Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to U-Haul?

Alternatives to U-Haul?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:02 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Alternatives to U-Haul?

Thanks all for the input. The U-pack place was around $1300 so it looks like a Penske truck seat and my arse will be acquainted for 12 hours at some point in December!.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternatives to U-Haul?

Originally Posted by CarlM
..... I've heard Penske are cheap but I dont know much about them. ....
I've used Penske to move myself twice, and my in-laws once. They were much cheaper than U-Haul, and than Ryder/ Budget too. The small Penske trucks are generally fairly new, the larger ones may be older, but well up to the task.

The one that I drove from New York to Virginia had a 25ft box - which would be a Class 3 HGV in the UK, but rented to me on a car licence! ..... All I was missing was a box of Yorkie bars to munch on!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone here who rented and drove their own moving truck ever have to drive more than 500-600miles, and was someone driving your car for you, or did you tow it on a "dolly"?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:26 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Alternatives to U-Haul?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Did anyone here who rented and drove their own moving truck ever have to drive more than 500-600miles, and was someone driving your car for you, or did you tow it on a "dolly"?
When we moved up, i drove from Atlanta to Columbus in the pos UHaul and my wife drove up in my comfortable Explorer (i know who got the wrong end of that deal). have seen many people towing their cars,. but not sure i'd fancy that. The thought of reversing one of those things with a trailer on the back.. :scared:
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:32 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved from Charlotte, NC to Denver (1700ish miles) two years ago I used a U-Haul and towed my car behind. I made sure that I got the flatbed-type trailer so all four wheels were off the ground. The smaller-type trailers are cheaper, but they didn't look stable to me. My company paid, so I don't know how much it all cost.

I moved again this month from Denver to Florida (2000 miles) and this time the company paid for a moving company to move (and pack!) everything for me. It certainly is the way to go At times I had to leave the apartment because everyone was doing all the work except me This time one car was shipped on a transporter and we drove the other one cross-country.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
When I moved from Charlotte, NC to Denver (1700ish miles) two years ago I used a U-Haul and towed my car behind. I made sure that I got the flatbed-type trailer so all four wheels were off the ground. The smaller-type trailers are cheaper, but they didn't look stable to me. My company paid, so I don't know how much it all cost.

I moved again this month from Denver to Florida (2000 miles) and this time the company paid for a moving company to move (and pack!) everything for me. It certainly is the way to go At times I had to leave the apartment because everyone was doing all the work except me This time one car was shipped on a transporter and we drove the other one cross-country.
Mmmm sounds like I just shouldn't be so cheap!

I really don't have much to move - a one bedroom apartment, comprising king bed, sofa, tv, coffee and side tables and a few lamps - from IL to FL - so I don't want to pay a small fortune.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We did 520 miles, NY to VA, I drove the truck, Mrs P drove our car, mostly leading the way. One time she stopped for a "comfort stop", at the same time that I realised I could cruise at almost 70, having come through the hills in PA doing only 60ish. ..... It took her more than an hour to catch me!