Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Almost Ready to go - I94+Customs

Almost Ready to go - I94+Customs

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of
Default Almost Ready to go - I94+Customs

I leave for the US on Sept 23rd on an H1b. I think I've pretty much got everything sorted out here, just my iphone to sell on ebay and a garage full of DIY stuff to get rid of somewhere. Plus I've got to sell the car, I'm going to get a big hit on that, it's only 30 months old so probably the worst time to sell in regards of depreciation. All the stuff I'm taking is in the safe, I hope!, hands of Doree Bonner. Credit cards all closed down and I've been through all the moving lists I could find on here. Another great benefit of this forum.
Using Dallas Fort Worth as PoE, I've been there 5/6 times before so I know the layout.

I know I have to complete a white I94 before landing. I assume that BA will have them in the lounge or on the plane.

I just have a couple of questions about the US Customs Form:

Question 7 (Country of Residence) - Do I put UK or US? I'm assuming I put US.
Question 15 (Residents/Visitors) - I assume I answer as a resident. I'm taking all my clothes, camera, ipods and 3 laptops with me through customs do I just give an estimate of what I think they're worth now? or what they cost new?

Any other tips on things I might have missed will be appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Almost Ready to go - I94+Customs

I wouldn't have closed ALL my credit cards in the uk. We kept one open and have found it invaluable when we travel back....
Did you keep a bank account open?

sorry forgot your question...

from recollection, yes we put US as country of residence not sure what happened with the white form now the green ones ESTA though? )

cant recall the wotding of question 15 - but i know we didn't delcare anything when we came in, after all - i'm not sure anyone "declares clothes when the enter form a vacation, just those items they may have to pay tax on....

Last edited by bilbos92; Sep 2nd 2011 at 11:01 am. Reason: DOH!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Yes, kept a bank account and debit card. They should be fine for what I need.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RayM
I leave for the US on Sept 23rd on an H1b. I think I've pretty much got everything sorted out here, just my iphone to sell on ebay and a garage full of DIY stuff to get rid of somewhere. Plus I've got to sell the car, I'm going to get a big hit on that, it's only 30 months old so probably the worst time to sell in regards of depreciation. All the stuff I'm taking is in the safe, I hope!, hands of Doree Bonner. Credit cards all closed down and I've been through all the moving lists I could find on here. Another great benefit of this forum.
Using Dallas Fort Worth as PoE, I've been there 5/6 times before so I know the layout.

I know I have to complete a white I94 before landing. I assume that BA will have them in the lounge or on the plane.

I just have a couple of questions about the US Customs Form:

Question 7 (Country of Residence) - Do I put UK or US? I'm assuming I put US.
Question 15 (Residents/Visitors) - I assume I answer as a resident. I'm taking all my clothes, camera, ipods and 3 laptops with me through customs do I just give an estimate of what I think they're worth now? or what they cost new?

Any other tips on things I might have missed will be appreciated.
I'm on an E2 and have always and have always answered country of residence as UK. I was under the impression it was referring to permanent residency. I once put the US and thr immigration officer chmaged it back to UK.

And as a visitor nothing I bring in will be staying permanently in the US, therefore nothing to declare.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:27 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

They usually have the white I-94 on the plane if you don't pick one up at check-in
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Least you kept the bank account, but bad idea closing the credit cards.

Were any AmEx by any chance?

Other tips, P-85 filled in and sorted before you move, it's just easier to visit an office and get it sorted than from afar.

Same for voter registration, it's easier to sort out a proxy voter while in country and proxy voter is better than a foreign postal voter because half the time the turn around is to short for it to count.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bob.
Credit cards included an Amex but it was an MBNA one so not transferable to the US. I already have a BoA credit card in the US. For trips back to the UK I have a company card and will keep some money in my UK bank account. P85's done. Not really worried about voter registration.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the phone. Get a new SIM card once you are in the USA.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

iPhones gone. Can't believe someone paid £230 for an 18 month old iPhone. I wanted a new iPhone 4 anyway.