Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am I the only Brit Struggling?!

Am I the only Brit Struggling?!

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I the only Brit Struggling?!

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Ok, just going to play devil's advocate here for a second:

Perhaps you're looking at these posts the wrong way. You asked, "Just wondered how you other Brits are getting on?!" Some of the "snide remarks" you say are "unproductive" are actually a very realistic response to your question. Some expats are unemployed. Some are having a difficult time putting food on the table. Some consider $50 leftover at the end of the month a luxury. That's how THEY'RE getting on (or not, as the case may be) -- like it or not, they ARE answering your question.

And frankly, if that is what they're experiencing right now, can you really blame them for the bitter tone? I mean, I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to be experiencing any of those things right now, and if I was then I wouldn't be happy about it at all.

Don't get me wrong -- it's inexcusable for anyone to attack you (or anyone else) personally. But the fact that a response is infused with frustration, annoyance and/or bitterness doesn't make that response any less "productive" than responses with a more positive vibe. Hope that makes sense.

Ultimately, one of the really good things about this forum is that it allows us to come together to share and reflect on our experiences, to extend a sympathetic ear and to a certain degree provide a bit of support. So considering the sensitive and emotional topic of this thread, I think it would behoove all of us to take a deep breath and realize that no one is trying to put anyone down or make themselves superior to anyone else. If you ask an honest question, you need to be willing to give -- and receive -- an honest answer. If you can be polite to others in the process, that's even better.

~ Jenney
Note taken... you are right $50 is a luxury to some.

Re: remarks, fair point if people are bitter about the situation. I think most people would find the "quit whining" not very helpful... but hey it's a forum. I appreciate helpful answers more than harsh one-word answers!

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajcmals

Re: remarks, fair point if people are bitter about the situation. I think most people would find the "quit whining" not very helpful... but hey it's a forum. I appreciate helpful answers more than harsh one-word answers!

Exactly. It's all flipping relative. Otherwise nobody would ever be able to have a moan as there is always somebody else somewhere worse off etc. etc.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) You seem like an asshole!

b) If you don't have anything useful to say then don't say it.

c) If you read my post I was wanting to find out how other Brits are getting on.
a) You're probably right. But it doesn't automatically make me wrong.

b) Oh I'm sorry, you only wanted useful responses. Perhaps you should have specified that.

c) Well I answered that in my post.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 23rd 2009 at 1:42 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Exactly. It's all flipping relative. Otherwise nobody would ever be able to have a moan as there is always somebody else somewhere worse off etc. etc.
I love a good moan ajc sounds like he's trying hard and just feeling a bit done in at Christmastime.

Merry Christmas ajcmals
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:12 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) You're probably right. But it doesn't automatically make me wrong.

b) Oh I'm sorry, you only wanted useful responses. Perhaps you should have specified that.

c) Well I answered that in my post.
Lets try and remember this is the season of goodwill and give the guy a break. We all need to vent and have a little moan now and again. It's natural when you are feeling homesick to feel down about other things in your life too. Naturally at times like that you gravitate towards others who you think may understand what you are going through ..... hence the reason BE was created.

To ajcmals, it's early days yet, give it time and gradually things will start clicking into place and get easier.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:34 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join you in a whine, although I am incredibly grateful for all the things I do have..it doesnt stop me being pissed off that for the first time in m life I am working in a job that pays no vacation, holiday or benefits whatsoever.

My remedy is to go and see 'The Road' this week at the movies. I have read the book so I know that its utter despair and desolation will put my woes into perspective.
I have also been listening to Chris Evans on radio 2 and appreciating how wonderful the BBC is. Happy Christmas, it will never be the same but you never know, it may actually be better!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:40 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

When I first came to the states I got one week off after the 1st year, now I work for a company that as I have been there over 5 years, actually get 5 weeks off a year, my wife only get 3 weeks a year.

Yes it was a struggle at first with everything,thankfully I was able to pay everything off when I left the UK, but money was very tight.

For the next month write down every cent you spend, it's amazing how many people waste money and don't even realize it.

I have helped more than 1/2 a dozen people at work, make better use of their money.

One very good thing that my father taught me, and it works, becoming self aware is the first step.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:23 am
Here, there, everywhere..

nicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nicenicola9 is just really nice

Like so many others have said, having a job is something to be very grateful for at the moment. Presently, I have no job, which means no insurance which in itself worries me in this country! Also I am still trying to build up my credit which is near impossible when you don't have a job, and as I didn't come here due to marrying a USC I can't even piggyback on my other halves credit so its doubly difficult.

Finally I'm spending Christmas (and the next 5 months) thousand of miles away from my boyfriend of 7 years as we cannot afford for him to take time off from his job in the UK as he is getting made redundant in the New Year so needs every penny!

So I think although things suck right now, things to be grateful for still outway the crap and I'm trying to remain positive by thinking at least I get to spend Christmas with some family around me and at the end of the day if you can spend time with the people you love you can't really put a price on that!!

Whinge over! Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I think the lack of safety net and the lousy hoilday allotments make things seem really awful. It's hard to look at your own circumstances and realize you are only a couple of paychecks from disaster and living in your car.
We are doing OK compared to some, badly compared to others. I have found the money not going as far as it used to, the savings dwindling. So come the new year I go on the hunt for a job, part time or whatever I find, so we can replenish the savings at least and keep up.
Sorry you are having a hard time, it's easy to find someone having a worse time that you are, and yet it doesn't make you feel better about your own life. (Well it doesn't for me anyway)
Things started getting on top of me about money etc this summer (after I spent a bloody fortune taking the kids to see Gran in UK) That I started to have anxiety problems, but hopefully all sorted for now and I've calmed down a bit.
A least I have Christmas paid off, just some food to buy for Friday.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

In another 20 years you'll think back to this first year here and be amazed how you managed to get by, how you coped with a whole new lifestyle, how hard it was with missing home and all that was familiar to you. You'll get there eventually, just give it time
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:02 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I love a good moan ajc sounds like he's trying hard and just feeling a bit done in at Christmastime.

Merry Christmas ajcmals
I'm with Sally here. Everyone needs to vent, and people should be able to do it here (though I might suggest The Trailer Park in future )

I've been very lucky since moving here, and only had a couple of months without a job. Still, I got off my bum, and got out and about, doing stuff at the local library, like putting out thousands and thousand of tax forms in the lobby.

Really, though, I've had it easy, but I'm not going to tell ajcmals not to gripe. Everyone has a right to bitch from time to time: First Amendment, people!

And Happy Zmas, everyone!!!

(The "Z" is for Zombie).
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:27 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, season of good will, have a vent, we're all in it together. Let's try to "be nice" as the absent and much lamented Mr F used to say.

That said, I'm going to come to BG36's defence (a bit). His initial offering was a little harsh, in a djb1000 stylee, but I can understand his frustration.

There's a group of us on here, who have little in common except that we all started the immigration process when the economy was all rosy and reached the put up or shut up point when it was in the shitter. Those of us who moved gave up financial security for a gamble against the odds. As of today, we haven't all won.

We made our choices and have to live with them. But I hope people will understand if we sometimes get a bit moody.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:05 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
...That said, I'm going to come to BG36's defence (a bit). His initial offering was a little harsh, in a djb1000 stylee, but I can understand his frustration...
Wow, that dbj1000 sounds like a right tosser!

For the record, I haven't ever gone on the attack regarding people's job, lack or job or financial situation.

...but everything else is fair game.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:08 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

We made our choices and have to live with them. But I hope people will understand if we sometimes get a bit moody.
You're entitled to. I'm lucky I haven't found a job in 3 years but I do have an income every month. Just not being able to find a reasonable job is bad enough but to be in the position yourself and BG36 are in is a lot worse so I for one understand if sometimes your sympathy mode doesn't work.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Wow, that dbj1000 sounds like a right tosser!

For the record, I haven't ever gone on the attack regarding people's job, lack or job or financial situation.

...but everything else is fair game.
and no-one ever gets his name right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.