Ah, Brexit.

Old Aug 4th 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ah, Brexit.

Starting to research (I could be a bit late to the game!) impact of Brexit. Searched the forum but couldn't find anything directly related.

Im a U.K. Expat LPR in the US. I have £ cash funds in a current account in the U.K.

Tons and tonnes of info re the impact on various different trade sectors from agri, chemicals, engineering, financial plus impact on jobs in both U.K. and EU countries. But I haven't found much theorising or related deductions on the impacts on exchange rates.

Does anyone have have any insights or thoughts here?

I could transfer my funds (as I have in the past) to the US easily of course.

Thanks.

Old Aug 4th 2018, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ah, Brexit.

We're looking at buying remote land in Scotland when Brexit crashes the economy - Not for personal gain, we simply want to own a piece of home for sh*ts and giggles. Other than that I wish there was a way to get my family over here so they can abandon the sinking ship. I truly wish Scotland would just gain its independence and cut ties with this Brexit nonsense and return some stability (To Scotland at least).

FYI I had originally wanted to vote 'leave' but was out of the country at voting so didn't get the chance - I truly wish I'd voted to stay.

As far as financially, I don't think anyone is questioning that the pound will fall through the floor for several months at the very least when it happens before climbing - How well it recovers is the real question.

My 'common sense' logic would be abandon ship and take the booty with ye afore she sinks.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks notaclue - pretty much what I thought as I was writing the post really. The pound will get clobbered probably, the Euro may take a hit too....And, as you say how strong/long the recovery would be is anyone's guess.

Total agreement with the Scotland thing although the social finances, healthcare systems, taxation and how Scotland could go it alone are interesting. That said if I were to go back it would probably be to Scotland anyway. I'll be refreshing my XE account shortly.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to predict long-term currency movements or economic events is a fools game.

Invest your money in a good fund like Terry Smiths Fundsmith fund. Quality stocks are the place to be.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find many threads on here discussing exchange rates and movements, agree anybody who got it right was more by luck.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 11:22 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately no one can predict the outcome of Brexit; Mrs May has quite brilliantly managed to alienate both sides of the argument with her total disregard for any other opinion but hers, a skill she acquired in the Home Office! I too voted leave, but with the current shambolic political situation in the UK I think I would prefer to stay now.

Oh well, at least I'm moving to a stable political environment in the US!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cranston
Trying to predict long-term currency movements or economic events is a fools game.

Invest your money in a good fund like Terry Smiths Fundsmith fund. Quality stocks are the place to be.
Yeah, I saw that guys success etc. But is it just - and his success - UK based?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Nice x 2. Brexit is freaky but I live here now. Tough choice if such a thing exists.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freerskier
Yeah, I saw that guys success etc. But is it just - and his success - UK based?
The fund is UK based in GBP and I am not sure what countries they accept investors from.

His success is based on global investing. Their youtube page explains their investing process and there is lots on the web about them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Fundsmith
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah - looked into it. U.K. Residents only. There's a Delaware arm of the company but it's only for super high net worth/institutional investors.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 7:39 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

AndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Freerskier did you end up jumping ship? I’m currently in the same predicament. Debating do I move the funds now or play the waiting game. I have read and seen the rates can fall as low as 1.20 for the GBP to USD but also saw it could go up 10% to as high as 1.39 GBP to USD.

Its a a little scary watching the rates drop so much over the past 2weeks.

Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah.

Ive taken the plunge on the basis that I'll have a ground zero in the USA for my funds.

Ill look at tracker funds and some others, probably through vanguard, Merrill edge something like that - keep an eye on the midterms here and Brexit.

Old Aug 9th 2018, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

vindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nicevindico is just really nice

Fortunately, and largely by happy accident, I moved a load of GBP out to USD at $1.41 over several transactions. So I managed to ride the peak.

However, I think <$1.30 is undervaluing GBP. I am no expert, but I do follow GBP-USD closely as I run an export business, and I think that $1.35-1.40 is probably a natural value right now based on the fundamentals of the economy. Anything else is just 'political weather' blowing the rate around.

I also think that the current hammering is due to latest political posturing ahead of the next round of negotiations and that at the end of the negotiations are more reasonable outcome will have been achieved and GBP will recover a little. (There are always hard line public statements in advance, and a more emollient tone afterwards once progress is 'hailed').

Certainly don't take my advice as gospel, but I still have a load of GBP in the UK and if I were in your position I would say if you are able to leave it I would sit tight and wait for GBP to come back to the $1.35 range and then bring across.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

isi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding my tuppenceworth here , pun intended. For various reasons my immigration journey has taken almost 2 1/2 years and have watched the value of my cash I will be taking over to the states loose big style-and made me weep! I have kept in touch with a broker that I'm using to transfer my cash over in a few months when I've settled my affairs in Scotland. His advice last week is still to hold on until I absolutely need to transfer money and only as much as I need interim if needed for a house before the end of the year. All the 'experts' have said the dollar pound rate is fully expected to be back at $1.40 to $1.45 by November/december. Only time will be the correct prediction I think. Brexit has been a twat!

Last edited by isi16; Aug 9th 2018 at 10:57 pm. Reason: Correcting error
Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isi16
All the 'experts' have said the dollar pound rate is fully expected to be back
There are no experts when it comes to currency movements. There are only people who don't know and people who don't know they don't know.

Signed
An Expert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.