Reload this Page >

Aircraft Engineering

Aircraft Engineering

Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Coopapalooza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aircraft Engineering

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
What came out of that one is that without the US certifications you are barely allowed to look at an aircraft, let alone go near one. You'll definitely need those certs if you want to work in the US and I'm guessing that an employer might pay for them if they transfer you. Definitely research the cost, even though they might be easy for you to pass, they're probably rather expensive to pass...
Yup, that's something I can confirm. I'm in the process now of trying to get some work on "N" registered aircraft but i'd have more luck finding rocking horse poo!! Pateience seems to be the name of the game. It'll all come together with a bit of luck and a few favours being called in hopefully
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The L visa might be your best way around it. Don't forget about aircraft manufacturers too. Maybe try getting a job with Boeing in UK then transfer to Charleston, SC. They are building the Dreamliner there. I'm in the business but on the pilot side.

It's something I'm actively looking in to. Boeing have my CV and I am registered on their careers site. I'm type-rated on 737 classics and New Gen's and I'm hoping they end up re-engineing (sp?) the airframe rather than create a whole new aircraft. Would certainly make my life easier
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coopapalooza
Yup, that's something I can confirm. I'm in the process now of trying to get some work on "N" registered aircraft but i'd have more luck finding rocking horse poo!! Pateience seems to be the name of the game. It'll all come together with a bit of luck and a few favours being called in hopefully
For N regs in UK, try looking offshore, like Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. I believe quite a few bizjet operators run N reg trust aircraft there. There used to be a company called Cooper Aerial Survey and they had a load of N reg turbine Aero Commanders. Dunno if they still exist however.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Where would the US government stand on coming in under the VWP and working [I]unpaid[I] to gain enough experience to apply for the A&P license?

Is on the Job training recognised by the FAA or does it have to be paid work you think?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Where would the US government stand on coming in under the VWP and working [I]unpaid[I] to gain enough experience to apply for the A&P license?

Is on the Job training recognised by the FAA or does it have to be paid work you think?
No work, paid or unpaid, is allowed under VWP.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

That isn't allowed and you'd probably be sent back on the next flight.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Interesting. So an H1-B visa covers you for paid work but not voluntary? Could it be classed as seasonal then under an H2B visa?

I would have thought voluntary non-paid on the job experience would be allowed?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting. So an H1-B visa covers you for paid work but not voluntary? Could it be classed as seasonal then under an H2B visa?

I would have thought voluntary non-paid on the job experience would be allowed?
You asked about visa waiver not H1-B.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I'm just trying to strike through the options as I see them.

The VWP is a no-no. That's essentially for holidays only right?

The H1-B is a long term visa that is probably more than what I need initially.

The H2-B is non-agricultural seasonal work which I could maybe get under by claiming the travel seasons (summer/thanksgiving/christmas or new year)

Am I right up to this point? Three or four months would do it as far as experience is concerned. after that I'd head back to the UK, sit my FAA exams and then i can start looking for jobs/applying for the H1B visa as I'd be qualified to work both sides of the atlantic.

Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Three or four months would do it as far as experience is concerned. after that I'd head back to the UK, sit my FAA exams and then i can start looking for jobs/applying for the H1B visa as I'd be qualified to work both sides of the atlantic.
You don't apply for that. A company who is willing to hire you does.

I asked our A&P mechanic this morning about this. It seems there's no requirement for the work to be paid so yes unpaid would work. We think so long as the work could be verified it would be valid.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to check with the FAA field office in UK (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...s/ifo/lon_ifo/) because you may be able to do an abridged A&P course (oral & practicals) based on your existing CAA/JAA qualifications and experience. You would likely qualify for a student visa as well (M1 visa I'd guess?).
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brit3964
If you haven't done so already, you might want to check with the FAA field office in UK (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...s/ifo/lon_ifo/) because you may be able to do an abridged A&P course (oral & practicals) based on your existing CAA/JAA qualifications and experience. You would likely qualify for a student visa as well (M1 visa I'd guess?).
That's very helpful. Thanks very much!! I was looking into it quite deeply yesterday and it's a big case of chicken and egg. Not impossible but tricky to have everything come together. I've been assured from a guy who's been in the industry for 30 years and who holds dual citizenship that having both the European license and FAA license makes you a solid gold commodity in the US.

Thankfully aircraft legislation is still very territorial so it's a good thing to be essentially a "universal" engineer/mechanic
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

It's the same with pilot qualifications. The ideal is to be dual qualified however I don't want to have to deal with the JAA/CAA! The FAA is enough for me. The hardest bit is probably getting dual nationality unless you're lucky enough to be born into it. I'm both a UKC & a USC now but it took years. Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend is a teacher (primary school) and I think she's got more chance than me of getting in!
If that's the case, you've got no chance.

H2 won't really be a goer, this isn't seasonal work. Possibly a J1 internship, but you probably need to graduate from uni to have a more realistic option of this route I'd imagine.

Don't discount Boston as a location...but a lot of those jobs require security clearance, which unless you've got US citizenship or the very least a greencard, is very unlikely. I don't know about in the other locations you listed though.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

I think it'll have to be an H1 visa ultimately. Try and get a job with a UK company that has UK-US transfers. I will be getting my US qualifications over the next couple of years so there's loads of time. I'm only 28 so am in no rush!!