Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime - Streaming Video

Amazon Prime - Streaming Video

Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold
Default Amazon Prime - Streaming Video

Can anyone give insight into what content is available to stream with Amazon Prime ?

Specifically how it compares with Netflix streaming (now that the Starz content is about to be lost) ?

Are there new movie releases available ? Or is it necessary to pay to stream newer content ?

I currently pay to stream new movies on an adhoc basis from Amazon, but its unclear if such movies would be covered by Amazon Prime.

Underlying question is whether to dump Netflix and switch to AP...
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Prime - Streaming Video

All the shit you can get is what you can get on Prime, but the advantage to having prime is having a bunch of that content free, but not all, or at a discount price.

You also get free ebooks and free 2 day shipping on stuff in general.

You can share your Prime account with up to 4 other people, but they only get the free shipping benefit and any Prime prices on products. Bit disappointed not to get the free books and movie service.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Get Prime for the shipping, not the movies. Mostly old and some weird stuff.

I love Prime for shipping though. Put a lot of items on "subscription" so they just arrived in time when I needed them, like shaving cream, shampoo, even some food items. Saved me quite a bit of driving just to have things brought to my house. Got a lot of free boxes too :-)
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Get Prime for the shipping, not the movies.
Agreed - I got Prime because I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and the Prime subscription paid for itself within a few weeks.

I was already a user of Amazon's streaming video so the fact that some of that content is now free with my Prime membership is just a bonus.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was comparing Netflix to others a while ago, I tried out Amazon Prime for the free month they offer. Ordered some stuff to get the free shipping, but everything I wanted to watch on streaming video still had a cost attached to it.

So after 3.5 weeks, I dropped Amazon Prime and just kept Netflix streaming. If there's a movie I'm really dying to see and it's on Amazon, I'll pay the $4.00 or whatever to watch it.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I have Prime and Netflix and the latter wins for streaming. I got a year of free Prime using the student program (wife works in a college) and when it expired, I was able to renew for half price ($39). The free program did not include the streaming or the free ebooks, but they are a bonus on top of the shipping.

I order a LOT from Amazon now, so the free 2-day shipping is well worth it to me. Just last week we ordered a new bed with odd-sized sheets (split King) and, for just an extra $3.99, got them delivered the next day.

For $79 a year, it's well worth the subscription and at $39, it's a no-brainer, but I wouldn't consider it to replace Netflix, just enhance it.