Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am I delusional?

Am I delusional?

Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

StrawberryFields is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I delusional?

I am wanting to move to the states, but everywhere I read it says there's little chance and I'm delusional.

I have a 4 year bachelor of science degree, with honours, in optometry and work as an Optometrist in Scotland and have done for the last 7 years. I am looking into becoming qualified in America and I have been given sponsorship to sit the exams. This is going to cost a fair amount and I am wondering even with the US qualification will I be able to find a job? I have read that US employers are unwilling to go to the trouble and expense for a foreign employee, it's rather disheartening. How did you guys do it? Any help/info is much appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I delusional?

Getting a visa is the biggest challenge, and where your plan will probably fail. I am not sure if your profession is covered by the visa class that allows foreign doctors to get visas, hopefully someone will be along shortly to comment, or you can research it.

Most of us here either were transferred by our employer, or are married to a US citizen. A few obtained an H1-A visa. .... If you are single and determined to immigrate to the US, internet dating is a good option. No, I am not joking, because it explains how a fair number of us came to be here.

More complete and structured advice on US visas can be found in the two Pulaski documents in the USA section if the Wikis tab above.

PS. One of our regulars will no doubt be along soon to tell you that, yes, you are delusional for even wanting to live in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 14th 2014 at 8:44 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is there is enough optometrists coming out of the medical schools, or already in practice in the US to meet demand. Therefore I don't see why a company would want to pay the cost of getting a visa for an overseas applicant.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
My guess is there is enough optometrists coming out of the medical schools, or already in practice in the US to meet demand. Therefore I don't see why a company would want to pay the cost of getting a visa for an overseas applicant.
Agreed, and it is not legal for the applicant to pay the cost either.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It seems unlikely for an eye doctor (the US technical term).
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It seems unlikely for an eye doctor (the US technical term).
Hi Sally!

You're very restrained today.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
PS. One of our regulars will no doubt be along soon to tell you that, yes, you are delusional for even wanting to live in the US.
. Any minute.......
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Can I say it? Can I say it?

Why on earth do you want to move to the States?
Do you think the grass is greener here somehow? It's really just a different shade.

(I know, it's alright me saying that, I'm already here but it's a been there, done it, tired of it, can't wait to get back home kinda thing, even though I do have the successful California coastal lifestyle. I'd rather be on a sodden hike in the Trossachs, stopping at a cosy pub afterwards.)

Anyway, find a USC girlfriend and get married. One of the easiest routes.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:30 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

this Yank thought that the term for an "eye doctor" was ophthalmologist. I go to an optometrist when I want glasses.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot

Anyway, find a USC girlfriend and get married. One of the easiest routes.
Do you think a guy would call himself StrawberryFields? Just wondering . .
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You have a point...but I do live in California.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi Sally! You're very restrained today.
Originally Posted by markonline1
. Any minute.......
Originally Posted by hotscot
Can I say it? Can I say it?
Why on earth do you want to move to the States?
Do you think the grass is greener here somehow? It's really just a different shade.
Guys: The only things truly predictable are death, taxes and the fact that a smart woman will ignore your bait. And so she has!

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Do you think a guy would call himself StrawberryFields? Just wondering . .
OTOH : you never know

Sorry for diversion StrawberryFields....just to clarify use of term "eye doctor" in the States....it seems to be used when referring to both ophthalmologists and optometrists - tho, as you know, only the former is an MD
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/eye-...hthalmologists

Originally Posted by Speedwell
this Yank thought that the term for an "eye doctor" was ophthalmologist. I go to an optometrist when I want glasses.
My optometrist's staff always refer to him as "Dr." ....and technicallly he is because:
.....see definitions in above link.

In any case....good luck in your quest SF
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
I am wanting to move to the states, but everywhere I read it says there's little chance and I'm delusional.

I have a 4 year bachelor of science degree, with honours, in optometry and work as an Optometrist in Scotland and have done for the last 7 years. I am looking into becoming qualified in America and I have been given sponsorship to sit the exams. This is going to cost a fair amount and I am wondering even with the US qualification will I be able to find a job? I have read that US employers are unwilling to go to the trouble and expense for a foreign employee, it's rather disheartening. How did you guys do it? Any help/info is much appreciated.
I go to an "eye doctor", he's an "optometrist", and I've been going to him for about 25 years now. His office is so small that I can't imagine him hiring anyone and sponsoring them for a work visa. From what I can tell, all these kinds of optometry offices are very small and independently owned, so are not likely to sponsor a work visa.

Not sure if you can get a J-1 type of visa to work in a medical facility as an optometrist, but I guess that's where I'd start looking.

Here's my optometrist's website, just for fun: http://www.paulwagnerod.com/ourpractice.html

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

According to Wikipedia (my underlining):

Optometry is a healthcare profession concerned with the health of the eyes and related structures, as well as vision, visual systems, and vision information processing in humans. In the United States, Canada . . . optometrists are doctors of optometry and are held to the same legal standards as any physician. Optometrists (also known as ophthalmic opticians outside the United States and Canada) are trained to prescribe and fit lenses to improve vision, and to diagnose and treat various eye diseases. In all U.S. states optometrists are licensed to diagnose and treat diseases of the eye through topical diagnostic and therapeutic drugs, and oral drugs in 48 of the 50 states. This is not the case, however, in the United Kingdom and other countries, where optometrists do not undertake medical training equivalent to that of physicians and are therefore not considered so.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You are not delusional. You are just not seeing clearly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.