Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

am i crazy for supporting BA??

am i crazy for supporting BA??

Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough
Default am i crazy for supporting BA??

just booked a LHR/HAM early Nov return flight with BA for us$75 in taxes and 12000 BA miles...

hmm, now to figure out how to get to London to make the flight, lol...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i crazy for supporting BA??

Pack extra food to take with you?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

well if your first class, you'll be well comfy
anyway, those handful of seats up front pay for the flight so have a laugh at those gits

and i'd support ba as long as my sister works there because although the discount tickets are shite compared to other companies, there still a hell of a lot cheaper than in the open market *l*
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: am i crazy for supporting BA??

My husband was on the BA185 from LHR-Newark on Monday morning. At check-in they gave him two vouchers for 10 pounds to buy food (he was returning from doing the voluntary work in Sri-Lanka and was flying World Traveller Plus). Business Class passengers got vouchers for 30 pounds and Economy got them for the value of 10 pounds.

He went to WH Smith and of course there were no snacks such as crisps, peanuts etc. left.....he spent 10 pounds on Cadbury's chocolate - most of it is now in our fridge! Luckily for him he flies with BA so often to go to meetings at Head Office in London he's an Executive Gold Card member so was able to get some snacks in the Exec lounge before boarding.

On arrival at Newark he understood that he could buy something to eat at the food court and use the voucher. Unfortunately as he left the plane, BA staff were collecting the unused vouchers (I guess the food court vendors were refusing to accept them)....and in return he was given a tiny (240ml) bottle of water, a tiny packet of pretzels and a tiny (two fingers) packet of Walker's shortbread biscuits.

Unless BA sorts out its catering operations soon they will lose all the goodwill they have spent years building up...my husband will stay loyal to them as he does a lot of worldwide travel and they offer the best route network connections - and of course he likes to 'fly the flag' LOL!.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4158644.stm

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 18th 2005 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
well if your first class, you'll be well comfy
anyway, those handful of seats up front pay for the flight so have a laugh at those gits

and i'd support ba as long as my sister works there because although the discount tickets are shite compared to other companies, there still a hell of a lot cheaper than in the open market *l*
first class, haha, in my dreams...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Pack extra food to take with you?
fortunately london/hamburg is only about 1.5 hours so hopefully i'll manage.
if by november BA doesn't have their act together about the catering/inflight
service they will be in serious doodoo..
on the other hand i always thought it was kind of crazy to give a meal and 2 bev. services on a flight of 1.5 hrs...
the flight attendents were going mad trying to get it all in and cleared away before arrival.

Last edited by silvermine; Aug 18th 2005 at 4:56 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:20 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by silvermine
just booked a LHR/HAM early Nov return flight with BA for us$75 in taxes and 12000 BA miles...

hmm, now to figure out how to get to London to make the flight, lol...
How do you get 12,000 miles for London to Hamburg -are you going via Cape Town?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
How do you get 12,000 miles for London to Hamburg -are you going via Cape Town?
It cost him 12,000 miles and $75 in taxes for the flight.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
It cost him 12,000 miles and $75 in taxes for the flight.
correct for uk to europe flights seems they charge you the tax plus 12000miles
.. not the greatest deal for sure
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: am i crazy for supporting BA??

Well, BA still isn't offering a proper meal service.

I was helping a young couple who flew in from London this morning and all they got to eat was the double-cheese roll (although they're very nice!) and the treacle tart.

They were pleased that I'd helped them and gave me one of the tarts LOL!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Unless BA sorts out its catering operations soon they will lose all the goodwill they have spent years building up...

Well here's a thought on that very thing.........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists...552342,00.html
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well here's a thought on that very thing.........
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists...552342,00.html
Remind me of the 80s when a friend had a successful refrigerated trucking business in London..The TGWU decided he had to pay his 60 workers more ..he offered a fair amount which the worker mostly accepted ..but the union insisted on more... he sold off the trucks ..sold the land.. and retired to the Costa somewhere...six months later the union steward is still picketing outside the gates ...as a new housing estate is being built on the land ...
Other's can work out the moral of this story ...
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Remind me of the 80s when a friend had a successful refrigerated trucking business in London..The TGWU decided he had to pay his 60 workers more ..he offered a fair amount which the worker mostly accepted ..but the union insisted on more... he sold off the trucks ..sold the land.. and retired to the Costa somewhere...six months later the union steward is still picketing outside the gates ...as a new housing estate is being built on the land ...
Other's can work out the moral of this story ...
But Ray, it's not the Union picketing, its the workers.

I think the moral of the story is don't buy on the Costas, there are way too many Brits living there.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
But Ray, it's not the Union picketing, its the workers.
I just cant read the guardian tripe ..so you are saying there is no union involved
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I just cant read the guardian tripe ..so you are saying there is no union involved
It wasn't a union strike - it was just their own idea and was an "illegal" strike because they didn't follow procedure and call the vote, etc. They used to be BA workers, but BA started contracting out instead - cheaper. The tripe, sorry, article, talks about the growth of UK companies contracting out to the lowest bidder, the lowest skilled immigrant worker, in service jobs, instead of investing in the training of workers and then retaining the trained workers. The pinko rag, sorry, The Guardian, views this as a poor national investment.

Now, back to Readers Wives for you, dear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.