Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

All y'all in DFW OK?

All y'all in DFW OK?

Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:50 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default All y'all in DFW OK?

Whew! That was a close one! Tornadoes only ten miles to the South, SOFTBALL sized hail even closer... what a storm!

I hope all y'all here in the DFW Metroplex weathered that one OK. Anyone have any damage to report?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All y'all in DFW OK?

We are fine, the tornado sirens went off three or four times but we didn't even get any big hail.

It looks like it passed pretty close to us, (we are right off the end of the 190 by the new Firewheel mall) but we couldn't see anything, too much rain.

Hope everyone else is okay - it looks like it was heading over in Yosser's direction - over to Rowlett/Rockwall.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:23 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

How large was it?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there was one big tornado. It looks like the storm system caused several touch downs on it's path from west to east.

The hook they were concerned about passed right beneath us and through into Rockwall, they were saying earlier there was damage in Royce City but no confirmed touchdown there yet.

The winds were really strong so it might have been straight line winds that caused the damage in Royce. There was no debris or anything in the storm that we could see as it passed over us, it was hard to see anything as the rain was so heavy and the clouds were so low.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:40 am
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute

It was a big bit dodgy here for a while,.

1" hail, (got some good pictures of me holding it - I'll ry and post tomorrow) v strong winds (one of our trees now at 45 degrees), but otherwise no real damage.

Looks as if Haltom (about 5 miles south of us) had several touchdowns, an RV, miyards supermarket and truck trailer depot destroyed - also lots of houses destroyed and at least one person dead.

Just glad we never got the worst of it...scary!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:44 am
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and tornado sirens were sounding off at least twice that I heard. We had the emergency signals broadcast several times on the radio and TV

The thing I find fascinating is the weather reports on TV. The technology they have and the fact that they just stop all programming to keep you in touch is great.

Even the news station helicopters were out 10 minutes after the storm had passed and were showing the damage as the emergency services arrived on scene.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:21 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Whew! That was a close one! Tornadoes only ten miles to the South, SOFTBALL sized hail even closer... what a storm!

I hope all y'all here in the DFW Metroplex weathered that one OK. Anyone have any damage to report?
No damage just a few golf ball sized hail pieces. We had friends travelling up from Houston and they were arriving in FW as the storm passed through. The most worrying thing was the cell phone networks seemed to crash as the storm hit so we coudn't find out how they were doing.

We had been tidying the house for our friends coming so we'd picked up a bunch of stuff and stuffed it in our understairs closet. Sadly this is our tornado shelter so when the sirens went off we had to find a backup shelter.

I texted a picture of the hail pieces to our friends using a banana for size comparison. I couldn't possibly post the picture as this is a family website so I'll just leave it to your imagination how I arranged the pieces.....

We were up 'til 2 drinking and I forgot that young kids don't care about hangovers. They still wake up at 6.30 bouncing off the walls. Groan.