Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Those Emigrating or Those Just Emigrated to America

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'll make this easy for everyone.

Just click the link below and press the 'Submit' button.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/profi...ddlist&u=41630

Thanka anotherlimey!!! You're a superstar. I was wondering how to do that.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:27 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

I'll make this easy for everyone.

Just click the link below and press the 'Submit' button.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/profi...ddlist&u=41630

And here's another one thinking for the group, or more appropriately, the wolfpack.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hob Nob anyone?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:28 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Thanka anotherlimey!!! You're a superstar. I was wondering how to do that.

Nice to meet you too.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hob Nob anyone?
or Popcorn?

If everyone puts the little troll on ignore, he'll have to resort to talking to himself - that will make him happy again because he'll be talking to someone who agrees with him.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:53 pm
Banned

or Popcorn?

If everyone puts the little troll on ignore, he'll have to resort to talking to himself - that will make him happy again because he'll be talking to someone who agrees with him.
You are not doing such a good job of ignoring me why hobnobbing with your group.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

yorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
You have not read my posts or have not read them carefully enough. I have been quite clear. I can also clearly and easily distinguisgh between constructive and respectable criticism and anti-Americanism.
Oh I have read them carefully enough - I took 3 whole days carefully reading them before deciding to start posting where I knew you would reply. Whilst there were certainly some gripes (especially in the appropriately named thread "What disturbs you about America") none of them were ANTI American - by Anti I am taking this in it's literal sense of "against" I would say that people here are very Pro American, but have legitimate concerns, this does not make them against America by any standards.

Well, if you plan on moving here don't be surprised if your sarcasm, assuming it is like many of the characters in this forum, is viewed for what it is, simply being whining and very rude. Don't expect the natives to try and understand something that is fundamentally negative and to conform to your ways.
Please don't assume anything about me or my sense of humour, neither you, nor anyone else here knows me well enough to make this sort of assumption, and I have CERTAINLY not been whining nor rude to you or anyone else, I have gone out of my way to be civil and explain myself to you, frankly to assume this is me is to make yourself into the very rude person you describe. I would appreciate an apology if you feel it within you to make it. I have visited the USA on many occasions, and, apart from some occasional challenges with my broad Yorkshire accent, I have had no problems whatsoever in conversing with people, both seriously and in a jocular sense. Admittedly it is easier for this to be understood in a face to face verbal sense than in text on a screen, but on no occasion have I ever expected anyone, you included to conform to my ways, more the reverse, I have and will continue to, conformed with them.

I do not try and speak for people within this forum because I need support and because I am trying to form a wolfpack against someone. That is what I refer to when I point the "we" and the "us" out to people. I have made that quite clear. Many people in cliques or that are insecure about their positions need that positive support and reinforcement. I don't. I really don't care if my opinion goes against the group, the clique, or the wolfpack.
And erm... where do I fit into this comment to myself?

If I am making a generalized reference about fellow Americans and our culture then I would say that is fair as I obviously know more about my own culture than an immigrant would just as it is fair to say that you as a Brit know your culture better than I ever will.
Ah! Well at least you accept one of my points, as of course I do about you knowing more of your culture. Which is why I said it is a shame that we cannot share more in your knowledge and assistance.

Regards

Steve
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by yorkie
Oh I have read them carefully enough - I took 3 whole days carefully reading them before deciding to start posting where I knew you would reply. Whilst there were certainly some gripes (especially in the appropriately named thread "What disturbs you about America") none of them were ANTI American - by Anti I am taking this in it's literal sense of "against" I would say that people here are very Pro American, but have legitimate concerns, this does not make them against America by any standards.
Your are biased and very apologetic to the members of this group. I think you are more afraid of offending your friends by telling them what they really are.

Please don't assume anything about me or my sense of humour, neither you, nor anyone else here knows me well enough to make this sort of assumption,

I haven't assumed anything. When Americans say what I wrote, and what you quoted, it is merely a statement of whether it may be applicable or not. If it doesn't apply to you then don't worry about it. I would remember that if you still decide to come over.

and I have CERTAINLY not been whining nor rude to you or anyone else, I have gone out of my way to be civil and explain myself to you, frankly to assume this is me is to make yourself into the very rude person you describe. I would appreciate an apology if you feel it within you to make it.
No apology is needed. My prior answer still applies.

I have visited the USA on many occasions, and, apart from some occasional challenges with my broad Yorkshire accent, I have had no problems whatsoever in conversing with people, both seriously and in a jocular sense. Admittedly it is easier for this to be understood in a face to face verbal sense than in text on a screen, but on no occasion have I ever expected anyone, you included to conform to my ways, more the reverse, I have and will continue to, conformed with them.
Good for you; and as long as you do so you shouldn't have any problems during your stay.

And erm... where do I fit into this comment to myself?
Sorry, you lost me.

Ah! Well at least you accept one of my points, as of course I do about you knowing more of your culture. Which is why I said it is a shame that we cannot share more in your knowledge and assistance.

Regards

Steve
I accept what I have said. Don't know how it exactly relates to what you have said thus far. You need to also keep in mind that you are coming to my country and not the other way around.

You, or anyone else can "share more" in my knowledge or assistance if you choose to do so. Any sarcastic, rude, or anti-American remarks will be addressed as I have already done.

Last edited by Fig Newton; Aug 4th 2005 at 2:08 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:10 pm
Mr Bond to you.

cadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fig Newton]It is likely that this thread will not last for too long as at least one person that has the power to censor threads that they don't like will likely have their way again. See the thread, and specifically the last post, "Things that disturb you about the US" to see what I mean.

As a brit soon (hopefully) about to live and work in America I am alittle surprised this advise is required. It is quite valid, mostly, and would not disagree................but, most people who take the time, which is usually considerable, and effort to try and move to the US, are of a certain charichter which would be mindfull of such things.
I for one am looking forward to the differences between the UK and the US, or why would I bother moving at all ?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:23 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=cadman1]
It is likely that this thread will not last for too long as at least one person that has the power to censor threads that they don't like will likely have their way again. See the thread, and specifically the last post, "Things that disturb you about the US" to see what I mean.

As a brit soon (hopefully) about to live and work in America I am alittle surprised this advise is required. It is quite valid, mostly, and would not disagree................but, most people who take the time, which is usually considerable, and effort to try and move to the US, are of a certain charichter which would be mindfull of such things.
I for one am looking forward to the differences between the UK and the US, or why would I bother moving at all ?

Why are surprised to read that? Your last sentence is in accordance with what I wrote about a thread being censored, assuming you also wish to read about differences.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

yorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant future

Your are biased and very apologetic to the members of this group. I think you are more afraid of offending your friends by telling them what they really are.
Friends?? What friends would these be? I have only been a member here for about 4 hours, I have no friends here at all, merely a few names that I recognise from reading the postings. If anything the nearest I have to a friend here is yourself, as I have spoken to you more than anyone! If you yourself do not consider yourself my friend than how can you suggest that anyone else here is my friend?

I haven't assumed anything.
Yes, you have, in your own words from post number 142 "assuming it is like many of the characters in this forum"

No apology is needed. My prior answer still applies.
An apology IS now required and any reasonable and well intentioned person would do so, as you now have made assumptions about me and your prior answer does not apply.

Sorry, you lost me.
Wasn't hard was it?

You need to also keep in mind that you are coming to my country and not the other way around.
Ummm I thought that was the very point of these forums, for expat Brits their partners and families and potential expats

You, or anyone else can "share more" in my knowledge or assistance if you choose to do so. Any sarcastic, rude, or anti-American remarks will be addressed as I have already done.
Is that a threat? albeit a mild one, it sems like you are warning me from saying what I feel. Sorry but I will say whatever I feel, where and whenever I wish to. I am the most pro American person i have ever met - and that includes almost every American I have come into contact with. I genuinely like (and love) Americans and America - so far I have found only one person who is an exception to this rule

Steve
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:53 pm
Banned

Friends?? What friends would these be? I have only been a member here for about 4 hours, I have no friends here at all, merely a few names that I recognise from reading the postings. If anything the nearest I have to a friend here is yourself, as I have spoken to you more than anyone! If you yourself do not consider yourself my friend than how can you suggest that anyone else here is my friend?

Yes, you have, in your own words from post number 142 "assuming it is like many of the characters in this forum"

An apology IS now required and any reasonable and well intentioned person would do so, as you now have made assumptions about me and your prior answer does not apply.

Wasn't hard was it?

Ummm I thought that was the very point of these forums, for expat Brits their partners and families and potential expats

Is that a threat? albeit a mild one, it sems like you are warning me from saying what I feel. Sorry but I will say whatever I feel, where and whenever I wish to. I am the most pro American person i have ever met - and that includes almost every American I have come into contact with. I genuinely like (and love) Americans and America - so far I have found only one person who is an exception to this rule

Steve
"Threat???" Your posts are no longer making sense to what I have clearly said. You are looking for hiddden meanings behind the literal.

I've already explained the "assuming" comment. Either you did not read my response or you choose to ignore what I have said.

As for you not having any friends here because you have not been here long enough then substitute not offending compatriots instead.

Also, please cut down your questions or points to no more than two or so if you wish for me to address each one.

Finally, I having nothing to apologize to you about.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:54 pm
Banned

Got to run. Have a nice day.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

"Threat???" Your posts are no longer making sense to what I have clearly said. You are looking for hiddden meanings behind the literal.

I've already explained the "assuming" comment. Either you did not read my response or you choose to ignore what I have said.

As for you not having any friends here because you have not been here long enough then substitute not offending compatriots instead.

Also, please cut down your questions or points to no more than two or so if you wish for me to address each one.

Finally, I having nothing to apologize to you about.
I think I have you on the run - you cannot or will not answer my very legitimate points raised.

If you will not apologise then I have no more to say to you, I will be taking up the very kind offer to place you on my ignore list - in all my time on the internet and forums i have never done this to anyone before, so you are honoured in being so intransigent and intolerant.

Oh, and finally, it's a shame you missed the irony of the last sentence of my last posting and the winking smiley

Goodbye
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

In fact,this whole issue is about to take the prize for "most pointless discussion" on BE in recent memory.
to overtake the shining armour of Guinevere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.