Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on work authorisation please

Advice on work authorisation please

Old Nov 18th 2015, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

moNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on work authorisation please

Hi all

Just want to check something about work authorisation. I live in the US on an L2 visa (dependent - allowed to work but need to get authorisation). A company I used to work for in the UK asked if I could sporadically do some work for them, I am still considering it, but on practical terms I think I would need to reactivate my UK sole trader status I guess... do the work remotely and get paid in my UK account.

So the question is - do I need to have a US work authorisation for UK work? I am thinking I may but wanted to check... Also, if I had a US authorisation, would I still need to reactivate my UK sole trader status? I guess if I get paid in the UK the answer is yes?

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 2:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on work authorisation please

You need the EAD approval if you are doing the work while in the US. You will also have to pay US income and payroll taxes. I don't see any need under those circumstances to "activate" anything in the UK because you aren't going to be liable for any taxes in the UK, unless you start doing any work while back in the UK. Returning to the UK for meetings and the such shouldn't be enough to trigger a UK tax liability.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moNYC
... do I need to have a US work authorisation for UK work?
Yes.

... if I had a US authorisation, would I still need to reactivate my UK sole trader status?
No.

Ian
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

moNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I assumed I would be liable for UK tax if getting paid in the UK and not the US. Now to figure out how to get the EAD...

thanks again!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I assumed I would be liable for UK tax if getting paid in the UK and not the US. Now to figure out how to get the EAD...

thanks again!
Www.uscis.gov, form I-765.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I assumed I would be liable for UK tax if getting paid in the UK and not the US. ......
Nope, you pay the tax where you are when you do the work. If that wasn't the case we would all be having our pay credited to accounts at banks on islands in the Caribbean.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene and Pulaski so true, LOL!
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:13 am

Thanks Rene and Pulaski .....
You're welcome.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again,

So apparently the EAD card can take up to 90 days to be issued after you file all the paperwork.
Is there any legal way I could do some work from home for a UK company before that is issued or not really?

Happy Thanksgiving! Off to attempt my first pecan and pumpkin pies!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:29 pm

Hello again,

So apparently the EAD card can take up to 90 days to be issued after you file all the paperwork.
Is there any legal way I could do some work from home for a UK company before that is issued or not really? .....
Legally, "no", assuming you are physically in the US. ...... But also bear in mind that any money you earn while physically in the US must be declared on your tax return, whether or not you were working legally. Tax fraud is a whole different matter from working while not authorized to do so.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, thanks Pulaski. I wouldn't mind being paid after getting the card (and declaring of course) only but that would still mean I would be working without the authorisation, being paid or not. So just need to get on with the paperwork...

Thanks again!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 2:02 pm

Okay, thanks Pulaski. I wouldn't mind being paid after getting the card (and declaring of course) only but that would still mean I would be working without the authorisation, being paid or not. So just need to get on with the paperwork...

Thanks again!
You're welcome. ..... Happy Thanksgiving, and I recommend skipping the pumpkin pie, it is the most over-rated dessert known to man!
Old Nov 26th 2015, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're welcome. ..... Happy Thanksgiving, and I recommend skipping the pumpkin pie, it is the most over-rated dessert known to man!
Could not agree more. Pecan pie for me every time!