Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for UK to Cali move

Advice for UK to Cali move

Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

ned1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Advice for UK to Cali move

Hi All,
Sorry if this has already been covered in other posts! Im new to this forum and I dont fit in with the typical questions. I was born in the USA so have dual nationality and am trying to move over there to be with my partner after living in the UK since I was 3.

I've been advised that applying for a social security number while in the UK can be a drawn out process and I am better doing this in the USA as it will only take a week or 2. I understand I will get a temporary number of some sort while I wait, is this correct?

I am also trying to work out what to do about banks, I will be earning a reasonable wage (once I actually find a job over there) but my UK bank account has been in the red since I was a student and I live in my overdraft. Will this matter in the US? Do they do checks on your existing banks? I haven't had any court judgements or defaults but my balance isnt as rosy as it should be!!

Are there any banks I should stay away from, or ones you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help
Ned
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for UK to Cali move

Originally Posted by ned1983
I am better doing this in the USA as it will only take a week or 2. I understand I will get a temporary number of some sort while I wait, is this correct?
Well, supposedly you can get the number after a couple of weeks but you might not get the physical card for a little longer.

I am also trying to work out what to do about banks, I will be earning a reasonable wage (once I actually find a job over there) but my UK bank account has been in the red since I was a student and I live in my overdraft. Will this matter in the US? Do they do checks on your existing banks? I haven't had any court judgements or defaults but my balance isnt as rosy as it should be!!
I don't think they can check, especially if you haven't had any defaults. I wouldn't run away from your debts though, in case that ever crossed your mind, as they can catch up with you should you ever need to return to the UK (and, admittedly, from a personal point of view, why should I pay for your debts that you've run away from!).
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:58 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ned,

Just another couple of considerations, in case you're not aware of them. If you are over 18 you should be filing US tax returns each year, and if you are male and between 18 and 26 (I think) you should register for the Selective Service.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

ned1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I had no idea, I need to look into the tax returns then. Is this for income earned abroad? As I have never worked (left when I was 3) in the US I assumed that I didnt need to do anything like that.

I wasnt planning of running away from my debts, but i was concerned that i wouldnt get a bank account over there. What do i typically need documentation wise to start a new bank account in the US?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:26 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I had no idea, I need to look into the tax returns then. Is this for income earned abroad? As I have never worked (left when I was 3) in the US I assumed that I didnt need to do anything like that.
It is extremely unlikely that you owe the US anything as you will have been paying taxes in the UK, the US and UK have a tax treaty that will take this into account.

I wasnt planning of running away from my debts, but i was concerned that i wouldnt get a bank account over there. What do i typically need documentation wise to start a new bank account in the US?
Definitely don't run away from any debt, you have no idea what the future holds, and may come to regret it if you do. Passport and proof of your US address should be fine, it's a lot easier to open a bank account here than it is in the UK.

Good luck with your move!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

What do i typically need documentation wise to start a new bank account in the US?
Some form of id is all that is required - your US passport will be OK. They will want your social security number once you get one but you can open an account without it (although you may have trouble convincing some bank employees of that).

Your biggest problem is that, just like a new immigrant, you will have no US credit history and will have to go through the same steps as everyone else to build one - there is lots of advice on that in various threads and in the wiki on this site. The good news is that your current debt in the UK will not factor into any of this.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:23 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are three major issues relating to your US citizenship you should clear up.

1) Selective service. If you are over 18, you need to register for military conscription (i.e. the draft). Of course they haven't drafted anyone in 30 years, and the requirement is basically so we can fight off a Soviet invasion of Europe, but still the paperwork is there and there are many government programs that require you to certify that you have registered for military service.

2) Tax returns. US citizens have to pay taxes on all income worldwide regardless of where they are living. Of course there are credits and exclusions that render the tax due to about $0 for most average Americans living overseas, but there is still this requirement.

3) FBAR. You need to report any foreign bank account over $10,000 US every year. The penalties for this are SEVERE so please check into this first on your own (i.e. accountant, lawyer, google searching) before talking to the US embassy about your lack of previous filings.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Well, apparently I have "missed the boat" for Selective Service as I am 28. If I ever need a federal job or some such I have to plead my case to the awarding body each time. "show by a preponderance of evidence that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible."

I dont have $10,000 or I would already have moved to the US!

So it just leaves me to fill in some tax returns.
God there's a lot of bureaucratic nonsense!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Rikki_v6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been advised that applying for a social security number while in the UK can be a drawn out process and I am better doing this in the USA as it will only take a week or 2. I understand I will get a temporary number of some sort while I wait, is this correct?
Hi Ned,

It could be different as you don't need a Visa, but when I opted to have my SS number taken care of while in the UK, it was a right pain! The process actually didn't happen so on arrival to the US i was told to wait 3 weeks and call if I have no SS. I didn't receive it, so called and they just told me "there were problems". No one told me about those "problems".

Anyway, I had to go apply directly at the SS office (started from scratch) which took all of 30 mins and then I was able to return the next day and get my number. Nice and easy. If i knew that before my Visa app, I would have opted OUT of getting the Embassy to organise my SS number and not had to wait the 3 weeks. The card then arrived about 10 days later.

Hope this helps you out.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

God there's a lot of bureaucratic nonsense!
Believe me, you have it easy - if you were a non-US citizen trying to immigrate to the US there is 100 times more ...
Old Oct 15th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Hehe, I know! Very lucky.

Although not sure how to deal with these tax returns, lots of very boring reading by the sounds of it.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, I know! Very lucky.

Although not sure how to deal with these tax returns, lots of very boring reading by the sounds of it.
You only have to file returns for the years that you made more than a certain amount of money and normally only for the past three years. If it is likely that you don't owe any taxes, I wouldn't bother since you are not immigrating and returns are not required and if the IRS requests back returns, you can fill them out then. Just try to keep records of you previous UK income and taxes paid in case the IRS requests back returns.

There is no penalty for not filing returns if you don't owe taxes and don't need to declare FBAR accounts.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 15th 2011 at 6:51 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Well, apparently I have "missed the boat" for Selective Service as I am 28. If I ever need a federal job or some such I have to plead my case to the awarding body each time. "show by a preponderance of evidence that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible."
You didn't miss the boat. You were only required to register if you were residing in the US when you were between the ages of 18 and 26, so if this ever becomes an issue you just have to show that you were residing elsewhere during those years.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,
Just giving you an update and adding more queries!
I got a job (YAY *big-fat-smileyface*) working for SitnSleep at their headquarters in LA. I start on April 30th.

I went to the SSA and got my SSN application in with them using my partners address and also set up a "visitors" checking account with Bank of America (which they will turn into a full one when my SSN arrives).

I now need to hire/lease/buy a car. I assume i wont get a car on finance or lease arrangement without a credit check, and as I have no credit score over there yet what do you reckon I should do?

Thanks for all your help and support!
Ned
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I now need to hire/lease/buy a car. I assume i wont get a car on finance or lease arrangement without a credit check, and as I have no credit score over there yet what do you reckon I should do?
Congrats!

I'd start by having a nose at the other hundred threads on car/credit advice though, there's probably a good handful on the first page alone covering buying new, secondhand, lease and new immigrant/global transfer type programs from the manufacturers, so that should cover a range of budgets you might have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.