Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Alarm Clock Etiquette

Alarm Clock Etiquette

Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Alarm Clock Etiquette

I'm guessing that this will be a combination of a much-needed rant and an attempt to get some suggestions on how to fix this.

Ok, here's the problem:

Mark and I both work in retail, and rarely do we have to wake up at the same time. He has his alarm clock and I have mine.

I am a pretty light sleeper. Once my alarm goes off I either 1) turn it off and immediately get out of bed; or 2) reset the alarm for 15-20 minutes later (the latest I can get away with) and when the alarm goes off the second time, I turn it off and get up. My alarm clock never goes off more than twice and only beeps 3-4 times max before I turn it off. This is the case regardless of whether Mark is sleeping next to me or not.

Mark, on the other hand, is a snoozer. He will keep pushing the snooze button repeatedly, and it goes off every three minutes or something. Even worse, because he's a heavy sleeper, he puts it on the SUPER SONIC alarm setting, which scares the freaking bejesus out of me every time it goes off. (He has the "world's loudest alarm clock" and I can vouch that it is the loudest damn thing I have ever heard. It's at least as loud as our smoke detector, and that's LOUD!) Sometimes he'll do this alarm-goes-off-every-three-minutes routine for 20 minutes or more.

He does this even when I am still trying to sleep because I start work later than he does.

Mark is a wonderful man, but this is something he does that I find incredibly insensitive. I have asked him before not to do it -- that I would rather he reset his alarm for 15-20 minutes later so it doesn't keep me awake. His response is, "I've been doing this my whole life; you can't expect me to just stop this habit now!" I respond to that by reminding him that marriage is about compromise.

I often will gently try to encourage him to get out of bed, and this causes him to leave in a huff because I haven't let him "sleep in". What's so hard about doing resetting the alarm!?! *I* do it!!!

This really pisses me off and I don't know what to do about it.

There's no point in suggesting I wear earplugs because I already do: To block out Mark's snoring. I remind him that I didn't use to wear earplugs before I married him, so that's MY way of compromising -- why can't HE compromise?! The earplugs I have are the strongest ones around that fit my ears and are comfortable. There's also no point in suggesting that I sleep in a different bedroom -- we only have one!

Ok, rant over. Feel free to make suggestions and/or post your own alarm clock etiquette rantings...

~ Jenney
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Alarm Clock Etiquette

Separate rooms?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:02 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Separate rooms?
I guess you missed the second-to-last sentence in my post: We only have one bedroom.

And I shouldn't have to sleep on the couch just because he's deciding to be insensitive. Even if I did, I could still hear his alarm clock anyway -- you can hear it from outside, in fact!

~ Jenney
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I guess you missed the second-to-last sentence in my post: We only have one bedroom.

And I shouldn't have to sleep on the couch just because he's deciding to be insensitive. Even if I did, I could still hear his alarm clock anyway -- you can hear it from outside, in fact!

~ Jenney
Sense of humor dear, sense of humor!!

Why not get him a quieter alarm? Thankfully, my farbetterhalf and I are both snoozers! or I'd have taken a bat to it long ago
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that this will be a combination of a much-needed rant and an attempt to get some suggestions on how to fix this.

Ok, here's the problem:

Mark and I both work in retail, and rarely do we have to wake up at the same time. He has his alarm clock and I have mine.

I am a pretty light sleeper. Once my alarm goes off I either 1) turn it off and immediately get out of bed; or 2) reset the alarm for 15-20 minutes later (the latest I can get away with) and when the alarm goes off the second time, I turn it off and get up. My alarm clock never goes off more than twice and only beeps 3-4 times max before I turn it off. This is the case regardless of whether Mark is sleeping next to me or not.

Mark, on the other hand, is a snoozer. He will keep pushing the snooze button repeatedly, and it goes off every three minutes or something. Even worse, because he's a heavy sleeper, he puts it on the SUPER SONIC alarm setting, which scares the freaking bejesus out of me every time it goes off. (He has the "world's loudest alarm clock" and I can vouch that it is the loudest damn thing I have ever heard. It's at least as loud as our smoke detector, and that's LOUD!) Sometimes he'll do this alarm-goes-off-every-three-minutes routine for 20 minutes or more.

He does this even when I am still trying to sleep because I start work later than he does.

Mark is a wonderful man, but this is something he does that I find incredibly insensitive. I have asked him before not to do it -- that I would rather he reset his alarm for 15-20 minutes later so it doesn't keep me awake. His response is, "I've been doing this my whole life; you can't expect me to just stop this habit now!" I respond to that by reminding him that marriage is about compromise.

I often will gently try to encourage him to get out of bed, and this causes him to leave in a huff because I haven't let him "sleep in". What's so hard about doing resetting the alarm!?! *I* do it!!!

This really pisses me off and I don't know what to do about it.

There's no point in suggesting I wear earplugs because I already do: To block out Mark's snoring. I remind him that I didn't use to wear earplugs before I married him, so that's MY way of compromising -- why can't HE compromise?! The earplugs I have are the strongest ones around that fit my ears and are comfortable. There's also no point in suggesting that I sleep in a different bedroom -- we only have one!

Ok, rant over. Feel free to make suggestions and/or post your own alarm clock etiquette rantings...

~ Jenney
Sounds like Mark has a sleeping problem.

Get him a CPAP machine and he will sleep soundly and be ready to get up first time the alarm sounds.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:26 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenney,

You're right, he is incredibly insensitive. Does he wake up while your alarm clock is going off, does that disturb his rest? Maybe a compromise is already going on.

If he wont compromise about the clock then throw his clock out and replace it with a quieter one. Like most men he will be too fricking idle to do much about a fait accompli.

Perhaps he might see his doctor re the snoring too as it could be due to something that could be remedied.

Good luck (nb having a pissed off day with my husband lol)
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wait until he's asleep then turn the bloody thing off.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:03 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Jenney -

Tomorrow morning when the same thing happens again. Turn over and grab his scrotum and slowly twist his ballsack while telling him that unless he stops being an inconsiderate selfish f--kbag, he'll be screaming for his mummy every morning or until you twist them off. Which ever happens first. See which he prefers.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:14 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Jenney -

Tomorrow morning when the same thing happens again. Turn over and grab his scrotum and slowly twist his ballsack while telling him that unless he stops being an inconsiderate selfish f--kbag, he'll be screaming for his mummy every morning or until you twist them off. Which ever happens first. See which he prefers.
Pmsl
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:25 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

The blokes a selfish pillock divorce him.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

By a BOSE alarm clock that slowly raises the volume of a radio station - it's so much nicer.

Give it to him as a gift (for his birthday, or just because he's a nice guy).

If you don't see it on your bedside table by 9pm you can play the "You don't love me" guilt trip.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:33 pm
Junior Showtime

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
By a BOSE alarm clock that slowly raises the volume of a radio station - it's so much nicer.

Give it to him as a gift (for his birthday, or just because he's a nice guy).

If you don't see it on your bedside table by 9pm you can play the "You don't love me" guilt trip.
...if the guilt trip thing doesn't work (and it won't if compromise hasnt so far) plan B - Sarah's plan which I am pretty in love with now lol
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

... Sometimes he'll do this alarm-goes-off-every-three-minutes routine for 20 minutes or more....

~ Jenney
Interesting...

I have three alarm clocks, set (and positioned) as follows:

Phase 1, Small alarm clock with 4 minute snooze set to go off at 6:50am
Phase 2, Bell alarm clock on the dresser next to the bed set to go off at 7:30am
Phase 3, Emergency backup alarm clock on the other side of the room set to go off at 7:40am.

40 minutes of pressing the snooze button and I get woken up by alarm clock 2 :scared: (positioned to get me out of bed). Usually I get back into bed and go back to alarm clock 1 . If I'm still in bed 10 minutes later (having still been pressing the snooze every 4 minutes) alarm clock 3 goes off and I have to get completely out of bed and cross the room to turn it off . That usually gets me up!

(Although some mornings I'm still in bed at 8:20am with the snooze alarm having been going off every 4 minutes for well over an hour, good thing I have flexible work hours!)

I'm not really what you would call a morning person!

Thankfully, the wife isn't a morning person either and needs as many alarms to get her up as well!!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Buy him one of these and turn off the sound
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Interesting...

I have three alarm clocks, set (and positioned) as follows:

Phase 1, Small alarm clock with 4 minute snooze set to go off at 6:50am
Phase 2, Bell alarm clock on the dresser next to the bed set to go off at 7:30am
Phase 3, Emergency backup alarm clock on the other side of the room set to go off at 7:40am.

40 minutes of pressing the snooze button and I get woken up by alarm clock 2 :scared: (positioned to get me out of bed). Usually I get back into bed and go back to alarm clock 1 . If I'm still in bed 10 minutes later (having still been pressing the snooze every 4 minutes) alarm clock 3 goes off and I have to get completely out of bed and cross the room to turn it off . That usually gets me up!

(Although some mornings I'm still in bed at 8:20am with the snooze alarm having been going off every 4 minutes for well over an hour, good thing I have flexible work hours!)

I'm not really what you would call a morning person!

Thankfully, the wife isn't a morning person either and needs as many alarms to get her up as well!!
I'm not a morning person either. Hubby usually wakes me up with a cuppa as he leaves for work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.