Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

airport security stealing from suitcases

airport security stealing from suitcases

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:11 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default airport security stealing from suitcases

I was wondering about peoples experiences of airport security as they are now allowed to rifle your luggage at will.
My experience over the last month is

1. My mother came over on the 1st November from Manchester airport to Tampa Via Newark on Continental. They brought various food items including 6 multipacks of cadburys flakes one of these was stolen. there was a notice inside the case that it had been searched.

2. My wifes sister arrived yesterday from Manchester Airport to Tampa via Miami on American Airlines. They too brought various items. the items stolen from there cases were chocolate liquors , chocolate selection boxes and a 12 pack of andrex toilet rolls. there was also a note saying the case had been searched in America.

It is quite comical that they have the cheek to photograph and fingerprint passengers when the real crooks are in the security departments

It would be interesting to see if this is rife or have we just been unlucky?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Marmitemaniac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: airport security stealing from suitcases

Originally Posted by vegas
I was wondering about peoples experiences of airport security as they are now allowed to rifle your luggage at will.

1. My mother came over on the 1st November from Manchester airport to Tampa Via Newark on Continental. They brought various food items including 6 multipacks of cadburys flakes one of these was stolen. there was a notice inside the case that it had been searched.

2. My wifes sister arrived yesterday from Manchester Airport to Tampa via Miami on American Airlines. They too brought various items. the items stolen from there cases were chocolate liquors , chocolate selection boxes and a 12 pack of andrex toilet rolls. there was also a note saying the case had been searched in America.

It is quite comical that they have the cheek to photograph and fingerprint passengers when the real crooks are in the security departments

A 12 pack of Andrex :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:27 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmitemaniac
A 12 pack of Andrex :scared:
There just a load of shits anyway so its quite apt
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:59 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere between Dallas and Manchester last week, someone light-fingered tw@t helped themselves to 5 cartons of Regal from my suitcase.

AFAIK you are allowed to put ty-wraps on your case and security will cut them off and replace them if needed. That way in the baggage hall if your original ty-wrap isn't on your bag, you can examine the contents before you leave and make a report at the baggage counter.

-
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas

It's a bugger when the so called security steal/help themselves to contemts of passengers checked in luggage.

The only legal recourse is to follow the claim instructions that, I think, may appear on the card that was inserted into your luggage.

I'm more concerned about valuables such as jewelry and electronics being stolen. For that reason, I carry such valuables in my hand luggage, not my checked in luggage.

Slightly OT: why do you need British loo roll? I mean I brought back one single roll from the UK last Crimbo but it was special. It was a Christmas present (yes, it was really!) imprinted with a penguin design. It won't be used of course!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It's a bugger when the so called security steal/help themselves to contemts of passengers checked in luggage.

The only legal recourse is to follow the claim instructions that, I think, may appear on the card that was inserted into your luggage.

I'm more concerned about valuables such as jewelry and electronics being stolen. For that reason, I carry such valuables in my hand luggage, not my checked in luggage.

Slightly OT: why do you need British loo roll? I mean I brought back one single roll from the UK last Crimbo but it was special. It was a Christmas present (yes, it was really!) imprinted with a penguin design. It won't be used of course!

NC Penguin
What if you HAVE to check-in valuables though? I have two guitars to take and I've seen what the luggage monkeys do to the baggage

I've got a couple of decent flight cases and I'm going to "disguise" them as plain boxes but I'm nervous, it has to be said ...
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
What if you HAVE to check-in valuables though? I have two guitars to take and I've seen what the luggage monkeys do to the baggage
hardly Jimmy Hendrix though are you, I think you'll be alright.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
hardly Jimmy Hendrix though are you, I think you'll be alright.
Well, I'm alive, it's a step in the right direction

And "Jimi", please.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple of decent flight cases and I'm going to "disguise" them as plain boxes but I'm nervous, it has to be said ...
My suggestion would be:

insure the items
pack them really well
and don't forget to mark the items fragile in big red letters

Then, cross your fingers and hope for the best...
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

My suggestion would be:

insure the items
pack them really well
and don't forget to mark the items fragile in big red letters

Then, cross your fingers and hope for the best...
Aye, it think that's all you can do. Ta for the reminder about marking them "Fragile", just the sort of thing I'll forget.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:59 pm
Vegas Baby

NC Penguin
the wife likes coloured loo roll and you can only get white in the states
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:01 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

...and don't forget to mark the items fragile in big red letters
Aye, that'll ensure that they drop-kick the shit out of it! When I had my PC shipped from the UK, even though it was marked as fragile in nice bold letters, it arrived with the frame completely bent and twisted...still worked though, just looked odd!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by syllk
Aye, that'll ensure that they drop-kick the shit out of it! When I had my PC shipped from the UK, even though it was marked as fragile in nice bold letters, it arrived with the frame completely bent and twisted...still worked though, just looked odd!
Thanks syllk, I feel better now
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:07 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks syllk, I feel better now
Hehe, nah you'll be fine...just do as NC Penguin said and insure the valuable stuff.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:09 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Somewhere between Dallas and Manchester last week, someone light-fingered tw@t helped themselves to 5 cartons of Regal from my suitcase.

AFAIK you are allowed to put ty-wraps on your case and security will cut them off and replace them if needed. That way in the baggage hall if your original ty-wrap isn't on your bag, you can examine the contents before you leave and make a report at the baggage counter.

-
Uh-huh... and you're going to report those 5 cartons of Regal as being stolen when you're only allowed to bring in one carton?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.