Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Wikiposts

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by Bob
NY is an exception to the rule.

Part of the affidavit of support that the financial sponsor signs, when you do the AOS is that recipient won't collect any federal means tested benefits and that the feds will be able to go after the sponsor to collect the money if they do.

The thing is, the feds rarely do and NY said if the feds can't be bothered then they will not enforce it, thus you can claim the benefits in NY.

Thing is, I have no idea how this would play out if the recipient were to then apply for US citizenship. Though at the age some of the folks are talking here, that could well be a moot issue....hopefully for you it won't be moot or a issue.
Ah that explains it then.

When I was looking on the NJ site for jmood, it seemed to be one of those anomalous things you get here, need 5 years if you are a GC holder, but can go on it immediately of you don't have one.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You would have thought the 'system' would stop people not eligible from applying. Most odd.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to butt in. If your father is from the UK then the Dept of pensions issue an annual statement of his pension. We get ours every year here in Cebu - around April due to time mail takes to get here!you should be able to get copy by contacting the International Pensions dept in Newcastle - link on the direct.gov.uk site. you can email them and they will respond - probably call you as well to check the facts. They are actually quite efficient.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Sorry to butt in. If your father is from the UK then the Dept of pensions issue an annual statement of his pension. We get ours every year here in Cebu - around April due to time mail takes to get here!you should be able to get copy by contacting the International Pensions dept in Newcastle - link on the direct.gov.uk site. you can email them and they will respond - probably call you as well to check the facts. They are actually quite efficient.
I believe he is from India.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Thanks. No, he's not British. Would have made life easier if he were.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I believe he is from India.
Why do you think that?
No he's not from India or anywhere in that region.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Doctorate level?
The course I mentioned? No, it's just a certificate course.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jmood
Thanks. No, he's not British. Would have made life easier if he were.

Why do you think that?
No he's not from India or anywhere in that region.
Oh I'm sorry! I don't know where I got that from.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Ah that explains it then.

When I was looking on the NJ site for jmood, it seemed to be one of those anomalous things you get here, need 5 years if you are a GC holder, but can go on it immediately of you don't have one.
I'm surprised that NY can do that. Medicaid is funded at the federal level with contributions from the state. Medicaid is flexible where a state can offer more than the minimum federal requirement and the federal government will put in more money but the 5 year green card law is federal so either NY is paying 100% of the cost for people that that don't qualify under federal law or have had a special law passed by the federal government specifically for NY just like there was a special law passed to assist Massachusetts with federal money when Romney's health care reform was passed in the mid 2000s.

In fact that is why Massachusetts was not overly concerned whether ACA passed or not since they were already getting federal money for their similar program. Initially I didn't realize that Massachusetts was already getting a ton of money from the federal government for their health care program so was surprised when they elected Scott Brown who was against ACA but after research, I discovered that it would likely be a break even situation for Massachusetts no matter which way it went.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 19th 2014 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm surprised that NY can do that. Medicaid is funded at the federal level with contributions from the state. Medicaid is flexible where a state can offer more than the minimum federal requirement and the federal government will put in more money but the 5 year green card law is federal so either NY is paying 100% of the cost for people that that don't qualify under federal law or have had a special law passed by the federal government specifically for NY just like there was a special law passed to assist Massachusetts with federal money when Romney's health care reform was passed in the mid 2000s.

In fact that is why Massachusetts was not overly concerned whether ACA passed or not since they were already getting federal money for their similar program. Initially I didn't realize that Massachusetts was already getting a ton of money from the federal government for their health care program so was surprised when they elected Scott Brown who was against ACA but after research, I discovered that it would likely be a break even situation for Massachusetts no matter which way it went.
That's the thing, federal program, federal money, but the feds don't chase the money, seemingly leaving it to the state, which is why NY is ignoring it.

Also don't know about those who got greencards by other means, but family based that have financial sponsor, it would be those folks on the hook for reclaimed expense, not the recipient, who could apply for whatever they want, whether they are eligible or not.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the thing, federal program, federal money, but the feds don't chase the money, seemingly leaving it to the state, which is why NY is ignoring it.

Also don't know about those who got greencards by other means, but family based that have financial sponsor, it would be those folks on the hook for reclaimed expense, not the recipient, who could apply for whatever they want, whether they are eligible or not.
Yah, you are probably right. The 5 year green card rule that restricts means tested benefits is in place but there is a caveat where if someone gets means tested benefits, the sponsor is liable to repay the federal government but the federal government hasn't been pursuing the sponsors for repayment. So I suspect NY offers Medicaid knowing that it is unlikely that the federal government will go after the sponsor.

That was the reson why NYC recently refunded money that they collected from sponsors of green card holders that received city benefits since the federal government doesn't pursue sponsors
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

That was the reson why NYC recently refunded money that they collected from sponsors of green card holders that received city benefits since the federal government doesn't pursue sponsors
WHAT?
Was that in the news. Wowsie.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
.....So I suspect NY offers Medicaid knowing that it is unlikely that the federal government will go after the sponsor.

Yup we New Yorkers March to the sound of a different drummer!!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

there is a caveat where if someone gets means tested benefits, the sponsor is liable to repay the federal government but the federal government hasn't been pursuing the sponsors for repayment.
Is this everywhere in the US?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

WHAT?
Was that in the news. Wowsie.
It was a few months after Blasio was elected mayor of NYC.

EXCLUSIVE: Mayor de Blasio stopping requirement for immigrants' sponsors to repay city for welfare, refunding close to $1 million - NY Daily News

Welfare is a federal benefit with contributions from state and local governments. Apparently Bloomberg pursued sponsors for the city contribution.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 20th 2014 at 10:52 am.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is this everywhere in the US?
It's federal law for federal means tested benefits except specific means tested benefits such as "Emergency Medicaid". However repayment from sponsors of someone that get means tested benefits isn't being pursued but that could change in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.