British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advise-moving-my-mum-uk-usa-836863/)

essexnick Jun 18th 2014 7:05 pm

Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

I have been living in California, USA for 10 years. I am still a green card holder.

I was thinking about moving my 68 year old mother over here. But have questions on how this can be done? Do I have to be a citizen first?

Will my mother still her her uk pension. What about healthcare in America? Would she be avaiable for Medicare etc?

Would even having my mother here be good? ie.e have others done this and regretted it.?

Any advise would be great start.

Nutmegger Jun 18th 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Advise - Moving my Mum from the UK to USA

Originally Posted by essexnick (Post 11307219)
I

Would even having my mother here be good? ie.e have others done this and regretted it.?

I think the first question has to be, how does your mother feel about it? Is she ready to leave her friends and the way of life she has known for 68 years to come to a foreign country with no social safety net?

Pulaski Jun 18th 2014 7:13 pm

Firstly, you have to be a citizen to sponsor a parent.

Secondly, she won't be eligible for Medicare, so expect some pretty scary medical insurance premiums. Unless she is planning on going back to work I don't believe she will ever be Medicare eligible.

She will still get her UK state pension.

A B2 visa and long visits (upto 6 months/yr) is an attractive alternative, at least as long as her health is good enough to make travel insurance affordable.

robin1234 Jun 18th 2014 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11307234)
Firstly, you have to be a citizen to sponsor a parent.

Secondly, she won't be eligible for Medicare, so expect some pretty scary medical insurance premiums. Unless she is planning on going back to work I don't believe she will ever be Medicare eligible.

I believe that she would be eligible for Medicare once she had been a resident of the US for five years. However, she'd have to pay a premium for Part A, that's the part the rest of us get with no further premium because we have ten or more years of contributions paid through employment.

Additionally, there are premiums to pay for Part B, Part D, and Medicare Supplement insurance. So approx $12,000 per annum for her to pay for premiums and other out of pocket medical expenses. Unfortunately, though, that still leaves the initial five years of residence, prior to Medicare eligibility, to be covered somehow.

Pulaski Jun 18th 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11307259)
I believe that she would be eligible for Medicare once she had been a resident of the US for five years. However, she'd have to pay a premium for Part A, that's the part the rest of us get with no further premium because we have ten or more years of contributions paid through employment.

Additionally, there are premiums to pay for Part B, Part D, and Medicare Supplement insurance. So approx $12,000 per annum for her to pay for premiums and other out of pocket medical expenses. Unfortunately, though, that still leaves the initial five years of residence, prior to Medicare eligibility, to be covered somehow.

So $12,000pa is the "cheap" rate to be looked forwards to! :blink:

durham_lad Jun 18th 2014 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11307271)
So $12,000pa is the "cheap" rate to be looked forwards to! :blink:

I'm not familiar with Medicare yet, are there co-pays and deductibles like regular insurance? Also, how good is the prescription coverage, does that have co-pays as well?

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2014 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11307229)
I think the first question has to be, how does your mother feel about it? Is she ready to leave her friends and the way of life she has known for 68 years to come to a foreign country with no social safety net?

Good question, I think this should be addressed first.

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2014 9:25 pm

****ing idiot.

robin1234 Jun 18th 2014 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11307455)
****ing idiot.

Well, death panels in UK and US will have different rules, so it'll take a bit of planning to wriggle thru the cracks...

robin1234 Jun 18th 2014 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11307429)
I'm not familiar with Medicare yet, are there co-pays and deductibles like regular insurance? Also, how good is the prescription coverage, does that have co-pays as well?

Prescription coverage (Medicare Part D) does have co-pays and the donut hole, although the ACA is supposed to eliminate the donut hole over the next few years. The worst problem with Part D is that different plans offer better or worse coverage for specific medications. You can change you plan each year accordingly, but of course you do not know in advance of new medications you may be prescribed so it is impossible to make a truly informed decision about the best Part D plan for you.

As for Part A and Part B, yes, they have heavy and potentially ruinous co-pays and deductibles. The good thing is that you can take out yet another form of insurance to cover those expenses - Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap.)

So, if you have;
Part A
Part B
Part D
Medicare Supplement

...then you are more or less covered.

An alternative strategy is Medicare Part C, but that's another story.

Suffice it to say that you need to allocate at least two years, from age 63 to age 65, to read up on Medicare...

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2014 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11307476)
Prescription coverage (Medicare Part D) does have co-pays and the donut hole, although the ACA is supposed to eliminate the donut hole over the next few years. The worst problem with Part D is that different plans offer better or worse coverage for specific medications. You can change you plan each year accordingly, but of course you do not know in advance of new medications you may be prescribed so it is impossible to make a truly informed decision about the best Part D plan for you.

As for Part A and Part B, yes, they have heavy and potentially ruinous co-pays and deductibles. The good thing is that you can take out yet another form of insurance to cover those expenses - Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap.)

So, if you have;
Part A
Part B
Part D
Medicare Supplement

Suffice it to say that you need to allocate at least two years, from age 63 to age 65, to read up on Medicare...

There was an item on the news about how long it takes for someone to fill out the paperwork to leave the military. Apparently they recommend allowing a year to do it all.

durham_lad Jun 18th 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks Robin - great explanation.
:goodpost:

I'll reserve a couple of years in my calendar for when I get closer to the date.

robin1234 Jun 18th 2014 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11307483)
Thanks Robin - great explanation.
:goodpost:

I'll reserve a couple of years in my calendar for when I get closer to the date.

It's my latest strategy to get to England. Although my wife is American, she hates bureaucracy. And she's a tightwad. I'm building up an unassailable dossier on the ludicrous complication and extreme expense of Medicare, which I'm releasing to her in dribs and drabs. I know from experience she can't take it all at once...

pigg10 Jun 18th 2014 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11307476)

So, if you have;
Part A
Part B
Part D
Medicare Supplement

LOL so true OH received his booklet Medicare and You, it is mind boogling. I am still in the donut hole. There is over 152 pages. :eek:

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 18th 2014 11:49 pm

So let us say that it will take a couple of years and nothing significantly changes in the meantime.

As a new LPR she is required to have cover, not Medicaid eligible so would need to buy through the Exchange.

If she does not have a significant income she may well get significant credits that would make it affordable.

Did not think the Exchange had age limits?