.

A lot worse I think are TV shows - for example the characters in Friends, How I met your mother and Sex in the City all live in massive Manhattan apartments which should be completely unaffordable given the jobs they do.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so what we appear to have here is the usual collection of old cynics (and I include myself in that category), who have all been there, done that and know that the grass everywhere is much the same shade of green, apparently all failing to remember what it was like to be young, naive and enthusiastic and also forgetting that most of the wisdom that they have acquired over the years is stuff that they had to learn for themselves because they didn't listen to other people telling them what they could or couldn't do either ...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well we either provide the benefit of our experience or we don't...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Old Sep 26th 2014, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
OK, so what we appear to have here is the usual collection of old cynics (and I include myself in that category), who have all been there, done that and know that the grass everywhere is much the same shade of green, apparently all failing to remember what it was like to be young, naive and enthusiastic and also forgetting that most of the wisdom that they have acquired over the years is stuff that they had to learn for themselves because they didn't listen to other people telling them what they could or couldn't do either ...
Aw shaddup.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Well we either provide the benefit of our experience or we don't...
Oh, absolutely!

After all, the cycle of life has to repeat itself.

Just so long as you don't expect the OP (or anyone else) to pay any attention to you ...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, absolutely!

After all, the cycle of life has to repeat itself.

Just so long as you don't expect the OP (or anyone else) to pay any attention to you ...
That's part of the fun...seeing the cycle..
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

But on that note, had you stayed in your home country you may well have been kicking yourself for not going for it when you were younger.
I'm not cynical about people's hankerings for the US, just curious about the reasonings behind those hankerings. Just what appeals to people about the US and where does the idea come from that says the US will fulfil the criteria for those expectations?
For me it was always the draw the of mountainous wilderness areas which attracted me to emigration, I suppose there are the Rockies in the US but South Island, Western Canada, the Andes and Himalayas were always more appealing (and, to some extent, still are!)
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've enjoyed the desert areas, Nevada, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc..so different from Scotland.
But now, been there done it...

and also as alluded to markonline a few times. the Big Sur is nice but once you've driven it 20 or so times...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Tom12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unique_boy
I always had the dream myself, looking back I am not so sure why. I actually made a bet with two friends when I was 12 for £10 that I would be living in the US by the time I was 30.

On the face of it is a great country and some of the lifestyles the US can offer are second to none. However drill down on a benefits levels and many of those are no where near as comparable to the UK. I feel I can't comment too much as I have been very lucky with the benefits offered by my employer.

Would you not consider returning to Australia?
What made you abandon your dream?

I definitely would consider returning to Australia for work as I have completed the required regional work for a second year. But being out there did not reduce my appetite for the USA at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.