Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Wikiposts

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Old Jul 1st 2014, 6:14 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Agreed, it did take a zillion phone calls for my OH to get set up, but they got there in the end, with excellent cover at a really good price.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
jmood and others, I am currently looking at options for my son through the exchanges and have found the people on the helpline to be helpful. I recommend laying out the situation to them and seeing what they come up with.
Thanks!
Is this the people of the ACA or the people from individual insurers via the ACA?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Thanks!
Is this the people of the ACA or the people from individual insurers via the ACA?
The helpline for the exchanges. It's called 'Covered California' for us.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

I also found this:

Note: If you get an exemption because coverage is unaffordable based on your expected income, you may also qualify to buy catastrophic coverage through the Marketplace. This may be more affordable than your other options.
https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy...strophic-plan/
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The helpline for the exchanges. It's called 'Covered California' for us.
For NY, if you want to talk to someone they start giving you a list of whom you can talk to. Such as the Restaurant Opportunity Center, Women's Chamber of Commerce, Abc Inc etc etc. Seems there are no dedicated health exchange people.

And of course those folks aren't available to talk until after 4th of July.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

For NY, if you want to talk to someone they start giving you a list of whom you can talk to. Such as the Restaurant Opportunity Center, Women's Chamber of Commerce, Abc Inc etc etc. Seems there are no dedicated health exchange people.

And of course those folks aren't available to talk until after 4th of July.
Have you tried the number on this one?

New York State of Health | The Official Health Plan Marketplace for New York State
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that was the number I called.

There were an incredible number of options (more than any other service number I've ever dialled). I may call again and try a different option, though I'm pretty sure I used the right one as an individual to talk to someone for signing up options.

Edit: OMG! Hitting star puts you through directly to an operator

Last edited by jmood; Jul 2nd 2014 at 10:08 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Update: the person I spoke with at the exchange said that my dad may be eligible for Medicare along with Medicaid (this is after he comes a LPR) and gave me 2 phone numbers, one for nationwide 1-800-medicare and a number for Community Service Society of NY who are the "navigators" for medicaid. That's it. So I have to speak with them.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Update: the person I spoke with at the exchange said that my dad may be eligible for Medicare along with Medicaid (this is after he comes a LPR) and gave me 2 phone numbers, one for nationwide 1-800-medicare and a number for Community Service Society of NY who are the "navigators" for medicaid. That's it. So I have to speak with them.
Sounds hopeful!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm currently on the phone with NJ (we may live in NY or NJ, not sure, will depend on health coverage as well as other things). The person on the phone in NY was fine. I've now spoken to one person and then their supervisor on the NJ phone line and they both have been as useless as over the phone people get. I'm trying to reach a 3rd line phone support person. Grr
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds hopeful!
+1

Sounds like you are on a path to provide some good answers.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I've been on the phone for app 2 hours now and I want to hang myself.

I talked to NJ State Medicaid and Federal Medicare. I wasn't able to talk to NJ County Medicaid (which I was told I should) because a7 3.30 pm they were already closed (!!!) and haven't yet called NY medicaid because I'm exhausted.

Bottom line. Medicare is so f$%^#$up and scary, anyone over the age of 70 (or any age after which their health is no longer reasonable) and not rich is better off throwing themselves off a bridge.

I'll write what I learnt later when I garner some more energy.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 9:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of explains however why many in the US are so concerned about the Feds getting involved in anything else.

I have my views as to why it seems so ****ed up, but it will be a book.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Update: After several phone calls and several exposures to various annoyingly low IQ people I am pretty much nowhere.

I did encounter one helpful and reasonably intelligent person (after I asked to be transferred up twice- so the third level supervisor). Via this person I now have a basic understanding of Medicare.

The thing is that one agency is clueless about the other even though they all interlink and a person's status/coverage is somehow interdependent. So the person is left to figure it out on their own.

Geez, Medicaid NY won't even give me a physical address of an office unless I spell out my name for the second time in the call - after they have already taken down my name at the beginning. A friggin physical address of a friggin building.

I have been unable to talk to anyone at County level Medicaid in NJ (they never answer the phone and their supposed message service with which they are supposed to call you back) never allows you to leave a message as it is "full".

Medicaid goes through the Health Exchange in NY. So I will either have to apply online somehow for Medicaid or walk into one of the - what they call "Leading Agency" offices for in person support.

Again, bottom line, I am unsure where I stand for my dad and whether NY or NJ is going to be the same or not for him.

Next, whenever I have the energy and time I will walk into a medicaid leading agency (prffff) in NYC.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Update: After several phone calls and several exposures to various annoyingly low IQ people I am pretty much nowhere.

I did encounter one helpful and reasonably intelligent person (after I asked to be transferred up twice- so the third level supervisor). Via this person I now have a basic understanding of Medicare.

The thing is that one agency is clueless about the other even though they all interlink and a person's status/coverage is somehow interdependent. So the person is left to figure it out on their own.

Geez, Medicaid NY won't even give me a physical address of an office unless I spell out my name for the second time in the call - after they have already taken down my name at the beginning. A friggin physical address of a friggin building.

I have been unable to talk to anyone at County level Medicaid in NJ (they never answer the phone and their supposed message service with which they are supposed to call you back) never allows you to leave a message as it is "full".

Medicaid goes through the Health Exchange in NY. So I will either have to apply online somehow for Medicaid or walk into one of the - what they call "Leading Agency" offices for in person support.

Again, bottom line, I am unsure where I stand for my dad and whether NY or NJ is going to be the same or not for him.

Next, whenever I have the energy and time I will walk into a medicaid leading agency (prffff) in NYC.

I thought you were applying for medicaid through the exchanges? Why can't you just go ahead and apply?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.