Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:23 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Just for information as I think it is interesting (especially for newbies) to see the US medical system at work!

The dude (13) has been sniffing and sneezing for the last year and after deciding it was no longer a cold and getting through a bottle of Allegra, a packet of Claritin and a packet of Claritin D with no improvement I decided to take him to the allergy doc.

We have a PPO so skipped seeing our Primary Physician as I figured that would be a $100 visit only be to be told to go to the allergy doc.

The allergist did a check up and asked a load of questions and prescribed a sinus rinse and a nasal spray (Flonase).

As we are the start of a new year we are into deductibles again so the office visit was $200 and the nasal spray was $27. When I got home I realised we had been given the generic nasal spray which I am fine with.

I still thought it was quite expensive so had a check at express scripts website (our prescription plan) and the Flonase would have cost $87 so I am really glad I got the generic now.

He goes back in a week (as he needs to be off the Claritin D for 5 days) to get the allergy tests which will cost $350 plus another $100 for the office visit.

If he shows a reaction they will give him (more) medication or do allergy shots to try to cure him of the allergy.

So $500 in doctor visits and $30 a month for the nasal spray (if it works) and who knows what the cost of any extra medication/allergy shots will be. All out of pocket so far and it's only January 13th
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergy Doc Visit & Prescription Charges

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Just for information as I think it is interesting (especially for newbies) to see the US medical system at work!

The dude (13) has been sniffing and sneezing for the last year and after deciding it was no longer a cold and getting through a bottle of Allegra, a packet of Claritin and a packet of Claritin D with no improvement I decided to take him to the allergy doc.

We have a PPO so skipped seeing our Primary Physician as I figured that would be a $100 visit only be to be told to go to the allergy doc.

The allergist did a check up and asked a load of questions and prescribed a sinus rinse and a nasal spray (Flonase).

As we are the start of a new year we are into deductibles again so the office visit was $200 and the nasal spray was $27. When I got home I realised we had been given the generic nasal spray which I am fine with.

I still thought it was quite expensive so had a check at express scripts website (our prescription plan) and the Flonase would have cost $87 so I am really glad I got the generic now.

He goes back in a week (as he needs to be off the Claritin D for 5 days) to get the allergy tests which will cost $350 plus another $100 for the office visit.

If he shows a reaction they will give him (more) medication or do allergy shots to try to cure him of the allergy.

So $500 in doctor visits and $30 a month for the nasal spray (if it works) and who knows what the cost of any extra medication/allergy shots will be. All out of pocket so far and it's only January 13th

Ooooooo crap, that's not good. I had a bill last year, after taking my daughter for, what turned out to be, a urinary tract infection, for over $500 too. The main reason being, that the doc had sent away samples for every condition known to man and I got hit for a bill of over $320 just for the tests, which were re-priced by the insurance

As I said in another post this morning, this really is the biggest downside living here. Everything else I love, but the healthcare is so expensive for absolutely everything, especially if you have a "pre-existing condition", even though it causes you no major problems and no meds are required
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, meant to say, hope they get him sorted out and you find out exactly what he's allergic to.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:42 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Sorry, meant to say, hope they get him sorted out and you find out exactly what he's allergic to.
Thanks Brat1, I am just hoping it's not the cats cos I am not sure if I would get rid of them or him
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say my DH had allergy shots as a child and it worked pretty well.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:47 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Just wanted to say my DH had allergy shots as a child and it worked pretty well.
That is good to know, as I am sure hubby will think it's all mumbo jumbo to make more money, he really doesn't have a lot of faith in the medical or dental professions, he was the same in the UK and it hasn't improved by moving over here.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
That is good to know, as I am sure hubby will think it's all mumbo jumbo to make more money, he really doesn't have a lot of faith in the medical or dental professions, he was the same in the UK and it hasn't improved by moving over here.
I don't know if they do allergy shots in the UK. Or maybe they just don't do it on the NHS. But DH doesn't have much allergy these days, we have 3 rats and a very fluffy rabbit. Occasionally he gets a bit sniffly with the bunny if he holds her and cuddles her, but nothing an antihistamine tablet won't cure.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you sort it out!

If it makes you feel better, I'm allergic to the cold....yes, seriously...which is awesome living in New England
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My Ds did the allergist visit in November, luckily we had already paid max out of pocket and so it didn't cost us a penny for the visit and all those little pin pricks to see whats bothering him (he gets full body hives sometimes after eating ) I got the statement from the insurance and they had paid him over $1000 for the visit and allergy testing, plus more for the lab work
He ended up being allergic to the cat, some weeds and the Doc says probably some of the preservative chemicals added to very processed foods. He got two prescriptions to handle the hives once they break out and told to stay away from junk like taco bell hot sauce (a big problem for him and guess where he works?) and no more jerky sticks from the gas station.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just another thought, I had treatment back home by an Acupuncturist for hayfever and it worked, don't know how much it would cost over here versus the doc but might be worth looking into
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just another thought, I had treatment back home by an Acupuncturist for hayfever and it worked, don't know how much it would cost over here versus the doc but might be worth looking into
Depending on the insurance, that might also be covered, or a percentage at least.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depending on the insurance, that might also be covered, or a percentage at least.
Most of the time, acupuncture is not covered by insurance.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in another post this morning, this really is the biggest downside living here. Everything else I love, but the healthcare is so expensive for absolutely everything, especially if you have a "pre-existing condition", even though it causes you no major problems and no meds are required
Can't argue with that at all. As a family of 5 we spent over 15k last year on medical dental and vision (including premiums) without anything really serious going on. Ludicrous.

BUT, I've just gone on pravastatin for lowering my cholesterol and I was amazed at the cost when I went for my first prescription....$5 for a month, and the pharmacist said that when they'd got the dose sorted out, to ask my quack for a rolling 3 month prescription and they'd be able to do that at the same price! First time I have ever said anything in the medical field is cheap here!

Hope your son gets his allergies sorted out. I see the medical forms for our cub pack, and over 75% of the boys are on some sort of medication, mainly for allergies, but also lots for ADD or DHD or whatever it is. I used to poo-poo the kids allergy stuff as a combination of overactive doctors and hypochondria, but I think I'm gonna have to ear my words as last fall my 10 year old and I were both streaming for weeks with no real identifiable reason....but we're both guys (and so are obviously wimps when it comes to going to the docs) so we just lived with it and were miserable. If it comes back this year we'll be off to the docs straightaway!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Michael
Most of the time, acupuncture is not covered by insurance.
Hmm...weird?

On my last plan it was 50% reimbursed and the in-laws, through MIL as a teacher, they get up to 6 visits a year covered.

Guess it's another thing that really depends on your coverage....the same went for seeing a chiro, though I had better coverage on that one.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Can't argue with that at all. As a family of 5 we spent over 15k last year on medical dental and vision (including premiums) without anything really serious going on. Ludicrous.

BUT, I've just gone on pravastatin for lowering my cholesterol and I was amazed at the cost when I went for my first prescription....$5 for a month, and the pharmacist said that when they'd got the dose sorted out, to ask my quack for a rolling 3 month prescription and they'd be able to do that at the same price! First time I have ever said anything in the medical field is cheap here!

Hope your son gets his allergies sorted out. I see the medical forms for our cub pack, and over 75% of the boys are on some sort of medication, mainly for allergies, but also lots for ADD or DHD or whatever it is. I used to poo-poo the kids allergy stuff as a combination of overactive doctors and hypochondria, but I think I'm gonna have to ear my words as last fall my 10 year old and I were both streaming for weeks with no real identifiable reason....but we're both guys (and so are obviously wimps when it comes to going to the docs) so we just lived with it and were miserable. If it comes back this year we'll be off to the docs straightaway!
When a drug is generic, it is probably cheaper in the US than anywhere else in the world due to the large size of the pharmacy that can negotiate with different drug companies for the cheapest price but brand drugs are more expensive because they are the only one that provides the drug and the pharmacy isn't large like a government and doesn't have enough leverage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.