British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Air conditioning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/air-conditioning-313618/)

Ray Jul 13th 2005 4:45 am

Air conditioning
 
Starting in January 2006 the DOE will enforce a 13 seasonal energy efficiency rating or “SEER� standard for residential central air conditioners. This standard, which will apply to central air conditioners increases by 30 percent the SEER standard that applies to models sold today.
Although more efficient will increase the cost of an AC system by at least $1,000. But in theory be cheaper to run ... Units may be a lot larger in size...

Lion in Winter Jul 13th 2005 12:11 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Ray
Starting in January 2006 the DOE will enforce a 13 seasonal energy efficiency rating or “SEER� standard for residential central air conditioners. This standard, which will apply to central air conditioners increases by 30 percent the SEER standard that applies to models sold today.
Although more efficient will increase the cost of an AC system by at least $1,000. But in theory be cheaper to run ... Units may be a lot larger in size...

Mountisland? Is that you?

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 12:53 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Mountisland? Is that you?

<Snort>

I did wonder. Do you think he's feeling himself?

Ray Jul 13th 2005 1:05 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Mountisland? Is that you?

FFS.. I just thought it was interesting .. will make a big difference to Floridians who's whole way of life is dependant on the A/C unit ...

Lion in Winter Jul 13th 2005 1:07 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS.. I just thought it was interesting .. will make a big difference to Floridians who's whole way of life is dependant on the A/C unit ...

My heart bleeds - after all those jokes when I'm in the depths of a Chicago winter. Oh yes, my heart bleeds.

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 1:07 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS.. I just thought it was interesting .. will make a big difference to Floridians who's whole way of life is dependant on the A/C unit ...


This is actually a fair point...life down here without AC would be horrific to say the least.

Lion in Winter Jul 13th 2005 1:08 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by ImHere
This is actually a fair point...life down here without AC would be horrific to say the least.


Crying now....

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 1:13 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Crying now....

I wouldnt do that in the winter if I were you, it'll stick to your face in the cold so I would get it in as much as you can now before you're iced over for 6 months. I think our average daytime winter temp here last year was about 72f and it was a cold one by all accounts.

I think perhap we should seal the state border up in October to stop all those whinging northerners from spending the winter here and clogging up our roads and beaches.

Ray Jul 13th 2005 1:30 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
My heart bleeds - after all those jokes when I'm in the depths of a Chicago winter. Oh yes, my heart bleeds.

JeeZ ..we have cold days as well you know... many a cold winters day I have to wear trousers instead of shorts..... and a long sleeved shirt... instead of a T shirt..so we know suffering.. missy.......

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 1:31 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Ray
JeeZ ..we have cold days as well you know... many a cold winters day I have to wear trousers instead of shorts..... and a long sleeved shirt... instead of a T shirt..so we know suffering.. missy.......

I had to put jeans on three days last winter. I was not amused.

Eskimo Jul 13th 2005 1:32 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS.. I just thought it was interesting .. will make a big difference to Floridians who's whole way of life is dependant on the A/C unit ...

I found it very interesting Ray- we have just had our filters replaced and the difference it incredible but the cost of a new unit (which we need ) is well over 4k :scared: cant imagine life without out - the UK is hot at the moment and Woodsey is moaning like mad about no AC :D

Ray Jul 13th 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I found it very interesting Ray- we have just had our filters replaced and the difference it incredible but the cost of a new unit (which we need ) is well over 4k :scared: cant imagine life without out - the UK is hot at the moment and Woodsey is moaning like mad about no AC :D

How old do you reckon your current unit is ..if its older than 92 ..you may well have an 8 SEER.. a new one would save a lot in electric bills

Pimpbot Jul 13th 2005 1:40 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 
Whatever the cost, I'll pay it. It was 115 here yesterday and it's going to be 116 today. Fried egg on the patio anyone?.

Pigtails Jul 13th 2005 1:59 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 
Ray, the only problem is, I've heard that most people won't benefit from the 30% unless they install new duct work.

TouristTrap Jul 13th 2005 2:04 pm

Re: Air conditioning
 
Had to replace my one tenant's ac a couple of months ago, and the AC dude told me about it, and suggested I replace my own unit before the end of the year!


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:10 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.