Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Affordable annual travel insurance for UK expats in the US

Affordable annual travel insurance for UK expats in the US

Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

rusugiru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affordable annual travel insurance for UK expats in the US

My husband and I are looking for an annual travel insurance policy that will cover us as British expats living in the US (green card holders). We used to be covered by Worldwide Travel Insurance Services Ltd for just 200 GBP per annum, but that company has just stopped offering that policy. We have seen a few policies but they all top at least $1,000; most of them double that. We need coverage for medical and dental expenses, medical evacuation and repatriation of remains (ideally to the UK, since that's where all our family is) and ideally such things as cancellation/curtailment, missed departure, lost baggage, etc. We need this pretty urgently, as our current coverage expires on 21 Dec 2005 and my husband is travelling to Africa a week later. Any advice gratefully received!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable annual travel insurance for UK expats in the US

EOM, sorry, misread your message.

Last edited by Manc; Dec 7th 2005 at 1:47 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:47 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

the World Wide travel Anual insurance was limited to I think at the most, 90 day trips at a time. SO if you were in the USA for more than 90 days, you could have got screwed as they look at your flight tickets (I Know cause it happened to my in-law when she had a stroke but luckily she was only here for a 60 day trip).

Were you just tripping back and forwards from the UK and USA. Not sure who's taken over anual travel trips. I know as US costs soar, and older people are travelling, insurance to USA is getting harder for long durations.

If you are living in the USA, you MUST have US medical coverage. Don't risk it, when you need it, travel ins. companies will DIG DEEP and if they find you have been abusing the system (and not a UK resident), they will refund your 200 quid and NOT insure you. YOU NEED TO READ THE SMALL PRINT OF ALL UK TRAVEL INSURANCE. You are on a doomed path. Sorry.

Last edited by franc11s; Dec 7th 2005 at 1:50 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

rusugiru is an unknown quantity at this point

franc11s, I think you misunderstood my message. My husband and I LIVE in the US, and we obviously have full US medical insurance to cover our helathcare costs here. However, we make frequent overseas trips every year and are looking for an annual, multi-trip insurance policy to cover those trips OUTSIDE of the US. We aren't eligible for UK-based travel insurance (sadly, because it's infinitely cheaper than what's on offer in the US) because we are no longer UK residents, despite being British citizens.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:09 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rusugiru
My husband and I are looking for an annual travel insurance policy that will cover us as British expats living in the US (green card holders).
I hope i've understood your question correctly. I'm using www.worldwidemedical.com for travel medical insurance while i'm based in the US. Not medical insurance for living in the US though.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:29 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
Travel insurance is for traveling.
As you are green card holders living in the USA, you are not travelling in the USA.

Ergo, regular medical insurance is what you need.

And doesnt some regular medical insurance cover you for travel also?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
And doesnt some regular medical insurance cover you for travel also?
yes, well 99% does. but like franc, I misread her message.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
yes, well 99% does. but like franc, I misread her message.
Funny, on my screen right underneath the last message was a link advertising travel insurance.

I would check your US Medical cover and your household insurance, there may be an extension available to your household policy. The main cost items for coverage is Medical and Baggage, if these are effectively catered for elsewhere then if you can add on to an existing policy the bits then that sholuld be cheapest rather than duplicating existing covers. Assuming you are bothered about the bits.

UK coverage would be cheaper because of the Medical side, included is Emergancy Travel, they would try and get you back asap as once you are back you are no longer a cost and most people want to get back anyway. Only works if the UK is where you go back to.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The baggage insurance and like is usually taken care of by paying for your trip with and Amex or similar card so there's no point in paying for it twice. For the health stuff, Google is your friend. This site looked okay-ish on a casual glance: http://www.totaltravelinsurance.com/. Would suggest you add the line -site:.uk to your search string as such travel insurance is much more common in the UK than the insular USA.