Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Air travel to USA with a young child

Air travel to USA with a young child

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Modus Operandi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air travel to USA with a young child

Hi all,firstly this is my first time posting on this site.
I used to live in the States,but have been back in the UK a while and am now married and have an 11 month old baby.
We would like to visit some friends in the States in the next month or two,for a two week stay,but are worried about the 6 hour time difference in that it may affect our baby's sleep pattern.

Does anyone on here have experience of the above,i.e did they find it affected their child's sleep times and was it hard to get them to adjust?

Our concern is that the baby won't adjust,and all we will do is mess up his routines both when we get there,and when we return.

Any advice/experiences appreciated.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air travel to USA with a young child

Originally Posted by Modus Operandi
Hi all,firstly this is my first time posting on this site.
I used to live in the States,but have been back in the UK a while and am now married and have an 11 month old baby.
We would like to visit some friends in the States in the next month or two,for a two week stay,but are worried about the 6 hour time difference in that it may affect our baby's sleep pattern.

Does anyone on here have experience of the above,i.e did they find it affected their child's sleep times and was it hard to get them to adjust?

Our concern is that the baby won't adjust,and all we will do is mess up his routines both when we get there,and when we return.

Any advice/experiences appreciated.
It may or may not........ impossible to predict.

But do you really want to put your life on hold for fear of messing up your baby's sleep patterns? Those are so unpredictable at the best of times...

Elvira
(who got the T-shirt... )
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It's true. Even moving to a new house affects their sleep patterns for a while.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Modus Operandi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
It's true. Even moving to a new house affects their sleep patterns for a while.

We know that,we just moved It did not affect him whatsoever.

It's the 6 hour difference we are thinking about;we are fortunate in that he is a very predictable sleeper for one so young.(which is most of the time like his Dad!)

Last edited by Modus Operandi; Jun 23rd 2007 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Modus Operandi
We know that,we just moved It did not affect him whatsoever.

It's the 6 hour difference we are thinking about;we are fortunate in that he is a very predictable sleeper for one so young.(which is most of the time like his Dad!)

Let me guess. This is your first baby
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

My son and daughter-in-law just visited me here in Florida from the UK (5 hour time difference) They brought my 10 month old grandson and they too were concerned how the time difference would affect his sleep pattern. Turned out to be no problem at all. They arrived at 2pm local time, which was 7pm to them, and baby's bedtime. But the activity and everything going on around him actually kept him awake and alert, and we managed to keep him awake until around 9pm local time then put him to bed. He slept soundly through the night and awoke the next morning happy and playful.

However, different story going back to the UK. He was fine on the overnight plane journey home, slept most of the time. But they said it took him a couple of days to get back into his UK routine.

I think I read somewhere that travelling East to West is always easier than travelling West to East, something about jetlag being worse West to East.

Just wanted to say I can relate to your concerns, my daughter-in-law fretted for ages prior to bringing our baby transatlantic, but it all worked out just fine.

Hope you have a great trip
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've always found 'mind over matter' worked for me...maybe it was just luck. I'd be determined my baby would be no trouble and settle down quickly...she wasn't and she did.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 24th 2007 at 3:32 am.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
My son and daughter-in-law just visited me here in Florida from the UK (5 hour time difference) They brought my 10 month old grandson and they too were concerned how the time difference would affect his sleep pattern. Turned out to be no problem at all. They arrived at 2pm local time, which was 7pm to them, and baby's bedtime. But the activity and everything going on around him actually kept him awake and alert, and we managed to keep him awake until around 9pm local time then put him to bed. He slept soundly through the night and awoke the next morning happy and playful.

However, different story going back to the UK. He was fine on the overnight plane journey home, slept most of the time. But they said it took him a couple of days to get back into his UK routine.

I think I read somewhere that travelling East to West is always easier than travelling West to East, something about jetlag being worse West to East.

Just wanted to say I can relate to your concerns, my daughter-in-law fretted for ages prior to bringing our baby transatlantic, but it all worked out just fine.

Hope you have a great trip
Sounds like me, but I am a few months older.

Mothers Little Helper worked fine when flying across country, not a lot of difference.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

We/I took my eldest daughter from the US to UK and back when she was 2 months, 8 months, 15 months and 2 years and never had any real problems. We are hoping to go back this Oct with her (now 3) and my youngest daughter who will be 19 months then.

Ash
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Helpful hint- I know this is costs a little more but I highly recommend getting baby his/her own seat not only safer but gives baby their own room... less stress all round.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't get tied to a routine - too restricting. Reax and enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:17 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've always found 'mind over matter' worked for me...maybe it was just luck. I'd be determined my baby would be no trouble and settle down quickly...she wasn't and she did.
Agree baby picks up a lot from your body language.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:19 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Agree baby picks up a lot from your body language.
Not just body language but mental serenity.

I would have a large Bloody Mary, which made me very calm.

I can confirm they (all 3 of them) would pick up on my serenity...
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not just body language but mental serenity.

I would have a large Bloody Mary, which made me very calm.

I can confirm they (all 3 of them) would pick up on my serenity...
Is that a fancy way to say you were p*ssed?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:23 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that a fancy way to say you were p*ssed?
Just taking the edge off the pain and induce that all important state of serenity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.