Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Air India from JFK to LHR

Air India from JFK to LHR

Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough
Default Air India from JFK to LHR

Anyone flown this route before?
My missus and our 2 kids are going back to the UK for a month in June and this seems like the most economical way of getting them back.
But is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air India from JFK to LHR

Originally Posted by Dodgykeeps
My missus and our 2 kids are going back to the UK for a month in June and this seems like the most economical way of getting them back.

Cheers

Paul

my gf is a usc and her parents flew air india back to chicago from london when they came to visit us last year...they said it was fine, although the food served is indian food...not sure I'd want a curry on an 8 hour flight...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Paul
I don't know what aircraft they use on this route now....

I've heard the new 777's of Air India are very nice.

They're 747's are getting on in age and might leave a lot to be desired.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:25 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

My SO used them a couple of times. The planes were a bit shagged out (but not dangerous or anything - so just like AA in other words), but she said the food was the best she'd ever had on a plane. Check in in good time - everyone's got some wacky visa and has sixteen suitcases. It's terminal 2 or 3 in London - one of the really tired ones.

What's the price difference? If it's $5 each extra for Virgin Atlantic, I'd go VA. If it's $100 each, I'd stick with it.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

What's the price difference? If it's $5 each extra for Virgin Atlantic, I'd go VA. If it's $100 each, I'd stick with it.
For the three of them, the saving is going to be about $1000!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, yes. I used that route in June 2006 to go back for a funeral at short notice. The plane (747) wasn’t desperately clean and was coming apart at the seams in some parts of the cabin. And the cabin service was poor. BUT it cost me almost $450 less than the cheapest practical alternative I could find, so I wasn’t complaining (although I overheard several other passengers say there were going to). Other stuff to bear in mind is that JFK isn’t the nicest airport in the developed world and in my experience traffic to and from there is always awful.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

For the three of them, the saving is going to be about $1000!
I have no idea why you started this thread.
book the bloody tickets.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
book the bloody tickets.
I'd heard a few bad things about Air India, although it was more actually travelling to India. Also, as I'm not going I didn't want to inflict anything too bad on my family.

Sounds like I'll be booking some flights today!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:51 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

How bad would it actually have to be before I'd pay a $1000 premium to go with someone else? I'd fly in a cargo plane standing up for that money.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Going back many year.. bangladesh air was the very worst
I think lunch was cooked in the aisles on an open pit and
half the passengers went back on the same flight..

It was an ex TWA plane and terrified everyone at Heathrow..
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
How bad would it actually have to be before I'd pay a $1000 premium to go with someone else? I'd fly in a cargo plane standing up for that money.
There were other options - like flying Aer Fungus to Dublin and then catching a Ryanair flight over (yes, and I was worried about Air India!!) which wouldn't have been about $500 more - the $1000 was when compared with Virgin.

If you have to put up with my 5 year old son on an 8 hour flight, you'd want the flight to be fairly reasonable as well!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:52 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

I flew this LHR to Chicago O'Hare air india and it was fine. the films are in urdu which can get kinda boring (unless you understand urdu). The curry was good.

flying toronto to Birningham International (on the way to Dubai) is a different matter entirely.Sniffer dogs, full carry-on luggage checks, ... horrible!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Paul
Two different friends of ours, on 2 diff trips flew to France on Air India, both said, people were smoking everwhere on the plane & worst flight ever. That was 5 or so years ago.
I would not bother, thats just me. We have Indian friends, they fly BA, Virgin or AA.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

latempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
book the bloody tickets.
.... then you obviously don't have kids!!! This is a great question from anyone flying on their own with young children on a airline you haven't used before!

I won't even fly BA back to the UK now with their seating policy and problems I have had travelling with young kids (they kept spliting us all up even though we paid extra for premium economy so my 3 year old was sitting on his own!). It makes a huge difference not just to the parents but to every passenger on the plane to make sure the kids are happy!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice
Smile Re: Air India from JFK to LHR

We flew this about a year ago, and it was fine. Plane was a bit ropey (747) but the wings stayed on, etc!

In fact we found it great as we didn't have to queue for hours as with other airlines.Flying back the plane was empty which is unheard of! About 20 or 30 of us on board a 747......... loads of room to kip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.