Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on tv purchase

Advice on tv purchase

Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default Advice on tv purchase

Hi,

Keeping in Mind that I have moved over to The US (florida) from England and have brought with me my 300+ DVD library.

So I am looking for a region free dvd system and a TV home theatre system.

On the TV, is there anything it has to have to play my region 2 DVDs through the region free DVD player?

What would be best, A TV with sound bar system and a basic DVD.

Or just a TV with an attached region free home theatre system.

The questions may be confused, think how confused I was in Best Buy!
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on tv purchase

Go on Amazon there are loads of very cheap region free DVD players. Cross reference the model numbers with one of the many websites that list the unlocking codes just to make sure. Philips tends to be a good bet with region free I recall. You'll want to make sure the DVD player has HDMI out.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:50 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a multi-region DVD player and hooked it up to a tv. I think we even used Amazon.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-C5.../dp/B003ANVQWU

I got that for $30 on Amazon sale and cracked it myself using: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sa...dvd-c500/11033

Pretty decent DVD player, though the CEC controls are a pain in my arse.

Philips is another decent bet....but finding cheap dvd players isn't as easy as it used to be a few years ago.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"What would be best, A TV with sound bar system and a basic DVD."

Why would you think a soundbar would be the best you can get? That's what a very basic system would consist of.

A decent system would be a surround sound amp, there's tons of choice between $400 and $700, and a speaker package.

Tell you what..head over to avsforum.com and register...you'll get tons of help.

Also check out http://www.soundandvision.com/content/top-picks
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

There are some very good soundbars on the market now I'm considering going down that route when we immergrate I like the sonus soundbar However more manufacturers need to include. HDMI inputs on them like B&W.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine there are some good ones but the best soundbar couldn't compete with a decent discrete surround package. They do have their advantages like cost and neatness though and really it comes down to what the purchaser is happy with.
Let us know what you eventually decide on.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice...don't worry about watching DVDs or too much TV...Get out and about and enjoy the sunshine.....that's what people do in UK...work, go home 'sit it front of the box' ....sure the rain means there are limited choices to live a normal outdoor life
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Chico.
He didn't ask for your advice on what you'd prefer to do.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
Chico.
He didn't ask for your advice on what you'd prefer to do.
sure ...are you his spokesman / woman ?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
But he is buying a TV. I have one too, but that doesn't mean I don't get outside and do stuff, and he asked for advice on buying a TV, not what he should do with his time!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But he is buying a TV. I have one too, but that doesn't mean I don't get outside and do stuff, and he asked for advice on buying a TV, not what he should do with his time!
fair point.

can you get sky sports in US
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sportychico
No, I am not his spokesman. The OP is and was quite capable of asking his questions.

However you apparently didn't understand his original question.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
No, I am not his spokesman. The OP is and was quite capable of asking his questions.

However you apparently didn't understand his original question.
KOK
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:57 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You bought the wrong one. My TV saves me from having to go outside much at all.

As for the OP, lots easily available. I have two Phillips units currently, one Bluray, one not. Before that, a Toshiba.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ree+dvd+player

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.