Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Amazon Kindle

Amazon Kindle

Old May 24th 2011, 3:40 am
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice
Default Amazon Kindle

Has anyone had an experience of moving back home with an Amazon Kindle E-Reader? I'm thinking of getting one prior to moving back home but am not sure if it will still be useable once I get home.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Originally Posted by Welshie82
Has anyone had an experience of moving back home with an Amazon Kindle E-Reader? I'm thinking of getting one prior to moving back home but am not sure if it will still be useable once I get home.
I use mine both in Australia and the UK with no problems at all. You should be able to contact Amazon and get it transferred from .com to .co.uk if you can't actually do it online - mine is .co.uk registered and the account actually contains the option to change countries
Old May 24th 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I use mine both in Australia and the UK with no problems at all. You should be able to contact Amazon and get it transferred from .com to .co.uk if you can't actually do it online - mine is .co.uk registered and the account actually contains the option to change countries
Mine is a USA model Kindle, my Amazon account is from the UK, and I use it in the Philippines. In fact I use it everywhere.

You can un-register and re-register it to other accounts whenever you want to. Mine was registered to my company, as they bought it, so as soon as I got near a wifi I put it into my own name, the email address that is my Amazon account. On the home page open Settings, then click on de-register.

There are plenty of on-line Mobi books to download for free, without going through Amazon anyway, which is where most of mine come from.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:03 pm
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul B
Mine is a USA model Kindle, my Amazon account is from the UK, and I use it in the Philippines. In fact I use it everywhere.

You can un-register and re-register it to other accounts whenever you want to. Mine was registered to my company, as they bought it, so as soon as I got near a wifi I put it into my own name, the email address that is my Amazon account. On the home page open Settings, then click on de-register.

There are plenty of on-line Mobi books to download for free, without going through Amazon anyway, which is where most of mine come from.
Ok so I could buy a kindle here in Canada and set it up with a canadian amazon account and then when I get to the UK just set up a UK Amazon account. But what about the books I already purchased using my Canadian Account, would those still be accessible?

I had heard that the kindle wouldn't work because it wouldn't be set up for a UK 3G network.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:32 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so I could buy a kindle here in Canada and set it up with a canadian amazon account and then when I get to the UK just set up a UK Amazon account. But what about the books I already purchased using my Canadian Account, would those still be accessible?

I had heard that the kindle wouldn't work because it wouldn't be set up for a UK 3G network.
Yes the books stay accessible Haven't seen anyone elsse saying the network is a problem. Amazon has a pretty good forum itself on the kindle pages and I've not seen it mentioned as an issue on there. People seem to travel across the Atlantic with them and they work on both sides so I wouldn't have thought it matters

Edit - have a look here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200504740

Last edited by Pollyana; May 24th 2011 at 5:36 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:50 pm
Newish Member

Yes the books stay accessible Haven't seen anyone elsse saying the network is a problem. Amazon has a pretty good forum itself on the kindle pages and I've not seen it mentioned as an issue on there. People seem to travel across the Atlantic with them and they work on both sides so I wouldn't have thought it matters

Edit - have a look here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200504740
Thank you Pollyana, I'd been searching for a page like that but to no avail
Old May 24th 2011, 6:23 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread ... I am going back to the UK in August (first time in five years) and was going to get my mother a Kindle for her birthday. I didn't think to look and see if it was cheaper here but now I will. It's nice to know that I could get it here, set it all up for her and then just take it with me.

Thanks for starting the thread! J :-)
Old May 24th 2011, 7:05 pm
Home and Happy

Thank you Pollyana, I'd been searching for a page like that but to no avail
No probs, I'm still finding out half of what mine can do, and I hadn't read that page before either!
Old May 24th 2011, 7:27 pm
Newish Member

Originally Posted by Jingle
Interesting thread ... I am going back to the UK in August (first time in five years) and was going to get my mother a Kindle for her birthday. I didn't think to look and see if it was cheaper here but now I will. It's nice to know that I could get it here, set it all up for her and then just take it with me.

Thanks for starting the thread! J :-)
You're very welcome
Old May 26th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

You're very welcome
Mine isn't a 3G (internet capable) model, I just use the Wifi for downloading books from Amazon after I purchase over my PC. Or the plug in USB connection for dragging and dropping on my PC. There are millions of Mobi (Kindle format ) books available free on the internet, and I've only paid for about three of mine.

Once you have them on your Kindle they are yours, and will stay with you wherever you go.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:30 pm
Newish Member

Originally Posted by Paul B
Mine isn't a 3G (internet capable) model, I just use the Wifi for downloading books from Amazon after I purchase over my PC. Or the plug in USB connection for dragging and dropping on my PC. There are millions of Mobi (Kindle format ) books available free on the internet, and I've only paid for about three of mine.

Once you have them on your Kindle they are yours, and will stay with you wherever you go.
I was looking the other day and it claims that the 3G is worldwide, not sure how well that works in practical application though.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:48 pm
Home and Happy

I was looking the other day and it claims that the 3G is worldwide, not sure how well that works in practical application though.
Works fine in Singapore and Australia If I buy something online with Amazon UK its on my kindle within a minute
Old May 26th 2011, 10:29 pm
Newish Member

Works fine in Singapore and Australia If I buy something online with Amazon UK its on my kindle within a minute
Sweet. I'm going to definitely buy one when I have some cash. If it doesn't work you owe me a Pint
Old May 26th 2011, 10:39 pm
Home and Happy

Sweet. I'm going to definitely buy one when I have some cash. If it doesn't work you owe me a Pint
OK, you're on. I really don't think there should be a problem with it working internationally. A lot of Aus forum posters have them and I think we are about half and half between those who bought from amazon.co.uk and the US site - there being no Amazon in Australia. None of us have any issues with downloading, and apparently the 3G whispernet thing is an international agreement between Amazon and AT&T (so I read somewhere yesterday).

I stilll buy some books, cos I am a book addict, but it really is brilliant, especially for the free/cheap classics - if you're like me, all those things you promised yourself you would read "öne day"!!
Old May 26th 2011, 10:40 pm
Newish Member

OK, you're on. I really don't think there should be a problem with it working internationally. A lot of Aus forum posters have them and I think we are about half and half between those who bought from amazon.co.uk and the US site - there being no Amazon in Australia. None of us have any issues with downloading, and apparently the 3G whispernet thing is an international agreement between Amazon and AT&T (so I read somewhere yesterday).

I stilll buy some books, cos I am a book addict, but it really is brilliant, especially for the free/cheap classics - if you're like me, all those things you promised yourself you would read "öne day"!!
YES that's part of the reason I want one, to catch up on the classics. I've worked in bookstores for years so for me to move to Digital is going to be a huge change. There's just something satisfying about seeing a wall of books in my living room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.