Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Almost done with USA

Almost done with USA

Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost done with USA

Originally Posted by N1cky
oh come on, get in on the act. You know you want to
Which is the youngest character?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Which is the youngest character?
Glenda and Barry are the youngest I know of. I didn't know their names I had to IMDB them, honest
Attached Images  
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Glenda and Barry are the youngest I know of. I didn't know their names I had to IMDB them, honest
that's the one then.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:45 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
that's the one then.
I like your's. She was a nice lady, I spoke to her a few times in the supermarket
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like your's. She was a nice lady, I spoke to her a few times in the supermarket
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

I hate people who are happy to go uninformed, then harbour an opinion on something. Everyone's an expert these days, as a scientist it annoys me that they changed the name of NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) to MRI because the word nuclear was thought to mean it was a bad thing, as in exposure to dangerous radiation. Even the word radiation makes people think negatively, just realise that light is radiation.

Whatever 'clean coal' was about confused me, if you want clean and efficient energy then fund nuclear fusion, and realise that as an in between measure, nuclear fission is pretty good and very safe, in my eyes the negative is the expense. When you have evidence saying one thing or the other about climate change look who comissioned it! You'd be amazed what findings scientists funded by oil and gas companies come up with, as opposed to Greenpeace funded ones.

In terms of healthcare my opinion is that in the UK everyone wants or expects something different. I'd say pay for what you want. Maybe that's just my selfish attitude as a young and healthy adult, that when I or my brother go to my GP with something, I've been twice in 14 years and my brother has been a lot more, there's always a queue of young mums worried that their little one is dying when he merely has a cough or fell over. I could never be a GP and deal with that, even on their very large salaries. But either way, for us to paint the NHS as some model for healthcare perfection is wrong, for the US right to paint it as a continuation of Josef Mengele's work is equally wrong, how people eat such crap up is beyond me.

With regards to the mosque 'at' Ground Zero, I'm not privy to enough information to be informed fully about the intentions and background of the people behind it. I'm aware that most Muslims are normal, peaceful and loving people. I'm also aware that a lot of mosques, in the UK at least, have an undercurrent of radicalism (note NOT neccesarily terrorism) and that there's some dodgy money going in to and out of some mosques. I think if there were some serious connections they'd be out by now. Either way, I'm not able to come up with a justified argument for or against it, nor I expect are most people.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:35 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
Either way, I'm not able to come up with a justified argument for or against it, nor I expect are most people.
Actually, it's staggeringly easy to come up with a justified argument for it. First and 14th Amendments. 'Nuff said.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:05 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Actually, it's staggeringly easy to come up with a justified argument for it. First and 14th Amendments. 'Nuff said.
Yep. Believe it or not, one of the few good things about living in the crappy part of TX that I do is, a lot of the "redneck gun nuts" that I associate with actually grasp that.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:21 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

oh come on, get in on the act. You know you want to
Never.

Now, if anyone can find me a picture of that episode of Run the Risk that I was in the audience for at the age of 12, I'd happily put that as my avatar.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do something. I don't see much of an argument of the legality of it, more on whether or not it should be done. Noone's going to stop it. Personally I say live and let live, I don't think its location or purpose disrespects 9/11 victims. In my opinion the furore, much more then the building itself, creates a platform for idiot clerics to speak 'on behalf' of people nothing to do with that particular building. But that's my opinion and based on nothing at all. People far more clever and knowlegable than me can come up with argument and counter argument on its suitability, I don't think any sane person is questioning the legality.

The argument as far as I see is should it be done not can it (legally) be done. The Constitution plays no part in that unless you regard Islam as being one and the same as whatever those idiots who took over those planes believed, which I hope noone here does. Of course, you can use it as a counter argument to anyone spouting such nonesense that a mosque glorifies 9/11.

Last edited by chrisbeale; Aug 28th 2010 at 1:26 am.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:28 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
The argument as far as I see is should it be done not can it (legally) be done. The Constitution plays no part in that unless you regard Islam as being one and the same as whatever those idiots who took over those planes believed, which I hope noone here does. Of course, you can use it as a counter argument to anyone spouting such nonesense that a mosque glorifies 9/11.
De gustibus...
Old Aug 28th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Glad you asked
  • Cut federal taxes for 95% of Americans
  • Cut small business taxes by offering various credits – this year I paid the lowest percent of my business income in taxes since I started it 8 years ago.
  • Extended unemployment benefits and provided COBRA assistance to millions of people during the recession.
  • Withdrew all combat troops from Iraq (just last week)
  • Signed the $787B stimulus bill that included State aid that has kept all my local firefighters, waste disposal guys and teachers employed when lay-offs were previously pending.
  • Passed financial regulatory reform to address Wall St excesses, including the all-important consumer protection agency that the Republicans vehemently opposed.
  • Saved millions of lives, quite literally, by reversing George W. Bush's funding cutoff to overseas family planning organizations.
  • Authorized the California car-emissions standards that Bush had been blocking for six years
  • Erased Bush's decision to restrict federal funding for stem-cell research – a key step for sufferers of all kinds of chronic illnesses
  • Nominated two accomplished female Supreme Court justices both of whom are strong enough and smart enough to balance the excesses of the right-wing court.
  • Spearheaded major educational reforms that are in progress and are supported by everyone from Newt Gingrich on the right to Al Sharpton on the left.
  • Saved the US auto industry by forcing two of the companies in bankruptcy – all 3 US automakers are now making a profit.
  • Stopped the financial collapse, revived the credit markets, and drove the stock market back up, thereby increasing everyone’s 401Ks
  • Reformed our healthcare system for the first time in 40 years with immediate benefits such the removal of preexisting condition bans for children, an immediate end to the evil practices of recission and annual coverage limits, and longer term benefits such as the removal of the same bans for adults (in 2014).
  • Signed the Lilly Leadbetter fair pay act that ensures women cannot be discriminated against when it comes to pay.
  • Got BP to pay $20B to American victims of the oil spill.
  • Reversed the Bush administration's decision to sell thousands of acres of public parkland.
  • Currently in the process of repealing 'don't ask don't tell' to allow gays to serve openly in the military

That's just off the top of my head - I know I'm forgetting stuff.

With the exception of the financial bail-outs, none of those things would have happened under President John McCain, so I just think it's patently false for people to claim politicians are all the same and there's no point in voting.

If you agree with those things, he's your guy. If you don't, you can vote for someone else. But who you vote for does matter.

Guess I'll vote for someone else.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 12:57 am
Just Joined

blondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun
Is it me or is the USA turning into a country of idiotic bigots? Right after various bloggers and politicians whipped up outrage at the "Ground Zero Mosque", I now read that 18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim (it's 34% amongst Republicans). I don't know if I can live here anymore, it's just getting too surreal and scary.
As an American (albeit with Brit BF) please know that that 18 percent encompasses on those who have time to respond to surveys...it is the lunatic fringe represented in that number...those of us who know better, calmly keep putting one foot in front of the other and going about our work and private lives knowing we are far better off now than we were when Bush was Prez...pls, despair not...ann