Reload this Page >

Aiming For Sioux Falls

Aiming For Sioux Falls

Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Ric66fb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aiming For Sioux Falls

Hi,

I'm a Brit and have a girlfriend in Sioux Falls SD. I'm going there to spend christmas when we will also be getting engaged. I'm Hoping you guys can guide me through the minefield that is ahead so I can join her there to live.

So my first query is fiance or spouses Visa, which is the easiest or less painful route and is one quicker than the other ?

Ric
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aiming For Sioux Falls

Originally Posted by Ric66fb
So my first query is fiance or spouses Visa, which is the easiest or less painful route and is one quicker than the other ?
They are equally easy and painful... and "quicker" depends on your goals. Is it more important to be together faster, or is it more important to be able to work immediately? Would you rather be separated while engaged? Or while married? Would you rather spend more money? Or less money?

You need to clarify these issues... and once you do, you'll have your answer. Check out the BE Wiki - there's entries on both the K-1 visa (fiance) and CR-1 visa (spouse).

Also, we're not mind readers... so, is your girlfriend a US citizen? Do you have any visa overstay issues? Any denied visas? Any criminal history?

Hopefully, a moderator will move this thread to the marriage-based forum.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Ric66fb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They are equally easy and painful... and "quicker" depends on your goals. Is it more important to be together faster, or is it more important to be able to work immediately? Would you rather be separated while engaged? Or while married? Would you rather spend more money? Or less money?

You need to clarify these issues... and once you do, you'll have your answer. Check out the BE Wiki - there's entries on both the K-1 visa (fiance) and CR-1 visa (spouse).

Also, we're not mind readers... so, is your girlfriend a US citizen? Do you have any visa overstay issues? Any denied visas? Any criminal history?

Hopefully, a moderator will move this thread to the marriage-based forum.

Ian
OK thanks, and my apologies for posting this in the wrong place.

Stacey IS a US citizen, there's no visa overstays or denials and I cant put a price on her so I dont care what it costs. I did break a guys nose however 40 years ago, in 1972 to be exact so have a record for common assault.

Obviously want to be with her asap but want to work asap too as I'm no slacker.

As for being seperated during the process, not much choice there really is there, though I would like to know if my visitors visa is still usable during the process .

Once again thanks .

Ric

Last edited by Ric66fb; Oct 31st 2009 at 3:52 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, and my apologies for posting this in the wrong place.

Stacey IS a US citizen, there's no visa overstays or denials and I cant put a price on her so I dont care what it costs. I did break a guys nose however 40 years ago, in 1972 to be exact so have a record for common assault.

Obviously want to be with her asap but want to work asap too as I'm no slacker.

As for being seperated during the process, not much choice there really is there, though I would like to know if my visitors visa is still usable during the process .

Once again thanks .

Ric
Breaking a nose is hardly common assualt ... more GBH ..buts its a long time ago
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:04 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

If Mark and I had to do it all over again, we'd definitely go the CR-1 spousal route because it's so much more advantageous than the K-1 fiance visa: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=38

So, as has been said, "the best way" is completely subjective.

I did break a guys nose however 40 years ago, in 1972 to be exact so have a record for common assault.
OI! There's a BIG difference between 1972 and 1969! 1972 is no where close to being "40 years ago"!

~ Jenney (born in 1972 and not ready to be lumped into the 40-somethings category just yet)

Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ric, please start by reading the siki entry for the K-1, and for the CR-1. That will give you the basic flow of the two visas you're most likely to look at.
After you've read them (they are short, but 'lingo' intensive), you'll have an idea of the flow of thinigs and who starts what.

If you get smart and learn what you're doing ahead of time, it could be as short as 6 months or so. Piffle around with it and it'll be a year before you're moving to SD, and we all know it'll be snowing by that time.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
~ Jenney (born in 1972 and not ready to be lumped into the 40-somethings category just yet)

Welcome to the Dark Side!