Reload this Page >

advice please

Wikiposts

advice please

Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough
Default advice please

my wife , daughter and me are moving to florida next year legally. i was fortunate to get a green card.
I am a floorlayer and find it quite confusing about what i need to actually start a business from home. i have joined an american flooring forum but to be honnest as soon as they find out where your going they don't really want to help.
i have been looking at this site for quite a while and followed links to business set up and licences, but to be honnest don't no which one i would need, don't no what else apart from public liability i'd need, like i said to start of i'll work from home by myself, so do you need workmans comp?
we are moving to florida by the way.
so, to the point, is there anyone on here who could maybe point me in the right direction or maybe even a floorlayer who has done this.
many thanks
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please

I would start like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+start+a+business+in+florida
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

couple of good sites havn't seen,put them in favorites for later reading.
But this is the problem with a lot of these sites ive been on, just don't get it.
i find it easier if someone was to explain.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

The reason it may be confusing is that each state, county, and city have different procedures and laws and ordinances regulating businesses and the issuing of business licenses. My advice would be to check with the small business association (or another similar organization) in the area you will be living in and see if the local members can give you any information. Best of luck to you and your family in your new adventure. Don't forget about checking into health insurance policies!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

thanks for that. hadn't really thought about health insurance just yet
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tipex
couple of good sites havn't seen,put them in favorites for later reading.
But this is the problem with a lot of these sites ive been on, just don't get it.
i find it easier if someone was to explain.
I'm sure you would find it easier for someone to do that. There is more to it than 3 steps though.
Normally you would pay for that sort of service.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that. hadn't really thought about health insurance just yet
IMO that should be your #1 priority. As you don't have jobs providing healthcare insurance you will have to pay out a large chunk of cash each month if you want health insurance. On top of that you will have deductibles, co-pays, medications, dental and optical fees. Without insurance...a broken leg could cost you $10K+. There is no such thing as the NHS here.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

my wife , daughter and me are moving to florida next year legally. i was fortunate to get a green card.
I am a floorlayer and find it quite confusing about what i need to actually start a business from home. i have joined an american flooring forum but to be honnest as soon as they find out where your going they don't really want to help.
i have been looking at this site for quite a while and followed links to business set up and licences, but to be honnest don't no which one i would need, don't no what else apart from public liability i'd need, like i said to start of i'll work from home by myself, so do you need workmans comp?
we are moving to florida by the way.
so, to the point, is there anyone on here who could maybe point me in the right direction or maybe even a floorlayer who has done this.
many thanks
http://www.sunbiz.org/index.html

you will probably also need occupational licences
Old Jun 24th 2011, 1:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Find out about medical insurance, that's number 1.

Find out about getting licensed, that's number 2.

Setting up a business is easy, if you want someone to hold your hand, hire a lawyer. You probably want one to go over your liability issues as well.

Find out about said liability insurance and all the rest of the cover you're going to need.

You don't say where in Florida, so that's about as much help as you'll get.