British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Alaska (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/alaska-895965/)

Pulaski Apr 26th 2017 1:50 pm

Re: Alaska

Originally Posted by ceesma (Post 12238842)
I agree. im really keen to discover what it is really like from people who have done it.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone on BE who had gone off-grid in Alaska, and I only remember one relatively frequent poster who lived in Alaska for a few years.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 26th 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12238862)
I don't recall ever seeing anyone on BE who had gone off-grid in Alaska, and I only remember one relatively frequent poster who lived in Alaska for a few years.

I seem to remember 2 who said they were in Alaska but do not recollect anything about utility arrangements.

ddsrph Apr 26th 2017 4:30 pm

There is a very good PBS program called "alone in the wilderness". Very entertaining about a guy who lived
His entire life in a remote area of Alaska. PBS runs the series every few years and also has it on DVD.

carcajou Apr 27th 2017 8:20 am

If you are researching, the way to go is to spend time in Anchorage or Fairbanks (where a lot of people who have done it and left, will be), find some people who are / have done it that meet the specifications you are looking for (thorough societies, outdoor clubs, word-of-mouth etc), and consult books/articles about it that might be available locally there but that you would have never found or even heard of in the UK, as it is a very niche market.

The people who have done it, do not all do it for the same reasons, and have different objectives when doing it and so have completely different lived experiences - you need to narrow down your sample criteria.

petitefrancaise Apr 27th 2017 9:21 pm

After the day I've had, Alaska sounds awesome. No kids, no almost ex-OH, no former clients being a pita, only grumpy bears. perfect. And it's cool.

and french people I know who support the FN. They're not allowed in, right?

Pulaski Apr 27th 2017 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12240014)
.... and french people I know who support the FN. They're not allowed in, right?

You admit to knowing supporters of the FN? :blink:

petitefrancaise Apr 27th 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12240026)
You admit to knowing supporters of the FN? :blink:

Why are you surprised?
30% of the voters in my tiny town in france voted for the FN.
?23% of France voted for the FN.

Austin has a large french community. I've just left the french FB group because of the pro-FN propaganda in it.
The FN and their hate policies have been "normalised" in France. You are no longer a social outcast because of supporting them. Thank god I left.

Pulaski Apr 27th 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12240037)
Why are you surprised? ....

It was a reference to admitting it. I image it leaves a nasty taste in your mouth. :unsure:

.... The FN and their hate policies have been "normalised" in France. You are no longer a social outcast because of supporting them. Thank god I left.
And landed in Trump's America. :rofl: ..... Maybe you could go back to Britain? :hysterical:

petitefrancaise Apr 27th 2017 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12240043)
And landed in Trump's America. :rofl: ..... Maybe you could go back to Britain? :hysterical:

I've had a tough day so F***k off!!!

I'm off to Spain.

Pulaski Apr 27th 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12240046)
I've had a tough day so F***k off!!!

I'm off to Spain.

I hope your evening improves. :)

petitefrancaise Apr 27th 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12240050)
I hope your evening improves. :)

:drinkwine:

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 27th 2017 10:00 pm

After the day I've had, Alaska sounds awesome. No kids, no almost ex-OH, no former clients being a pita, only grumpy bears. perfect. And it's cool.

North Carolina is perfect.:nod:

mrken30 Apr 27th 2017 10:52 pm

I'm surprised the movie "Into the wild" has not been mentioned yet.

carcajou Apr 27th 2017 11:22 pm

. . . and bears are not even that grumpy. Just tie a tin can to your belt with some pebbles in it so they can hear you coming when you're outside, and they will leave you alone.

petitefrancaise Apr 27th 2017 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12240113)
. . . and bears are not even that grumpy. Just tie a tin can to your belt with some pebbles in it so they can hear you coming when you're outside, and they will leave you alone.

:rofl:

I think I should be wearing one of those around the house this evening!