British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Air conditioning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/air-conditioning-313618/)

Ray Jul 13th 2005 4:45 am

Air conditioning

Starting in January 2006 the DOE will enforce a 13 seasonal energy efficiency rating or “SEER� standard for residential central air conditioners. This standard, which will apply to central air conditioners increases by 30 percent the SEER standard that applies to models sold today.
Although more efficient will increase the cost of an AC system by at least $1,000. But in theory be cheaper to run ... Units may be a lot larger in size...

Lion in Winter Jul 13th 2005 12:11 pm

Re: Air conditioning

Originally Posted by Ray
Starting in January 2006 the DOE will enforce a 13 seasonal energy efficiency rating or “SEER� standard for residential central air conditioners. This standard, which will apply to central air conditioners increases by 30 percent the SEER standard that applies to models sold today.
Although more efficient will increase the cost of an AC system by at least $1,000. But in theory be cheaper to run ... Units may be a lot larger in size...

Mountisland? Is that you?

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

<Snort>

I did wonder. Do you think he's feeling himself?

Ray Jul 13th 2005 1:05 pm

FFS.. I just thought it was interesting .. will make a big difference to Floridians who's whole way of life is dependant on the A/C unit ...

Lion in Winter Jul 13th 2005 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS.. I just thought it was interesting .. will make a big difference to Floridians who's whole way of life is dependant on the A/C unit ...

My heart bleeds - after all those jokes when I'm in the depths of a Chicago winter. Oh yes, my heart bleeds.

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

This is actually a fair point...life down here without AC would be horrific to say the least.

Lion in Winter Jul 13th 2005 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
This is actually a fair point...life down here without AC would be horrific to say the least.

Crying now....

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 1:13 pm

Crying now....

I wouldnt do that in the winter if I were you, it'll stick to your face in the cold so I would get it in as much as you can now before you're iced over for 6 months. I think our average daytime winter temp here last year was about 72f and it was a cold one by all accounts.

I think perhap we should seal the state border up in October to stop all those whinging northerners from spending the winter here and clogging up our roads and beaches.

Ray Jul 13th 2005 1:30 pm

My heart bleeds - after all those jokes when I'm in the depths of a Chicago winter. Oh yes, my heart bleeds.

JeeZ ..we have cold days as well you know... many a cold winters day I have to wear trousers instead of shorts..... and a long sleeved shirt... instead of a T shirt..so we know suffering.. missy.......

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
JeeZ ..we have cold days as well you know... many a cold winters day I have to wear trousers instead of shorts..... and a long sleeved shirt... instead of a T shirt..so we know suffering.. missy.......

I had to put jeans on three days last winter. I was not amused.

Eskimo Jul 13th 2005 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

I found it very interesting Ray- we have just had our filters replaced and the difference it incredible but the cost of a new unit (which we need ) is well over 4k :scared: cant imagine life without out - the UK is hot at the moment and Woodsey is moaning like mad about no AC :D

Ray Jul 13th 2005 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I found it very interesting Ray- we have just had our filters replaced and the difference it incredible but the cost of a new unit (which we need ) is well over 4k :scared: cant imagine life without out - the UK is hot at the moment and Woodsey is moaning like mad about no AC :D

How old do you reckon your current unit is ..if its older than 92 ..you may well have an 8 SEER.. a new one would save a lot in electric bills

Pimpbot Jul 13th 2005 1:40 pm

Whatever the cost, I'll pay it. It was 115 here yesterday and it's going to be 116 today. Fried egg on the patio anyone?.

Pigtails Jul 13th 2005 1:59 pm

Ray, the only problem is, I've heard that most people won't benefit from the 30% unless they install new duct work.

TouristTrap Jul 13th 2005 2:04 pm

Had to replace my one tenant's ac a couple of months ago, and the AC dude told me about it, and suggested I replace my own unit before the end of the year!

Ray Jul 13th 2005 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Ray, the only problem is, I've heard that most people won't benefit from the 30% unless they install new duct work.

Very old systems ..that could be true .. But mostly said by ductwork saleman

Eskimo Jul 13th 2005 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
How old do you reckon your current unit is ..if its older than 92 ..you may well have an 8 SEER.. a new one would save a lot in electric bills

its 1990 our last main summer bill was $400 :scared:

Ray Jul 13th 2005 3:36 pm

its 1990 our last main summer bill was $400 :scared:

15 years old ... start saving for that new one ...
I think our highest bill is around $260 and its runs 24 hours a day May until
Oct... but we only have a tiny 2000 sq ft of living area..

cindyabs Jul 13th 2005 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

Ours was $134 last month and runs 24/7 as well-17 bucks higher than May. Can't wait to see this month's......... Our unit is 8 years old and found out that although when we had it put in,was supposed to be able to handle our screen porch we have since made into a sunroom it can't. So anyway you cut it, will have to replace it with a bigger and more expensive unit anyway.

Eskimo Jul 13th 2005 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

3000 sq ft running 16 hours per day .....I think our pool filter adds to the bill though as well

Ray Jul 13th 2005 4:36 pm

3000 sq ft running 16 hours per day .....I think our pool filter adds to the bill though as well

Our bill inc the pool pump etc as well.. you would save a fair bit though ..
and with the more modern contols/thermostat/humidistat that can help considerably as well ..start saving ...

krizzy Jul 13th 2005 4:41 pm

My AC is 25 years old....but even if I run it a lot in the hot weather......90s plus.....my bill goes up around $60/80 a month....that is also running a stand alone in the attic bedroom 24/7.......normal summers like this one.....we use the AC around 4 days a month......bad summers....its on all the time.....I could save money by getting a new AC......but not that much......maybe $20 or so a month....I'm going to have a new system put upstairs....the stand alone works OK but the room is 36 by 12 so I really need 2 stand alones ........

I'm looking to see if the kids at the tech school can fit a new AC unit for me......then I can get a self fit one online for around $1000.......with the tech you only pay for parts not labour......because the kids come with a teacher to fit the unit......

It may also work out cheaper to buy window AC units.....and just cool the rooms we use.....only upgrading the AC unit to sell the house......

krizzy Jul 13th 2005 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

We have a new unit in our FL home....when there in the summer for 2200 sq ft our bill for Aug was $120......I set the A/C to 76/78 .....and I find it only turns on a lot mid afternoon.......the house keeps very cool......in fact the bedrooms are cold even in high summer.......

Eskimo Jul 13th 2005 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Our bill inc the pool pump etc as well.. you would save a fair bit though ..
and with the more modern contols/thermostat/humidistat that can help considerably as well ..start saving ...

I replaced the Thermostat with a digital last week ($100) so I now have a timer and better temp control - so I guess that will help

Pimpbot Jul 13th 2005 7:20 pm

Our Air con runs all day at 74 and the bills $150 a month for a 1600 sq ft house

snorkmaiden Jul 13th 2005 8:24 pm

2400 sq ft. Very old a/c and the bill we just got for last months electricity is $375 and we are not even in the hottest part of the year yet. That is up significantly from this time last year.

We are renting our house and I doubt our landlord is likely to replace the a/c anytime soon.

What temp do you all keep your thermostats at? That bill is based on keeping the upstairs and downstairs thermostat on 78.

Ray Jul 13th 2005 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
2400 sq ft. Very old a/c and the bill we just got for last months electricity is $375 and we are not even in the hottest part of the year yet. That is up significantly from this time last year.

Unlike frigid Pimpbot .. mine is a constant 77F

krizzy Jul 13th 2005 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

We are renting our house and I doubt our landlord is likely to replace the a/c anytime soon.

What temp do you all keep your thermostats at? That bill is based on keeping the upstairs and downstairs thermostat on 78.

i keep mine at 76....if I can I use the sea breeze to cool the house..thats was sadly missing the last 2 summers.....and is back thank goodness this year....so indoors is a nice 71 to 76 all day....it can even go down to 68 at night....the tall trees give us a lot of shade too...the lady across the road cut all hers down..then had to have AC fitted because the sun was just pouring into her house....that'll teach her to move to the Cape and want a lawn......