Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Airport Security

Airport Security

Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:47 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airport Security

Originally Posted by markonline1
I know!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry. On re-reading your post I see that you wrote customs, but you didn't know the other bits, so I'm happy to have at least been able to answer those parts. It's very unusual for customs to want to open your bag in your absence - a prime example would be a delayed bag that enters the US separately from you. I had that happen to me a few months ago, and the bag arrived at my doorstep with TSA locks intact and zip wrenched open all the way round.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I have ever had a bag opened by customs was decades ago at Manchester Airport. My husband had been working in Amsterdam for a year. I travelled there most Friday afternoons...flying back early Monday morning. I don't travel light so always had a large suitcase. As he opened my case...I remember the customs officer saying 'you take all this for a weekend?' I laughed and told him he sounded just like my husband. He closed my case without rooting through it looking for diamonds or drugs.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm sorry. On re-reading your post I see that you wrote customs, but you didn't know the other bits, so I'm happy to have at least been able to answer those parts. It's very unusual for customs to want to open your bag in your absence - a prime example would be a delayed bag that enters the US separately from you. I had that happen to me a few months ago, and the bag arrived at my doorstep with TSA locks intact and zip wrenched open all the way round.
I've had a couple of times where I found a slip in my suitcase stating that the bag had been opened. That was a few years ago. I have also had my suitcase searched prior to check-in and also at customs.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I've had a couple of times where I found a slip in my suitcase stating that the bag had been opened. ....
By Customs or the TSA? ..... Tonrob was making a distinction between the two.
.... I have also had my suitcase searched prior to check-in .....
"Before check-in"? ..... Where did that happen? Were you stopped in the car park?

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 13th 2016 at 6:33 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Before check-in"? ..... Where did that happen? Were you stopped in the car park?
I've had that exactly once at Heathrow before a flight to the USA. 2003 or so? I suspect the 'random' selection triggered on my and my companions scruffiness -- before we'd even got into the frequent flyer checkin line (!)
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was TSA , but it's a long time ago and I can't rememeber.

I had a random search at Heathrow while standing in line to check in, and New Orleans prior to checking my luggage. This was after 911.

I also took 2 1/2 hours to board a plane while they checked everyone's carry on prior to getting on the plane. This was October 2001.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I fly into SFO regularly, domestic and international and it's one of the more efficient airports I've been to, even during peak hours. The OP will more than likely be fine with a 1.5 hour transit time.

Security is nowhere near as thorough as you are used to in the UK and Europe.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived at SFO last year the small lock on my suitcase was missing, and there was a note inside saying that it had been searched. There's no compensation for breaking your lock by the way- I asked. But it shouldn't delay you if your suitcase gets searched- my suitcase came the same time as the others.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

In some places you have to pass through security to enter the airport terminal. I've has my suitcase searched entering the building in Chennai.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:53 pm
Septic Sprout

That's the TSA. Not uncommon.