Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For all the VAT experts - help please

For all the VAT experts - help please

Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all the VAT experts - help please

Originally Posted by pinKaboo
re: student loans diversion

Cool, thanks for your replies. Yeah, I keep going back and scouring the student loan website for contact infomation, to no avail. They don't do email at all and the only phone number available is an 0800, which I'm blocked from calling. Also, if you call they will only talk to the account holder so my parents couldn't phone from the UK and sort it out either. The Student Loan Company sucks big time. A right pain in the arse.

I hadn't thought to contact my LEA, now that's a plan! And I'm very glad to hear that yearly lump payments could be an option. *phew*

Yeah, I do have a UK account, but it's only really ticking over in order to keep it open. I've found dealing with Bank of America to try to transfer money completely frustrating and fruitless.

Hmmm, I didn't realise I could use Paypal to transfer money like that, I looked into money transfer via that company a while ago and it didn't work out, but maybe US -> UK it's different, or the rules have relaxed? I'll have to go re-investigate, maybe I need to try a US based Paypal account instead of a UK one?!

Thanks for the reply, very helpful indeed. Currently printing out this P85 thing too, thanks also for the link and for pointing that one out!

Using paypal is a bit fiddly, set up two paypal accounts, one for US bank, the other for UK, and then just send money to the other account, and then use that account to deposit money, just watch what they charge, but for small amounts, anything under a couple hundred, it works out cheaper than the bank, for me at least....
Old Aug 13th 2004, 8:45 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrincessofWales
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, I rent a property out to a tenant in the UK, I get charged VAT on my letting agent management fees. This is normal. I also get dinged by the chancellor for any income I make on the property.

Good thing is you can claim back tax liabilities you incur in the UK on your IRS tax return in the US.
You know what's worse than that is that I think my tennants are running a cult from my house......they are advertising 'full immersion christenings' in my front window. Oh the embarrassment, I want to go back and live in it one day!.....
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
You know what's worse than that is that I think my tennants are running a cult from my house......they are advertising 'full immersion christenings' in my front window. Oh the embarrassment, I want to go back and live in it one day!.....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You've made my day! (tears of laughter are running down my face!)
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:08 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Got a big bath then eh? Hope the agent called it something fancy and added a few quid on the rent for that
Old Aug 17th 2004, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

CEO DMF is an unknown quantity at this point

As HMCE said (Vat people) you have to pay the VAT on the agents services as you are utilising a service within the UK.

But tax is a seperate issue - as you are not resident for tax pruposes within the UK you should contact your tax office and inform them. They will issue a cerificate to your agent to inform them that as you are not resident, the agent does not have to deduct the standard income tax from your rent.

UK residents have to pay standard rate income tax from the rent after the agents fee and applicable VAT has been deducted. Then when they prepare proper accounts at the year end they (usually) claim a refund.

Non-residents still have to prepare and submit accounts at the year end and pay tax as necessary - but you have not paid any throughout the year.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 9:08 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Got a big bath then eh? Hope the agent called it something fancy and added a few quid on the rent for that
No, but we have a cellar which is what I am worried about. They might just fill it up and jump off the top step.......
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

No, but we have a cellar which is what I am worried about. They might just fill it up and jump off the top step.......
Remember there are some kids read this site too - please don't go giving them ideas..