British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advise-moving-my-mum-uk-usa-836863/)

jmood Jul 20th 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Very interesting that it wasn't reported in the mainstream news media. I googled it and nothing came up.

Sally Redux Jul 20th 2014 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by jmood (Post 11342634)
Very interesting that it wasn't reported in the mainstream news media. I googled it and nothing came up.

I think it was. Or maybe I just heard about it on here.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 20th 2014 10:58 pm

I had seen it, no idea where.

Michael Jul 20th 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by jmood (Post 11342634)

It was mostly a conservative issue so the story was primarily confined to FOX News, New York Post, New York Daily News, and other right leaning news organizations. I guess I must have seen the story while flipping through FOX News.

Michael Jul 20th 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11342645)
I had seen it, no idea where.

Maybe it was the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. After all, Colbert is a far right conservative so that would be something that he would totally be against.

hoffage123 Jul 20th 2014 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11341887)
NY is an exception to the rule.

Part of the affidavit of support that the financial sponsor signs, when you do the AOS is that recipient won't collect any federal means tested benefits and that the feds will be able to go after the sponsor to collect the money if they do.

The thing is, the feds rarely do and NY said if the feds can't be bothered then they will not enforce it, thus you can claim the benefits in NY.

Thing is, I have no idea how this would play out if the recipient were to then apply for US citizenship. Though at the age some of the folks are talking here, that could well be a moot issue....hopefully for you it won't be moot or a issue.

I know - all I have to go on at the moment is the customer service rep's word that because I am in a satisfactory status, the 5 year limit doesn't apply in NY state. Looking forward to securing employment (and getting private health insurance) so that I don't have to test it out ...

Hoffage

That being said ... here is a link from the health exchange which explains more ... http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care...dm/04adm-7.pdf

"ELIGIBILITY OF IMMIGRANTS FOR MEDICAID BENEFITS: QUALIFIED
IMMIGRANTS
As a result of the Aliessa v. Novello court decision, all qualified
immigrants regardless of their date of entry into the United States,
can be eligible for Medicaid provided they meet all other
eligibility requirements. The only difference is that Federal
Financial Participation (FFP) should be claimed for some groups but
must not be claimed for others until they have resided in the United
States as qualified immigrants for five years. "

"During their first five years in
the U.S. with a status as qualified immigrant, FFP is not available.
The cost of their Medicaid coverage will be born solely by State
and local shares (50% State/50% local). Once a qualified immigrant
in this group has resided in the United States as a qualified
immigrant for a period of five years, FFP will become available.
This means the federal government will pay a share of their Medicaid
costs. The shares are generally split 50%Federal/25%State/25%local. "

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 20th 2014 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11342655)
Maybe it was the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. After all, Colbert is a far right conservative so that would be something that he would totally be against.

It was online, WP, NYT?

I was amused.

Sally Redux Sep 15th 2014 12:18 am

Just a quick update, not directly related to the thread but may be of help to others.

My son applied for Medi-Cal (the California Medicaid) as he was losing his coverage through my husband's employer. He has been a LPR for 5 years. He applied online and appears to have been accepted. There is only one doctor local to him who is accepting patients so that is who he is registering with :lol:

So the process seemed fairly straightforward, of course he hasn't used it yet.

AmerLisa Sep 15th 2014 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11404977)
Just a quick update, not directly related to the thread but may be of help to others.

My son applied for Medi-Cal (the California Medicaid) as he was losing his coverage through my husband's employer. He has been a LPR for 5 years. He applied online and appears to have been accepted. There is only one doctor local to him who is accepting patients so that is who he is registering with :lol:

So the process seemed fairly straightforward, of course he hasn't used it yet.

Kaiser used to contract with Medi-Cal (many moons ago) perhaps they still do? Or another HMO? Also university hospitals (such as Loma Linda in San Bernandino) have clinics that accept Medi-Cal.

Sally Redux Sep 15th 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11405544)
Kaiser used to contract with Medi-Cal (many moons ago) perhaps they still do? Or another HMO? Also university hospitals (such as Loma Linda in San Bernandino) have clinics that accept Medi-Cal.

I'm not sure how that part works. I assume the PCP would refer to a hospital that accepted it.