Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Air conditioning?

Air conditioning?

Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Default Re: Air conditioning?

Originally Posted by sile
I must say, I am surprised when I watch Sky News and they interview people about the heat, that no one ever mentions buying an air conditioner! They just talk about how hot they are! I realize not everyone can afford them, but I would think there would be a run on them in the stores. No mention of that happening. I can tell you if I were there right now, at least one of my rooms would have a/c!
ditto!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:03 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Air conditioning?

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I hope a/c is something we never have to worry about up in Scotland. I get pretty sick when I get overheated. At a minimum, I'm sure we'll buy some kind of fan to help the few warmish days. I'd love keeping the windows open all the time, if only they had screens on them to keep the bugs out (and our cats in)! In the past, we were only able to crack the windows a little, so our cats wouldn't jump out the 4-storey window. The lack of screens is one of those things that I just don't get about UK homes.
Well over here in Switzerland there aren't any screens either (although some of the expats on our condo from Minnesota have some kind of curtain at their windows which is to repel flies. I don't know where they got them from but it's definitely not the norm here. We are located between a farm (lots of cows...they attract flies) and a large lake, but fortunately no mozzies. We don't get that many flies coming in - they tend to fly outside again but I have a can of fly spray just in case - but we are getting spiders on the balcony though....

My friends in Grenoble, France don't have insect screens. I don't think any properties in Europe typically have insect screens at the windows - over the years we've had holidays in various parts of Greece, Spain, Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland and the UK and I honestly can't ever recall seeing insect screens. Air-con is only usually to be found in some (not all) shops, hospitals/clinics and hotels and not in people's homes. In Switzerland most offices don't have air-con - they're not allowed to unless it is to prevent sensitive electronic equipment from overheating. Otherwise fans are used to keep cool. I think it's for environmental reasons - it can't be limited just for cost reasons as many Swiss are very wealthy indeed.

However.....in southern Europe they do still tend to have an afternoon 'siesta'/rest period in the hottest part of the day and keep the rooms cooler by closing their blinds or shutters. Don't forget that electricity can be very high (especially if air-con is operating) and I guess in some parts of Europe the supply can be patchy or high demand would cause a strain on supply. At our house in New Jersey there are frequent 'brown-outs' on hot days as the electricity company can't cope with the high demand with everyone's air-cons running and the power can go out for *hours*.

At all the places we lived in in Singapore, not one of them had insect screens, no-one I knew had them - even at the lovely colonial black & white houses (although they did get snakes! ). Despite the equatorial climate we rarely got flying insects coming through the windows, although sometimes we got the odd flying cockroach which used to freak me out lol!

It's a pretty hot 33c right now - I went to the municipal pool this morning but now I'm off across the street to read my book and have another swim in the lake which currently has a temp of 22c/74f

Aha! I've just been looking on the Amazon UK site and you can get (temp) insect mesh screens:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ns+for+windows

Last edited by Englishmum; Jul 25th 2013 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I wondered the same thing given that UK temps seem to be nudging the 30's.

Mind you, it's not hot for nearly so long in the UK as it is here in Aus.

For those in the UK, as well as air con use, does it cool down at night after a 30 c day or does it stay hot all night?
It's not hot enough for long enough to need air-con, however we do have a fan, cools down at night but has still been quite warm, so we sleep with the windows in the living room open, and the doors between the living room and bedroom open as well. Apparently trying to buy a room fan this last 10 days has been difficult as most shops seem to have sold out.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Jam Jun has a brilliant futureJam Jun has a brilliant futureJam Jun has a brilliant futureJam Jun has a brilliant futureJam Jun has a brilliant futureJam Jun has a brilliant future

Generally air conditioning is a must for homes specially in areas where it is warm most of the time. There are also states which have more months of warm weather than the cold and many of the residential building have at least one equipment of such type.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jam Jun
Generally air conditioning is a must for homes specially in areas where it is warm most of the time. There are also states which have more months of warm weather than the cold and many of the residential building have at least one equipment of such type.
Profound!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 4:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but we're not talking about the states, but the UK.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 26th 2013 at 9:13 pm. Reason: New member...please be nice :)
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Who da thunk it
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:53 am
Bean Counter

jocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the rough

Relax Jam Jun - that's just their way of saying welcome little one...we love you
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jocksternhcle
Relax Jam Jun - that's just their way of saying welcome little one...we love you
Glad you said that Jock. It might not have met with the approval of some, but it was a first post engendering a sarcastic response.

Surely we like lurkers (or possible lurkers?) to post? Nice welcome eh?
I hope it wasn't the first and last post.

Jam Jun: as you can see it takes all sorts to make up a discussion forum. Don't let two tarrogant wats put you off.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:22 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Glad you said that Jock. It might not have met with the approval of some, but it was a first post engendering a sarcastic response.

Surely we like lurkers (or possible lurkers?) to post? Nice welcome eh?
I hope it wasn't the first and last post.

Jam Jun: as you can see it takes all sorts to make up a discussion forum. Don't let two tarrogant wats put you off.
A poster joining a forum will usually follow the suggestions of posting in the 'Welcome Inn' first, or at least give people some idea of where he/she is etc by their profile. They will usually read the posts and reply in a manner helpful to the thread, not jump in with both feet with a comment that is off topic for the threaad. The OP was asking about air con in the UK, I presume they are not interested in the fact that in some US states it is essential.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:30 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of relatively little things I'm looking forward to back in the UK are that you don't have to have an air-conditioner and you can open the windows and there are no screens.

I hate the sound of air conditioners and I always feel shut in behind screens.

(Would probably buy a fan though if it's pushing 33 degrees.)
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A poster joining a forum will usually follow the suggestions of posting in the 'Welcome Inn' first, or at least give people some idea of where he/she is etc by their profile. They will usually read the posts and reply in a manner helpful to the thread, not jump in with both feet with a comment that is off topic for the threaad. The OP was asking about air con in the UK, I presume they are not interested in the fact that in some US states it is essential.
'A poster' within forum rules can do as they damn well please!

I have checked the forum rules and made a private enquiry on this general principle. Frankly I care little what YOU think a poster should do!

Hells bells! the unnecessary comments came from you and Pulaski! Fwiw (and it isn't worth a lot), this elitism goes on on most forums, but it has no basis in fact. There are no ranking systems on any discussion forums when it comes to the tenet of the post.

You'd think this first timer came in here and kicked the sheet out of other posters; they did not. Stop justifying a/your post that was totally uncalled for!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brissybee
A couple of relatively little things I'm looking forward to back in the UK are that you don't have to have an air-conditioner and you can open the windows and there are no screens.

I hate the sound of air conditioners and I always feel shut in behind screens.

(Would probably buy a fan though if it's pushing 33 degrees.)
I have aircon here (Aus), and it's a real lifesaver at times, but by far a desk fan up close and personal in lounge/bedroom/kitchen is the real bonus!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Buckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant future

You should add "is a must for Americans". We almost never have our AC on because I hate it. Once in while before we go to bed when it is really hot.

Not to forget, back in Europe we have solid built houses
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
'A poster' within forum rules can do as they damn well please! ...
Indeed we can, and Robin, Mike, and did just that, and without getting apoplectic about it.

Now calm down before you rupture something and get your toys back in the pram!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.