Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For all you video game fanatics.

For all you video game fanatics.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default For all you video game fanatics.

For all you video gamers out there, here's an opportunity to test your gaming knowledge. See how you fare in this little quiz.....

1: What company released the first video gaming console in 1971?

2: What console was the first to accept cartridge based software?

3: This video game was created at M.I.T. in 1960. It was released into the arcades in 1970 by the same man who later created the "Pong" games. Name both the game and the man.

4: This 1978 video game revolutionized the arcade gaming industry, name it.

5: This game was created by Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMarr in 1979. It often created long lines in the arcades, name it.

6: "Pong" was test marketed at what California tavern.

7: Name the Japanese designer responsible for the "Mario Bros." games.

8: What company pioneered the use of "lightgun" technology?

9: This 1980's Japanese rpg was the bases for the "Resident Evil" games, name it.

Last, but certainly not least....

10: What event led to the demize of Atari corp as a major player in the console wars?

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 22nd 2004 at 10:30 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

I'd rather play than answer questions.
Attached Thumbnails For all you video game fanatics.-pong.gif  
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:46 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: For all you video game fanatics.

Originally posted by Jabba1
For all you video gamers out there, here's an opportunity to test your gaming knowledge. See how you fare in this little quiz.....

1: What company released the first video gaming console in 1971?

2: What console was the first to accept cartridge based software?

3: This video game was created at M.I.T. in 1960. It was released into the arcades in 1970 by the same man who later created the "Pong" games. Name both the game and the man.

4: This 1978 video game revolutionized the arcade gaming industry, name it.

5: This game was created by Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMarr in 1979. It often created long lines in the arcades, name it.

6: "Pong" was test marketed at what California tavern.

7: Name the Japanese designer responsible for the "Mario Bros." games.

8: What company pioneered the use of "lightgun" technology?

9: This 1980's Japanese rpg was the bases for the "Resident Evil" games, name it.

Last, but certainly not least....

10: What event led to the demize of Atari corp as a major player in the console wars?

Ok lets see how nerdy i can be?

1. The Odyssey was released by Magnavox and designed by Ralph Baer.

2. The Channel F by Fairchild Camera & Instrument Video Entertainment System in 1976.

3. Spacewar designed by Steve Russell and made into an arcade machine by Nolan Bushnell.

4. Space invaders was imported from Taito in 1978 but Ataris Football had the revolutionary trackball controller. Ok not sure.

5. Defender.

6. Andy Capps, it broke down in 2 weeks.

7. Shigeru Miyamoto

8. Namco?

9. give up?

10. Ok not sure. Insider trading by Ray Kassar in 1983 did damage then in 1984 Warner Communications sold Atari to Jack Tramiel who switched to Computer production instead. They never really recovered after that.

Hmm well not a complete nerd then.

regards,

Duncan
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwords
I'd rather play than answer questions.

Is that a another way of saying you don't know the answers?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

I know most of the answers. I even got a Magnavox Odyssey system when it first came out. I've also interviewed Nolan Bushnell (not to mention Bill Gates, Michael Dell and many other tech industry leaders). But when I'm here, I'd rather play than work.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Duncs
Ok lets see how nerdy i can be?

1. The Odyssey was released by Magnavox and designed by Ralph Baer.

2. The Channel F by Fairchild Camera & Instrument Video Entertainment System in 1976.

3. Spacewar designed by Steve Russell and made into an arcade machine by Nolan Bushnell.

4. Space invaders was imported from Taito in 1978 but Ataris Football had the revolutionary trackball controller. Ok not sure.

5. Defender.

6. Andy Capps, it broke down in 2 weeks.

7. Shigeru Miyamoto

8. Namco?

9. give up?

10. Ok not sure. Insider trading by Ray Kassar in 1983 did damage then in 1984 Warner Communications sold Atari to Jack Tramiel who switched to Computer production instead. They never really recovered after that.

Hmm well not a complete nerd then.

regards,

Duncan
1: Close, it was the Odyssey 100. You forgot the 100.

2: Yep, I still have mine, and it still works! Video Wizball is one helluva game!

3: Right on! BTW, Bushnell also founded Chuck E Cheese Pizza Time Theatres. Just a little foot note; Bushnell changed the name of the game from "Spacewar" to "Computer Space". This may have thrown some gamers off.

4: The trackball controller was certainly revolutionary, but it was Space Invaders that stood the industry on it's ear. There were arcades in Japan that had nothing but Space Invader games. Games like Defender and Asteroids derived from the popularity of Space Invaders.

5: Yep!

6: It was indeed Andy Capp's! When Bushnell went to see why the game had broken down, he discovered that it had been stuffed full of quarters. Thus the first ever video game craze was born!

7: Yep, this one was easy.

8: Good guess! Wrong though, try again.

9: Before answering this, I'll give others a chance.

10: Nope! You seem to be missing the question just a bit. I was looking for a specific event which led to the company's downfall, rather than specific acts by any man or men.

All in all though, you're as big a nerd as any I've ever incountered.

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 22nd 2004 at 10:54 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by edwords
I know most of the answers. I even got a Magnavox Odyssey system when it first came out. I've also interviewed Nolan Bushnell (not to mention Bill Gates, Michael Dell and many other tech industry leaders). But when I'm here, I'd rather play than work.

Well then.....get back to work, you!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

10: Is it cos Atari spunked all their money on the Jaguar console and it bombed massively? I'd still be writing music on my ol' ST today if they hadn't gone down the pan.

Cheers,
David.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:12 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by datcha
10: Is it cos Atari spunked all their money on the Jaguar console and it bombed massively? I'd still be writing music on my ol' ST today if they hadn't gone down the pan.

Cheers,
David.
Hey my Commodore Amiga could wup your ST's ass anyday !
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Webbie
Hey my Commodore Amiga could wup your ST's ass anyday !
hehe I had my built-in MIDI ports and was more than happy =) Don't dare bash my Spectrum 48k tho!

Cheers,
David.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:40 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

hehe I had my built-in MIDI ports and was more than happy =) Don't dare bash my Spectrum 48k tho!

Cheers,
David.
Spekkie 48k ?!!
Don't make me bring out my BBC Micro !

(God how crap were these "computers ?!" I remember when we thought they were the dogs bollocks. My calcutator has more processing power than all of them put together !)
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers,
David.

Good try, Dave!! But I'm sorry to say that's not the answer. The Jaguar, which was manufactured by IBM, was an attempted comeback by Atari which, as you so charmingly put it, "bombed massively".

Atari had already fallen from it's once lofty heights well before the Jaguar was released in the fall of 1993.

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 23rd 2004 at 3:08 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Good try, Dave!! But I'm sorry to say that's not the answer. The Jaguar, which was manufactured by IBM, was an attempted comeback by Atari which, as you so charmingly put it, "bombed massively".

Atari had already fallen from it's once lofty heights well before the Jaguar was released in the fall of 1993.
I'll have a go - I believe it was when Atari lost exclusive rights to make cartridges for its own console, allowing competitors to flood the market with cheap games. Not only had Atari lost its monopoly on its own games, new machines like Intellivision were starting to take a share of the industry.

Or could it be when Atari invested a lot of money in the crappest game of all time - E.T. ? It was awful and I don't think they could give them away.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
I'll have a go - I believe it was when Atari lost exclusive rights to make cartridges for its own console, allowing competitors to flood the market with cheap games. Not only had Atari lost its monopoly on its own games, new machines like Intellivision were starting to take a share of the industry.

Or could it be when Atari invested a lot of money in the crappest game of all time - E.T. ? It was awful and I don't think they could give them away.

Ahh, your getting close now. The events you describe are all a part of an even larger event which heralded the fall of Atari. This event has a name, it is well known to all industry insiders and long time gamers alike. All I need is the name of this event. Your getting much closer.

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 23rd 2004 at 10:07 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Ahh, your getting close now. The events you describe are all a part of an even larger event which heralded the fall of Atari. This event has a name, it is well known to all industry insiders and long time gamers alike. All I need is the name of this event. Your getting much closer.

Didn't Atari also have a chance to buy Nintendo when it was still unknown in the US, but they cocked up the deal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.