Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice please

Advice please

Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I am still happily with my husband, but I too have thought about whether to stay or go home. It's a difficult decision, especially when you are not yet a citizen of the US. I agree with what others have said about giving it a go here first. Go home for your holiday and have fun, then come back refreshed and see what you can figure out for yourself here. That's probably what i'd do.

I've felt homesick a lot over the past year or so, and I have the strong pull of family and friends too, but I do feel pretty lucky to have been given the opportunity to live and work in the US. As others have also said, if you go home now for good, you may not be able to come back. However, that said, there's not much point in staying here if you're very unhappy.
Thanks Noorah, i`m expecting my extension letter any day now, plus my green card doesnt expire until Sept. I`m going to the UK for only 10 days. I leave in a weeks time.

Thanks for all your advice. I`m gonna go to the UK, have a nice holiday and come back to the US and at least give it a go here. If things dont work out in the US i can always say at least i tried and not wonder "what if ".
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

There are a lot of career opportunities in the US. However, life is not all about work. I understand the pull of family. It's a difficult choice. This is the expats dilemma! Very frustrating. I will say that having lived in the US for 17 years, I have experienced things that I would have never experienced living in Manchester. I have lived a life style that only wealthier people live in the UK and that has been wonderful (eating out a lot, travel, my own home, car etc). There are so many opportunities in the US that it is hard to leave that behind, however, I think about going home a lot. I have been in the UK a lot these last few years for one reason or another and I do find it quite ageist. I am 41 and the number of comments I hear about being 'over 40' (looking good over 40, finding work over 40, dating over 40 etc) is quite astounding. I am not used to that in the US. I never think about being over 40 in the US, but here it does seem to imply something. It makes me feel that it would be hard to find good, high paying work here at my age (I have tried. I do try each time I come back and I have never found anything that would compare with what I do in the US). However, if someone were to offer me a job at a decent salary here I would take it in a heart beat. In this economy though, I don't think it's going to happen. I have resigned myself to maybe living in both worlds until I retire. Good luck with you plans.