Amazed

Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazed

Went into Wholesale Sports in Portland to buy some BBQ stuff and look at the guns. I always look at the guns and wonder why anyone would want the ones that seem to big to even hold. Anyway having been recommended a certain firearm for my needs by an expect friend in Texas I decided to inquire if they had one. About 30 minutes later I was walking out the store carrying said firearm, two boxes of ammunition, use them for practice only the guy said they wouldn't stop anyone attacking you, and assorted BBQ requisites.

Why am I amazed apart from signing me up for the theory part of the Clackamas Country concealed weapon permit course there was no mention of do I know how to use a firearm, I don't. The reason they signed me up for the course at the store because this Thursday it is a special at $10 not the usual $40. Do I consider myself safe with a firearm, no I don't but they sold me one anyway. Now fortunately I have the sense to take myself down to Clackamas Country Sheriff's range and sign up for the basic firearms course as a starting point. But to my obviously simplistic way of thinking shouldn't the courses come before being allowed to buy the thing in the first place.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazed

I don't mind too much, on the premise that if about 50% of the idiots blow themSELVES away because they don't know what they're doing, the rest of us are that much better off.
But you're not saying you can get a CCP without a test in Clackamas are you? The only thing I remember about Multnomah is that it was more political than I ever imagined it would be. IE, you really only had to get to be buds with one of the deputies.

Anyway, now that I know you have the soft ammo, I won't mind stepping in front of you.

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 29th 2010 at 1:04 am. Reason: typo!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Went into Wholesale Sports in Portland to buy some BBQ stuff and look at the guns. I always look at the guns and wonder why anyone would want the ones that seem to big to even hold. Anyway having been recommended a certain firearm for my needs by an expect friend in Texas I decided to inquire if they had one. About 30 minutes later I was walking out the store carrying said firearm, two boxes of ammunition, use them for practice only the guy said they wouldn't stop anyone attacking you, and assorted BBQ requisites.
Are you going to tell us what you bought?

Speer Gold Dot is good self-defense ammo.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:51 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Anyway, now that I know you have the soft ammo, I won't mind stepping in front of you.
I think you'll find he got the hard ammo (AKA FMJ or ball). The soft ammo's the more deadly stuff.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

But you're not saying you can get a CCP without a test in Clackamas are you? The only thing I remember about Multnomah is that it was more political than I ever imagined it would be. IE, you really only had to get to be buds with one of the deputies.

To get a CCP you have to do a theory course about the Oregon law and when you can use a firearm in self defense, also a basic firearms course on a range. The latter I'll do on the Sheriff's Public Safety Range, but as to being buddies with the deputies it is amazing how many doors get opened to retired Scotland Yard Detectives the ony thing it has never get me is a worthwhile job offer.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Are you going to tell us what you bought?

Nothing fancy a Ruger LCP, fits in a pocket and good enough if someone gets close enough to be a problem.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think you'll find he got the hard ammo (AKA FMJ or ball). The soft ammo's the more deadly stuff.
Now you have Mo worried again but she is safe for a while there is no hollow point .380 to be had, you virtually have to be in the store when it is delivered as it gets sold out very quickly.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Now you have Mo worried again but she is safe for a while there is no hollow point .380 to be had, you virtually have to be in the store when it is delivered as it gets sold out very quickly.
You can set up email alerts from ammo vendors such as Wideners and Midway. Other sources are LTD Ammo, Ammunition2Go, Express Police Supply, Palmetto State Armory, AIM Surplus, and Discountammo.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:50 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, Cheaper Than Dirt has the DRT hollowpoints in .380 in stock right now.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM3271-5.html
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing fancy a Ruger LCP, fits in a pocket and good enough if someone gets close enough to be a problem.
Blah blah macho posturing blah blah blah small penis blah blah.
This is 2010, not 1860. Times have changed.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I told Chartie I thought you had got Peeps brand ammo.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Blah blah macho posturing blah blah blah small penis blah blah.
quite true but if it wasn't the Ruger wouldn't fit in my shorts pocket now would it.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:37 pm

I told Chartie I thought you had got Peeps brand ammo.

no he was right when he said FMJ
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Why am I amazed apart from signing me up for the theory part of the Clackamas Country concealed weapon permit course there was no mention of do I know how to use a firearm, I don't. The reason they signed me up for the course at the store because this Thursday it is a special at $10 not the usual $40. Do I consider myself safe with a firearm, no I don't but they sold me one anyway. Now fortunately I have the sense to take myself down to Clackamas Country Sheriff's range and sign up for the basic firearms course as a starting point. But to my obviously simplistic way of thinking shouldn't the courses come before being allowed to buy the thing in the first place.
You could say the same thing about chainsaws and other potentially dangerous tools.....no-one in the hardware stores asks if you know how to use them first - same thing with guns. It's just not the stores responsibility to ensure the customers know what they are doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.