British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advise-electrical-equipment-transformer-heat-734554/)

kerednai Oct 4th 2011 11:59 am

Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Hi,
I am moving the US at the end of the month and am looking for some advise.
1) I have a UK LCD TV that I would like to take to the US as it cost quite a bit when I bought it and handles fast moving sports like soccer very well - the main reason I bought it. Anyway I am aware that I would need a step down transformer but as long as I connect it to digital or cable outputting via an HDMI cable I don't think I should have a problem watching US TV. Its also not costing me to ship it so I don't have that as a negative. I was told today in passing by the person from the company who is arranging my move that a lot of people take their TV's to the US these days, but she ahs heard that the TV should not be left on overnight. I'm assuming this is bassed on the extra heat generated by the transformer and the fire risk. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2)I was also planning on transporting my subwoofer but given the heat issues with the transformer mentioned above I am having 2nd thoughts.

3) I have a DAB radio. As the US doesn't support DAB AFAIK there is no point me bringing this.

Thanks.

S Folinsky Oct 4th 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Check the specifications of the units to see if they are dual voltage. That is quite common.

DAB does not exists in the US.

Also, check out US prices -- the prices have dropped dramatically.

helwardman Oct 4th 2011 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by kerednai (Post 9656565)
I am aware that I would need a step down transformer.

You'll get better results with a step-up transformer.

Jerseygirl Oct 4th 2011 12:53 pm

Transformers do get very hot. It's been mentioned on here before...check out your house insurance policy...the use of one may invalidate a claim if there's a fire.

Weeze Oct 4th 2011 1:11 pm

We use the UK tv with the uk games systems. The transformers are expensive, make a constant whirring sound and get hot. We have them on for the bare minimum. They would really annoy me if we had to use it with our main tv.

fatbrit Oct 4th 2011 1:41 pm

Hi,
I am moving the US at the end of the month and am looking for some advise.
1) I have a UK LCD TV that I would like to take to the US as it cost quite a bit when I bought it and handles fast moving sports like soccer very well - the main reason I bought it. Anyway I am aware that I would need a step down transformer but as long as I connect it to digital or cable outputting via an HDMI cable I don't think I should have a problem watching US TV. Its also not costing me to ship it so I don't have that as a negative. I was told today in passing by the person from the company who is arranging my move that a lot of people take their TV's to the US these days, but she ahs heard that the TV should not be left on overnight. I'm assuming this is bassed on the extra heat generated by the transformer and the fire risk. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2)I was also planning on transporting my subwoofer but given the heat issues with the transformer mentioned above I am having 2nd thoughts.

3) I have a DAB radio. As the US doesn't support DAB AFAIK there is no point me bringing this.

Thanks.

To add to the reasons not to, TVs don't travel well.

Sell it and use the money to buy a new one here.

anotherlimey Oct 4th 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9656647)
Transformers do get very hot. It's been mentioned on here before...check out your house insurance policy...the use of one may invalidate a claim if there's a fire.

That's crazy, loads of electrical items use a transformer of some type.

wtkp0u Oct 4th 2011 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9656627)
DAB does not exists in the US.

As with pretty much everything else, US went with its own standard - HDRadio

md95065 Oct 4th 2011 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 9656860)

Yes - the problem isn't the use of a transformer - it is the use of one that isn't adequately rated and isn't mounted in a proper enclosure with sufficient cooling - ie most of the ones that people end up buying ... :(

ljaw2002uk Oct 4th 2011 3:47 pm

Moving electrical items to the US just doesn't make sense. Sell it and get a new one when you get here, save yourself an awful lot of hassle!

anotherlimey Oct 4th 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9656895)
Yes - the problem isn't the use of a transformer - it is the use of one that isn't adequately rated and isn't mounted in a proper enclosure with sufficient cooling - ie most of the ones that people end up buying ... :(

The transformers that came with my last 3 laptops all produce a significant amount of heat!

The transformer on my current laptop could probably be used to fry an egg.

Bob Oct 4th 2011 5:07 pm

I am moving the US at the end of the month...

Blimey....good luck with that :lol:

As for the gear, ditch it, all of it.

Bob Oct 4th 2011 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 9656920)
The transformers that came with my last 3 laptops all produce a significant amount of heat!

And multiply that up to something sucking the power of a tele and you've got a massive fire risk, especially if it's left on standby.

Jerseygirl Oct 4th 2011 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 9656860)

We had one so we could use our UK TV. It was the size and weight of a brick and got very, very hot. We always made sure it was unplugged from the mains after it was used. It was used approx 4 hrs per week.

helwardman Oct 4th 2011 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 9656920)

If you mean the laptop power supply, then that isn't simply a transformer but a switched-mode power supply.