Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

kerednai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Hi,
I am moving the US at the end of the month and am looking for some advise.
1) I have a UK LCD TV that I would like to take to the US as it cost quite a bit when I bought it and handles fast moving sports like soccer very well - the main reason I bought it. Anyway I am aware that I would need a step down transformer but as long as I connect it to digital or cable outputting via an HDMI cable I don't think I should have a problem watching US TV. Its also not costing me to ship it so I don't have that as a negative. I was told today in passing by the person from the company who is arranging my move that a lot of people take their TV's to the US these days, but she ahs heard that the TV should not be left on overnight. I'm assuming this is bassed on the extra heat generated by the transformer and the fire risk. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2)I was also planning on transporting my subwoofer but given the heat issues with the transformer mentioned above I am having 2nd thoughts.

3) I have a DAB radio. As the US doesn't support DAB AFAIK there is no point me bringing this.

Thanks.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on electrical equipment (Transformer heat)

Check the specifications of the units to see if they are dual voltage. That is quite common.

DAB does not exists in the US.

Also, check out US prices -- the prices have dropped dramatically.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerednai
I am aware that I would need a step down transformer.
You'll get better results with a step-up transformer.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Transformers do get very hot. It's been mentioned on here before...check out your house insurance policy...the use of one may invalidate a claim if there's a fire.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:11 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We use the UK tv with the uk games systems. The transformers are expensive, make a constant whirring sound and get hot. We have them on for the bare minimum. They would really annoy me if we had to use it with our main tv.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I am moving the US at the end of the month and am looking for some advise.
1) I have a UK LCD TV that I would like to take to the US as it cost quite a bit when I bought it and handles fast moving sports like soccer very well - the main reason I bought it. Anyway I am aware that I would need a step down transformer but as long as I connect it to digital or cable outputting via an HDMI cable I don't think I should have a problem watching US TV. Its also not costing me to ship it so I don't have that as a negative. I was told today in passing by the person from the company who is arranging my move that a lot of people take their TV's to the US these days, but she ahs heard that the TV should not be left on overnight. I'm assuming this is bassed on the extra heat generated by the transformer and the fire risk. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2)I was also planning on transporting my subwoofer but given the heat issues with the transformer mentioned above I am having 2nd thoughts.

3) I have a DAB radio. As the US doesn't support DAB AFAIK there is no point me bringing this.

Thanks.
To add to the reasons not to, TVs don't travel well.

Sell it and use the money to buy a new one here.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Transformers do get very hot. It's been mentioned on here before...check out your house insurance policy...the use of one may invalidate a claim if there's a fire.
That's crazy, loads of electrical items use a transformer of some type.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
DAB does not exists in the US.
As with pretty much everything else, US went with its own standard - HDRadio
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Yes - the problem isn't the use of a transformer - it is the use of one that isn't adequately rated and isn't mounted in a proper enclosure with sufficient cooling - ie most of the ones that people end up buying ...
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:47 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Moving electrical items to the US just doesn't make sense. Sell it and get a new one when you get here, save yourself an awful lot of hassle!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes - the problem isn't the use of a transformer - it is the use of one that isn't adequately rated and isn't mounted in a proper enclosure with sufficient cooling - ie most of the ones that people end up buying ...
The transformers that came with my last 3 laptops all produce a significant amount of heat!

The transformer on my current laptop could probably be used to fry an egg.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving the US at the end of the month...
Blimey....good luck with that

As for the gear, ditch it, all of it.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The transformers that came with my last 3 laptops all produce a significant amount of heat!

And multiply that up to something sucking the power of a tele and you've got a massive fire risk, especially if it's left on standby.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had one so we could use our UK TV. It was the size and weight of a brick and got very, very hot. We always made sure it was unplugged from the mains after it was used. It was used approx 4 hrs per week.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean the laptop power supply, then that isn't simply a transformer but a switched-mode power supply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.