Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Affirmative dis-satisf(action)

Affirmative dis-satisf(action)

Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:12 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affirmative dis-satisf(action)

Originally Posted by Manc
which discriminated towards ethnic minorities.
You asked for a sample of discrimination I didn't know you were discriminating discrimination.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
You asked for a sample of discrimination I didn't know you were discriminating discrimination.
I just want to know where in Michigan people are discriminated against getting education and jobs in 2006.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Will you be telling us next that the Holocaust during WW2 never happened and that the moon is made of cheese?
Are you smoking crack?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:18 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

please cite examples of right now here in Michigan discrimination.
Well, if you really want to make this discussion so black and white (ahem). 17 year old Terence Moore, recently arrested in Kalamazoo for being uncooperative when he refused to give a traffic cop, who had pulled him over for having his car stereo too loud, his cell phone number. Apparently you are not required to supply this information during a traffic stop. Moore claims to have been otherwise cooperative but we will never know. The cop in question was later reprimanded for breaking departmental rules by having neither his voice nor video recorder switched on during the arrest.

But really, I think you know that my point is not specific examples of discrimination 'right now here in Michigan'. You are an intelligent guy. Surely you grasp that my whole point is that repealing affirmative action is a slippery slope that will not be good for the untied states as a whole. Though I am sure that there are many Americans, black white blue and green out there who would consider a statement like - I have a feeling that the crack whores on the corner of Grand River and Woodward are not there because they were refused entry to the University of Michigan - might consider that as a good example of discrimination, if not outright racism 'right now in Michigan'. Then again, people think and say the funniest things don't they.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:22 pm
@matthewb76

Well, if you really want to make this discussion so black and white (ahem). 17 year old Terence Moore, recently arrested in Kalamazoo for being uncooperative when he refused to give a traffic cop, who had pulled him over for having his car stereo too loud, his cell phone number. Apparently you are not required to supply this information during a traffic stop. Moore claims to have been otherwise cooperative but we will never know. The cop in question was later reprimanded for breaking departmental rules by having neither his voice nor video recorder switched on during the arrest.

But really, I think you know that my point is not specific examples of discrimination 'right now here in Michigan'. You are an intelligent guy. Surely you grasp that my whole point is that repealing affirmative action is a slippery slope that will not be good for the untied states as a whole. Though I am sure that there are many Americans, black white blue and green out there who would consider a statement like - I have a feeling that the crack whores on the corner of Grand River and Woodward are not there because they were refused entry to the University of Michigan - might consider that as a good example of discrimination, if not outright racism 'right now in Michigan'. Then again, people think and say the funniest things don't they.
Citing the actions of a dickhead copper is not discrimination, it's just citing the actions of a dickhead cop.

In Michigan, everyone, and I do mean everyone has the right and the means to get a decent education and job if they so choose.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:22 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Are you smoking crack?
Ha ha. Not right now. But next time you are passing the crack whores you could get me a price.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:24 pm
Bugger Off!

Citing the actions of a dickhead copper is not discrimination, it's just citing the actions of a dickhead cop.

In Michigan, everyone, and I do mean everyone has the right and the means to get a decent education and job if they so choose.
And in America anyone born here can theoretically become president, but back on planet earth, I think you will agree, it is not so simple as that.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:30 pm
@matthewb76

And in America anyone born here can theoretically become president, but back on planet earth, I think you will agree, it is not so simple as that.

I don't see how this fits in with your arguement.

you've still not explained to me why affirmitive action is needed.
Surely if it were needed it would be because people are being denied education and jobs.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:32 pm
Bugger Off!

Whoops, sorry. Forgot to ask - what does it mean when all the other cops don't point out to the dickhead cop that he is a dickhead, and that the arrest and charges this young man now faces, whether because he is black or because the dickhead cop didn't share his taste in music, are also dickhead cops. And if so doesn't that mean this is merely not the action of one dickhead cop? And when he faces a judge in court and all those tax payers dollars are wasted, does that mean it is only the action of one dickhead DA, one dickhead Judge, one dickhead police department and one dickhead system of justice? Questions questions. you see. It is never just one dickhead cop.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:40 pm
Bugger Off!

I don't see how this fits in with your arguement.

you've still not explained to me why affirmitive action is needed.
Surely if it were needed it would be because people are being denied education and jobs.
This never was my argument. You asked me to cite an instance of discrimination right now here in Michigan. I merely complied with your request.
The argument that minorities in Michigan or anywhere else in the USA are not in anyway discriminated against, just because employers have previously been responsible for hiring a small amount of them, and educational systems for extending the opportunity of an education to a small amount of them, is too ridicules to have to explain. Well, maybe not to my daughter who is eight, but to a self aware and educated adult.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:45 pm
@matthewb76

This never was my argument. You asked me to cite an instance of discrimination right now here in Michigan. I merely complied with your request.
but the example you cited had nothing to do with being denied education or a job.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:55 pm
Bugger Off!

but the example you cited had nothing to do with being denied education or a job.
Read up, You didn't ask for that. You asked for a specific example of discrimination now in Michigan. I gave you one.

But alas manc me ole pal, as much as I would like to kick this topic around all day, I cannot. Lets give someone else a chance eh ha ha. There must be lots of people out there who would like a go at my points because I believe in equality for all, and maybe a little bit more for those that have never experienced it before lol, c'mon, just a bit? Whaddaya say lol.
They do say the meek shall inherit the earth but, I reckon, they would be satisfied with decent housing, jobs and education for now.

Maybe I'll check back later.
Thanks for the sparring mate. It keep sme on me toes. Have a good day and chat soon I hope.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:00 pm
@matthewb76

Read up, You didn't ask for that. You asked for a specific example of discrimination now in Michigan. I gave you one.
Read up two posts higher to that one.

what education and jobs do they not have access to?
was my original question.
so you fully understood my question on discrimination. I didn't think I had to spell it out twice for you that I meant towards affirmative action (which is what this thread is about, not dickhead cops, or the holocaust, or black presidents....which is what you're trying to spin it into)

my question is simply.......
In 2006 in Michigan, is any denied education or jobs at secondry education or state level based on race?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:25 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, sorry. Forgot to ask - what does it mean when all the other cops don't point out to the dickhead cop that he is a dickhead, and that the arrest and charges this young man now faces, whether because he is black or because the dickhead cop didn't share his taste in music, are also dickhead cops. And if so doesn't that mean this is merely not the action of one dickhead cop? And when he faces a judge in court and all those tax payers dollars are wasted, does that mean it is only the action of one dickhead DA, one dickhead Judge, one dickhead police department and one dickhead system of justice? Questions questions. you see. It is never just one dickhead cop.
It's just the 'blue' wall of silence, sticking together. (not just for racial incidents)

Last edited by Irn-bru; Nov 8th 2006 at 4:27 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Affirmative action was, in the beginning, supposed to be a tie-breaker.

If you have one job, or one slot in a university class, and two "equally" qualified candidates, who do you choose? The minority candidate? Or do you flip a coin?

Equality of opportunity is not equality of outcome. If the person who's chosen can't do the job or pass the course, you fire them or dismiss them from school. You can slightly (and I mean slightly) bias opportunity in favour of minorities and women because the equality of opportunity is going to bias in favour of white males in the good ol' boy network.

Can't say this enough times: I'll never be invited to play racquetball with the boss.