Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Wikiposts

Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:21 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hope your son gets his allergies sorted out. I see the medical forms for our cub pack, and over 75% of the boys are on some sort of medication, mainly for allergies, but also lots for ADD or DHD or whatever it is. I used to poo-poo the kids allergy stuff as a combination of overactive doctors and hypochondria, but I think I'm gonna have to ear my words as last fall my 10 year old and I were both streaming for weeks with no real identifiable reason....but we're both guys (and so are obviously wimps when it comes to going to the docs) so we just lived with it and were miserable. If it comes back this year we'll be off to the docs straightaway!
The dude was pretty bad all last year, maybe a little better during the summer months. I started off thinking maybe it was a cold, then maybe allergies so I tried the usual advertised allergy stuff. When he finally piped up 'Mum I can't deal with this anymore it's driving me crazy' I knew it was time to go get it seen to. He is worse in the morning at home and says he sneezes all day long at school. He did his first sinus rinse last night no problems - rather him than me, I could feel myself starting to gag on his behalf - urrgghhh.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:24 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
BUT, I've just gone on pravastatin for lowering my cholesterol and I was amazed at the cost when I went for my first prescription....$5 for a month, and the pharmacist said that when they'd got the dose sorted out, to ask my quack for a rolling 3 month prescription and they'd be able to do that at the same price! First time I have ever said anything in the medical field is cheap here!
Hubby's super duper pain meds after his surgery last year were $5 a tub but this nasal spray is $27 - no rhyme nor reason to any of it.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
The dude was pretty bad all last year, maybe a little better during the summer months. I started off thinking maybe it was a cold, then maybe allergies so I tried the usual advertised allergy stuff. When he finally piped up 'Mum I can't deal with this anymore it's driving me crazy' I knew it was time to go get it seen to. He is worse in the morning at home and says he sneezes all day long at school. He did his first sinus rinse last night no problems - rather him than me, I could feel myself starting to gag on his behalf - urrgghhh.
It's because we live in allergy capital USA...another for Houston

Do you have a humidifier? It sometimes helps.

We all had bad allergy problems when we first moved here but over the years it lessened and lessened. I guess we got used to it.

Hope he gets to feeling better soon
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I don't know if they do allergy shots in the UK. Or maybe they just don't do it on the NHS. But DH doesn't have much allergy these days, we have 3 rats and a very fluffy rabbit. Occasionally he gets a bit sniffly with the bunny if he holds her and cuddles her, but nothing an antihistamine tablet won't cure.
I think they do in the UK - my brother gets loads of allergies and they tried everything, I seem to remember him getting shots. I know he got acupuncture on the NHS.

'Healthcare' over here is just a racket. Not only is the financing for it corrupt, you never know if you actually need treatment or are just lining someone's pocket.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:21 am
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think they do in the UK - my brother gets loads of allergies and they tried everything, I seem to remember him getting shots. I know he got acupuncture on the NHS.

'Healthcare' over here is just a racket. Not only is the financing for it corrupt, you never know if you actually need treatment or are just lining someone's pocket.
That's exactly how hubby feels. As he said if the nasal spray works why bother with the $350 allergy test and then 6 months or so of allergy shots. My view was so that dude is 'cured' and no longer needs to take any medication. Of course hubby countered with 'Yes but after six months he might still not be 'cured' and still need medication/nasal spray' - arrghh....

I also can't get round telling the doctor 'No that's OK we won't bother with the tests until we see if the nasal spray works'. I was brought up just doing what the doctor tells me no questions asked. I suppose I need to change the way I think and start treating them like any other service provider.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly how hubby feels. As he said if the nasal spray works why bother with the $350 allergy test and then 6 months or so of allergy shots. My view was so that dude is 'cured' and no longer needs to take any medication. Of course hubby countered with 'Yes but after six months he might still not be 'cured' and still need medication/nasal spray' - arrghh....

I also can't get round telling the doctor 'No that's OK we won't bother with the tests until we see if the nasal spray works'. I was brought up just doing what the doctor tells me no questions asked. I suppose I need to change the way I think and start treating them like any other service provider.
Difficult isn't it? The tests could be useful to see if the specific allergen can be isolated.

My son had a similar problem and it was found to be grass which was the main problem. He seems to have grown out of it to some extent now (18).
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:04 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Costco or Target? They both have very good prices for medication. In fact it was cheaper for me to get my medication at Costco than through my prescription plan! Some plans will cover acupuncture if your plan covers chiropractics and the acupuncturist is in a chiropractors office. The same with massage.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:18 am
Chocoholic !

56 (yes 56) skin pricks and he is allergic to...drum roll please...nothing!!!

Could be non-allergic chronic rhinitis or sinusitis so she has given him some anti-biotics (hmm maybe we could have done that before the $300 allergy test) to see if it clears up. If not lets do a CT scan and some surgery - for a runny flippin nose and sneezing. Anyway lets add another $47 bucks to the total so far for the meds. Don't know what's going on with our prescription plan this year!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be non-allergic chronic rhinitis or sinusitis so she has given him some anti-biotics (hmm maybe we could have done that before the $300 allergy test) to see if it clears up. If not lets do a CT scan and some surgery - for a runny flippin nose and sneezing. Anyway lets add another $47 bucks to the total so far for the meds. Don't know what's going on with our prescription plan this year!
Do you have a humidifier for his room? It helps a lot to keep the air clean.

Also have you been buying any of the OTC nose sprays for him? If you have it may be making it worse.

It might also be a time thing...eventually he may get used to what is in the air. That is what happened to M. He had terrible allergies for the first few years that we lived here and then they just stopped. Hopefully your dude will do the same

Do you have a deductible on perscriptions? It is usually seperate from medical deduction.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Actually that is not bad knowing that. If he was allergic to mold and you had a mold problem in your house, you may have to tear out all the walls or move. So which would you rather have, a $500 doctor bill or a $100,000 home repair bill or you could always take him out in the woods in the back?

Last edited by Michael; Jan 20th 2012 at 4:14 am.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:16 am
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Do you have a humidifier for his room? It helps a lot to keep the air clean.

Also have you been buying any of the OTC nose sprays for him? If you have it may be making it worse.

It might also be a time thing...eventually he may get used to what is in the air. That is what happened to M. He had terrible allergies for the first few years that we lived here and then they just stopped. Hopefully your dude will do the same

Do you have a deductible on perscriptions? It is usually seperate from medical deduction.
No no OTC nasal sprays, we just went through the usual OTC allergy meds before going to see the doctor. It's weird as he was OK up until this year, my eyes on the other hand have been itchy since we moved here but a drop every other day sorts me out. I was sure it was gonna be the cats even though we have had them for almost 3 years now.

Fingers crossed the anti-biotics might do the trick. The nasal rinse and spray from the doctor have helped a bit, at least he can breathe through both nostrils although he is still sniffing and sneezing.

I am checking our prescription plan as it looks like we didn't have a deductible in previous years but we are paying 100% of cost so far this year. There is a good chance hubby got an e-mail informing of this but it has been lost in his 'sea of red' as he call's his e-mail inbox haha!

You know I think the medical thing is my biggest headache from moving here - I don't even mind doing my tax return compared to figuring out our medical stuff!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:17 am
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Michael
Actually that is not bad knowing that. If he was allergic to mold and you had a mold problem in your house, you may have to tear out all the walls or move. So which would you rather have, a $500 doctor bill or a $100,000 home repair bill or you could always take him out in the woods in the back?
True, as I said before if it had been the cats I am not sure who would have been 'relocated'
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It's $100 to see your PCP in the office? That's outrageous. It's $5 for a checkup and $20 for a sick visit for me.

Antibiotics are generally tried before allergy testing I thought. You can def get chronic sinus infection that goes on and on and can do damage so if it doesn't go away the CT may be worth it. Let's hope it's not necessary though!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:33 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
It's $100 to see your PCP in the office? That's outrageous. It's $5 for a checkup and $20 for a sick visit for me.

Antibiotics are generally tried before allergy testing I thought. You can def get chronic sinus infection that goes on and on and can do damage so if it doesn't go away the CT may be worth it. Let's hope it's not necessary though!
I agree. A $100 co pay with a PPO?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:03 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that a spoon of locally produced honey every day works wonders for allergies.

I hate honey though, so I just throw Mucinex DM down my neck when mine kick in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.