Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice required - emigrating to US

Advice required - emigrating to US

Old Jan 18th 2002, 11:49 am
Just Joined

markfearnley is an unknown quantity at this point

Please could anyone advise me?

My fiancee (UK citizen)has been offered a job working for her company (UK based) in the USA office. Will I be able to accompany her now or will we have to be married first? I am also a UK citizen.

Also, will I be eligible to work in the USA? I presently do not have a job in the States to go to and would have to find work once we were there?

Your advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Jan 18th 2002, 8:36 pm
Jb

markfearnley wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If your fiancee obtains an H-1B visa for the US you must be married in order to get
H4 status to enter with her. I don't believe the US recognizes the concept of
unmarried parther for visa purposes.

>
    >

As an H4 holder you cannot legally work. Do a web search for H-1B and you will find a
lot of information

Old Jan 19th 2002, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

JasonPrince is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not an expert but I think you would have to get married to be allowed to come with her, and once here you would not be allowed to work. Check the INS web site.

Old Jan 19th 2002, 6:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to be married to accompany your fiancée on her job transfer.

If she is going to issued an L-1 visa then you may be lucky. There is a bill currently going through that would permit spouses of L-1 intracompany transferees to apply for employment authorization in the United States.

If I am reading the latest news on http://www.shusterman.com/ correctly, then it appears that President bush signed this bill on January 16th. Although I don't know how long it will take before it is implemented.

Sue