Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

alternatives to usa

alternatives to usa

Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:56 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all
Default alternatives to usa

If for some reason the members of the USA forum had been denied visas for entry to the USA for what ever reason, would you have looked to emigrating to a different country i.e Australia, Canada, New Zealand or a European country? Or would you have stayed in the UK? If we had not got our Green Cards we may of looked to Australia as a second choice, as we did not want to stay in the UK
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:05 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: alternatives to usa

We were told many years ago aged 23 that we would never get into the USA no way no how....so we made a very good life in the UK.. no what ifs ever crossed our minds ...then at 35 we looked at Canada after a visit there...but it was not for us...at 39 hubby was offerd a job in the USA...and here we are...if we'd not got the visa we would not of looked to move anywhere else...if hubby had no been about to lose his UK job we would not of taken up the offer...
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:37 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the US to be with my USC fiancee. I could have easily ended up in NZ, Oz, Canada or even stayed in the UK if I had met someone different.

Sometimes I wish I had
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:43 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: alternatives to usa

I wouldn't want to live in Australia or NZ, it's just too far away. I married a USC, and came to USA no problem. If I had married an Aussie or NZ, I wouldn't have gone.

I went to Hawaii a few years ago. It's 2400 miles from California. Had a wonderful time, but the whole time I there I kept thinking about how far it was from the mainland. How for the whole week I felt like I didn't know what was going on in the world. How isolated it felt. Even though its a great holiday, I felt relieved to be back on the mainland. (too expensive anyway!).
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dragonfly
If for some reason the members of the USA forum had been denied visas for entry to the USA for what ever reason, would you have looked to emigrating to a different country i.e Australia, Canada, New Zealand or a European country? Or would you have stayed in the UK? If we had not got our Green Cards we may of looked to Australia as a second choice, as we did not want to stay in the UK
Depends on the reason for applying for the visa. If one is applying through marriage to a USC and gets denied, the logical option would be to remain in the UK.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I think we may have gone to somewhere in Europe. Don't know exactly where though. Hubby was offered a transfer from his job in UK so we decided to go for it. It has been a good experience, but I'm not sure if we will stay here forever.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Well, I'm a USC, but I've got PR in New Zealand. I'm here in the US for three-and-a-half months before heading back to New Zealand. I'm in the Silicon Valley and it's great as far as weather and Mexican food go, the drivers here are more courteous than in New Zealand (even the FBDs -foreign born drivers), but on the whole I'd rather be back home in New Zealand.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mallory
I wouldn't want to live in Australia or NZ, it's just too far away. .
I have to agree with you there. I moved to Aus in 99 from the UK and recently moved to USA. The flight back to blighty isn't that long from USA, but from AUS it's a real pain in the bum.

How for the whole week I felt like I didn't know what was going on in the world.
I found that when I was in Australia I knew more about the world news than when I do in USA. I find the news here lacking details or even anything about the rest of the world.

(too expensive anyway!).
Cost of living in Australia is about the same as USA. However I find the food better in AUS than USA. What is the deal with all the sugar in the bread???

If I could not have come to USA or Australia, then I think I would have moved to Ireland.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Well my USC hubby and I were both living legally in France before we moved, but if we'd decided against moving to the US, we would have gone to England. I was his translator and he doesn't want to live somewhere again where he doesn't know the lingo. Fingers crossed we'll be off to NZ shortly.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We would have stayed in the UK and probably bought a second home in Spain or France for when we retired.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

I had two job interviews within the same week. I would have been perfectly happy doing both and decided to accept the first one I was offered. Thus I ended up in the USA. One week after taking this job I was offered the other, in Israel. Later that month Hamas were elected to run Palestine and the rest, as they say, is history. Having said that there are times when Israel still appeals - I would probably have taken the job anyway.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I probably wouldn't have bothered, I weren't that bothered as it was...though I'd have probably saved up a bit of money and then taken a year out to go travelling around parts of europe that I haven't seen yet, would like to do that, but see that as less likely as time goes by.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:25 am
Banned

Hugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
I probably wouldn't have bothered, I weren't that bothered as it was...though I'd have probably saved up a bit of money and then taken a year out to go travelling around parts of europe that I haven't seen yet, would like to do that, but see that as less likely as time goes by.
Bothered with what Bob? Why did you come to the US anyhow? Wife? Job?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh Handbag
Mr & Mrs Bob:

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...65&limit=views

Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh Handbag
I wouldn't have bothered with the US....only gave it a go cos of the missus...sounded like a good idea at the time...still, it's what you make of it ain't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.